Ive been playing for about 3 months and i can only play the F chord fluently at about 66 BPM.
so im just wondering if im progressing at a good rate with my E barre shapes and i wanna compare so please post how long it took you from the very first time you pick up the guitar to the point where you fluently had your f chord at lets say 112+BPM.
(112 is my goal. been working on the fshape for about 3weeks)
Last edited by Hullucinate at Sep 20, 2009,
It took me a while to get barre chords down, and F was the hardest cos it's right at the nut. I don't remember how long exactly.

If you can't get it down, why not just use a power chord as a sort of "abbreviation" of the full F chord?

Or just play the bottom 4 strings, with one finger per note:
e----
B----
G--2-
D--3-
A--3-
E--1-
well i dont want to take the easy way out..i want to be able to play what ever comes up on the sheet music..
and IMO i dont see power chords as real chords...but i know nothing of theory so take with a grain of salt
Last edited by Hullucinate at Sep 20, 2009,
It took me about a month of practicing maybe 30 minutes every day or so. The main thing you'll have trouble with is barring the string though, so try just barring over the entire first fret at first, and once you have enough strength to do that, add the rest of the fingers in, and then try practicing switching to and from F major from and to other chords. And yeah, I agree with what you're saying about power chords not being real chords (even though I think they are).
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
A few years of playing to play it fluently in everything I see it in.

But with practice on the F in a certain piece a few minutes working on it after a year-ish.
My first encounter with barre chords was back when I was trying to learn by myself..I wanted to learn Under the Bridge by the RHCP..a week of practicing that piece and barre chords went just fine...I recommend learning stuff like that. Barre chords that are easy to switch between..won't hurt.
It took a couple of months, B was harder for me. I think the easiest barre chords are the ones with the Am shape (Bbm, Bm, Cm, etc).
F is the hardest, like people have said it's right by the nut so it's harder to fret. If you can play the F and Bb chords cleanly then you can play any other barre chords.

Don't just play the chord over and over though, the speed is irrelevant because once the chord is fretted that's the difficult part done. Instead, concentrate on practicing changing between the F chord and various other chords, both open and barred...because that will actually help you use it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by Guitarfreak777
A few years of playing to play it fluently in everything I see it in.

But with practice on the F in a certain piece a few minutes working on it after a year-ish.

A year?? To get one chord down?

Just keep practicing the transitions to the F chord, do this for at least 10 minutes a day, and you should be able to switch to it smoothly within a month.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by steven seagull
F is the hardest, like people have said it's right by the nut so it's harder to fret. If you can play the F and Bb chords cleanly then you can play any other barre chords.

Don't just play the chord over and over though, the speed is irrelevant because once the chord is fretted that's the difficult part done. Instead, concentrate on practicing changing between the F chord and various other chords, both open and barred...because that will actually help you use it.

playing the F chord isnt the problem i can do that just fine but its switching from chord wheres theres no anchor..like D, G A,Am ect basically all the changers where have to take all my fingers off the fret board
If you're talking about the F barre on the 6th string on the first fret, i took about a week, but that was like 6 months into playing guitar. I can play that but I can't play the F 12 frets down without hearing some muting
I started playing the Fmaj7th instead. I STILL can't do the F with the index barring the E and B strings, but I'm doing ok with it on the full barre. Been practicing that for a week or so and nearly there.

I find that it's pretty quick to go from 0% proficiency to 25%. Takes longer to get from 25% to 50%. Then longer still to get from 50% to 75%. Then even longer to get from 75% to 85% etc.

For me, I tried it initially, then figured that I'd come back to it six months down the road when general fret work had increased my finger strength and my understanding of the fret dynamics. Here I am (closer to 8 months in really) it I guess after doing power chords and other chords it's certainly easier than it was. Still requires a good amount of work though.
It took me like 2 weeks to get it and play fluently, practicing an hour per day. I think it was the hardest one, along with the Bb.
It only took me a couple of days to get it. I don't know why but it's always seemed really easy for me. I have way more trouble playing fast leads than I do playing chord progressions.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Big Me by the Foo Fighters and about 5 minutes of trying to self-learn Smoke On The Water via crappy barre chord attempts gave me all the experience I needed.
Quote by Junior#1
It only took me a couple of days to get it. I don't know why but it's always seemed really easy for me. I have way more trouble playing fast leads than I do playing chord progressions.

+1
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Quote by Hullucinate
well i dont want to take the easy way out..i want to be able to play what ever comes up on the sheet music..
and IMO i dont see power chords as real chords...but i know nothing of theory so take with a grain of salt

i respect your opinion and wholeheartedly disagree. there are so many different types of power chords you probably use them without realizing it
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
According to my theory book, a chord is defined as more than one note played at the same time... Most power chords have 2 notes (the root and the fifth) but if you do some of the harder ones (like the one Randy Rhoads does in Mr. Crowley) they have 3 or more notes in them which is the same as all your basic chords.

Though my book says that I have heard people argue that chords have to have 3 different notes... maybe but there is no doubt harmonization between two notes, 3 doesn't seem necessary unless you want a triad.
Last edited by hansome21 at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by GODhimself37
i respect your opinion and wholeheartedly disagree. there are so many different types of power chords you probably use them without realizing it

well they are usfull dont get me wrong sometimes they fit perfectly into w/e but that doesnt make it a real chord..personally i think you have sturm at least 4strings/notes for it be a chord
Quote by Hullucinate
playing the F chord isnt the problem i can do that just fine but its switching from chord wheres theres no anchor..like D, G A,Am ect basically all the changers where have to take all my fingers off the fret board

One tip that helped me with chord changes in general was to practice making the changes exceptionally slowly - no tempo as such, just really slowly.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
I guess it depends playing it, or transitioning to it smoothly with no pause and all strings ringing clear with no buzz or anything?

Those of you who say a month or something, Im shocked if this is the case. I've been playing three years and I still have to pause a little. Also depends what chord I'm coming from
panman36 thread's 8 years old dude.

Closed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.