Page 1 of 2
missed you guys <3

I sold the orange rocker 30, and I also may end up selling my acoustic, so I'm probably going to have around 1700-1900 USD give or take.

For the record, I didn't sell the amp because I didn't like the tone. Trust me, I still love the amp for what it does, but it just didn't suite all of my needs. I jumped on the amp thinking that I would be playing classic rock for the rest of my life. lol, i was wrong. I've expanded my view on music drastically, so now I'm into a whole bunch of stuff.

Now I ask you, UG, to give me suggestions on an amp head + 2x12 cabinet

I need an amp that:

-is, simply put, versatile
-good cleans
-thick and open distortion with a reasonable amount of gain and low end
-has an fx loop
-sounds good at gig + room volumes

I'm probably asking too much, and I probably gave broad descriptions of what i want, but let's just see how this goes.

Ask my any questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

thanks guys
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
what genres do you play?
are you going used?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Orange Thunderverb 50? Built in attentuator but you probably already knew that

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
what genres do you play?
are you going used?

definitely going used, but it's kind of tough getting used gear here in hawaii due to the shipping costs. I guess i'll have to be patient.

I play anything from jazz, fusion, hardrock, metal (80's and modern), blues, and yeah :0

a little bit of everything lol

Quote by Chrisiphone
Orange Thunderverb 50? Built in attentuator but you probably already knew that

i may check it out along with the rockerverb 50, but honestly I'm trying to stay clear away from orange products.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
iv been told that bugera makes really good amps, but i havnt tried one myself yet
-Engl Powerball, incredible versatile but maybe a bit too gainy for you. It's a great amp though. Maybe the Ritchie Blackmore signature is a better choice

-Peavey JSX

-Framus Dragon/Cobra

-Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
pix or it's a bugera

no thanks on the bugera suggestion, but i appreciate your contribution

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by K!nj!
-Engl Powerball, incredible versatile but maybe a bit too gainy for you. It's a great amp though. Maybe the Ritchie Blackmore signature is a better choice

-Peavey JSX

-Framus Dragon/Cobra

-Hughes & Kettner Trilogy

I had my eyes on the ritchie blackmore sig for suuuuuuuuch a long time. seriously, all of the clips sound great. I just need to try it out for myself.

yeah, i don't think the powerball will fit my pallet, but the framus cobra seems pretty cool. I've seen those go used for 1100-1500, so I'll keep my eyes open.

I don't think the jsx has enough gain or versatility for my needs, and I'll check out the trilogy.

thanks man

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Yeah, But you could get something better with that money, Like Marshall JCM800

jcm 800's sound amazing, but I don't think it's what I need.

I've also had my eyes on the splawn nitro for some time as well. How versatile are they? and do they sound good at low volumes?

the sound of a hotrodded marshall gets mah pantz twight :3

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Vetta II + Line 6 Floorboard
Randall RM4 + Decent Poweramp w/ BLackface/ SL+/ Ultra+ modules
Baron MI60
ENGL Savage
Peavey JSX
Titan Custom
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Sep 20, 2009,
Missed you Jin

It's rather ironic, I've sold my Rocker 30 too! Not that far though, to the other guitarist in my band who's been using it for quite some time anyway.

I'm not really certain what would fit to be honest...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
No probs man, but the JSX has a sh*tload of gain actually (not as much as the powerball though). It's used by loads of metalcore bands and stuff.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by Gabel
Missed you Jin

It's rather ironic, I've sold my Rocker 30 too! Not that far though, to the other guitarist in my band who's been using it for quite some time anyway.

I'm not really certain what would fit to be honest...

:]

and really? why'd you sell it?

Quote by K!nj!
No probs man, but the JSX has a sh*tload of gain actually (not as much as the powerball though). It's used by loads of metalcore bands and stuff.

hmm, i guess I'll have to try that out too. I saw one go for 700-800 not too long ago o_O

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
:]

and really? why'd you sell it?

Simple. I got an 18watter. I love it to death, for it's simplicity and being easy to crank. Instead my band's other guitarist tried using my Rocker 30. It sounded great and he was using it when we were playing. Since I was using my 18watter (or now my Blackheart too) I figured I might as well sell it.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Blackstar Series One 100 might be good for you.

Very versatile, good cleans and good drive from what I've heard.
It has an effects loop and MIDI-output and you can turn it down from 100W to 10W for home-use.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Jinskee

I don't think the jsx has enough gain or versatility for my needs, and I'll check out the trilogy.

Hey Jin hows hawaii?

The JSX has sh*tloads of gain and is known for its versatility(alebeit i think there are better amps around same price that might be better). Just try it out to see if you like the channel voicings and an active EQ.

if you werent in hawaii i would have recommended a Mesa MArk IV or Stiellto since imo they would be perfect for those styles. But i have no idea how the market is over there
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Used Line 6 Vetta II head+Avatar Cab
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by mexican_shred
Hey Jin hows hawaii?

The JSX has sh*tloads of gain and is known for its versatility(alebeit i think there are better amps around same price that might be better). Just try it out to see if you like the channel voicings and an active EQ.

if you werent in hawaii i would have recommended a Mesa MArk IV or Stiellto since imo they would be perfect for those styles. But i have no idea how the market is over there

hey man haven't seen you in forever

i'll definitely check it out.

and yeah, i posted the same thread on HCAF and they all suggested to get the mark iv. is it really that versatile?

someone actually posted the stiletto deuce on my craigslist a while back + a 4x12 cabinet for 1750, which seems pretty reasonable. i hear they're pretty underrated.

Quote by CullenT
Used Line 6 Vetta II head+Avatar Cab

why's there so much love for the vetta ii?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
yo jin

how much can you get a s/h bogner ecstacy for in hawaii?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Marshall JCM800
Orange Rockerverb 50
Splawn Nitro
ENGL Blackmore/ powerball / invader
Blackstar series 100

One of those amps should fit the bill
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Randall MTS, Mesa boogie Mark IV, Marshall JVM, Egnater Tourmaster, AxeFX etc.
Last edited by thrasher. at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yo jin

Dave!

i'm not really sure, but the shipping + handling would probably cost around 200 USD D:<

Quote by tr3nt
I have a Mesa Boogie Roadster.. really versatile

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1371004/mycurse.mp3

Theres a raw clip, and I don't play metal so I wasn't giving it any justice.

man that sounds awesome

those go for a lot, don't they?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Well, I got mine for $1800 used around 1 1/2 years ago.

But... They have dropped in price a bit I think =(.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Last edited by tr3nt at Sep 20, 2009,
Yea Jin the markIV is the workhorse in my rig. It covers everything perfectly. Even the rh2 channel which people have some beef with, i can get a nice blusey sound, or with an OD push it to nice 80's metal. The best part about it is mixing and matching tubes. 2 6l6's with combo of any 2 of the following(el34's,6v6,6l6,kt77). personally i love the sound of the kt77's im running in them
Last edited by mexican_shred at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yo jin

Definitely not within his budget. The cheapest I've seen one go for is $2000 and that got snapped up in less than a day. The average I see is $2400-$2600.'

Jin, I'm pretty much in the same boat. Sorry I can't help. I've never played an amp that can do all of those to the level I want it to.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mexican_shred
Yea Jin the markIV is the workhorse in my rig. It covers everything perfectly. Even the rh2 channel which people have some beef with, i can get a nice blusey sound, or with an OD push it to nice 80's metal. The best part about it is mixing and matching tubes. 2 6l6's with combo of any 2 of the following(el34's,6v6,6l6,kt77). personally i love the sound of the kt77's im running in them

i agree with this guy, i use rhy2 the most because it's so versatile just one that one channel. i'm really curious on trying new tubes, but i just haven't the time ha.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by mexican_shred

dang, so wait, what do people not like about channel three? and how many channels are there? 27?

Quote by mmolteratx
Definitely not within his budget. The cheapest I've seen one go for is $2000 and that got snapped up in less than a day. The average I see is $2400-$2600.'

Jin, I'm pretty much in the same boat. Sorry I can't help. I've never played an amp that can do all of those to the level I want it to.

yeah that's what i was thinking. and it's cool man, no worries

Quote by UnsignedRecords
i agree with this guy, i use rhy2 the most because it's so versatile just one that one channel. i'm really curious on trying new tubes, but i just haven't the time ha.

jon : D

I really want to try a mark iv now. how long did it take you guys to dial in your sounds? sounds kind of like a hassle

and I just got an email from this guy that wants to sell a jsx head for 850. I think i might check it out

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Just an idea to put out there...

New Spider Valve on clearance + whatever preamp you like/can find (perhaps a one of the many Mesa preamps, or a POD-XT, or a Sansamp...). If the Spider's tone is good enough you could even hold out a while to find the exact preamp you want.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
its three channels but the ability to use an onboard GEQ, different tubes, different voicing(class A , and AB), tube clipping(Pentode or triode) ,gain type(harmonic or mid gain) and tweed and full power give it so many sonic abilities. It variable between 18-85 watts(i think 18 is the lowest, i may need some correction) with 18 being class a mode,triode, tweed power(Using the on board variac) and 85 being full power, pentode, class AB

Channel 2 is the bugger that gets some bad rap as to not having enough gain to be a true blues crunch or classic rock vibe. But personally i like to treat it as a semi pushed cranked one channel amp. Rolling back on the volume gets me some nice ass clean, or rolling some treble inscreases the gain. Setting the GEQ and my OCD gets me a nice jcm800-ish type sound(when im running el34's and kt77's). Its personally my favorite channel

Channel one is warm lean channel that can hold some fight against some fenders. Some claim its too warm making it sound sterile but personally i like those types of cleans, and some onboard reverb can take away some of that warmth to make it ressonate "colder".

Channel three: its why you buy this amp. A huge dynamic gain range from light crunch to tight aggresive balls to the walls (with GEQ) metal lead. Personally this channel used to be my least favorite(it took me a while to find the right setting for it). But now its my favorite lead channel out of any of my amps i have owned. Its a very mid voiced channel, and with v30's it can get a little honkey and gritty. But with a blackshadow speaker or vader cab you cut some of those mids away and add some tight bass end.

For me to get a sound better than my JSX on 2/3 channels took 5 minutes. To get the other channel up better than anything i've tried with my JSX took a couple of months(but i blame school for this one). Im constantly reqing though since im mixing and matching my tubes, and modes. Honestly re-eqing is half the fun of this amp. i can always get a new sound out of it. I recently just retubbed my dude from stock 8 year old mesa tubes to new jj and it sounds better than the day i got it. its def an amp that a retube will make it sound better than new.
Quote by mexican_shred
its three channels but the ability to use an onboard GEQ, different tubes, different voicing(class A , and AB), tube clipping(Pentode or triode) ,gain type(harmonic or mid gain) and tweed and full power give it so many sonic abilities. It variable between 18-85 watts(i think 18 is the lowest, i may need some correction) with 18 being class a mode,triode, tweed power(Using the on board variac) and 85 being full power, pentode, class AB

Channel 2 is the bugger that gets some bad rap as to not having enough gain to be a true blues crunch or classic rock vibe. But personally i like to treat it as a semi pushed cranked one channel amp. Rolling back on the volume gets me some nice ass clean, or rolling some treble inscreases the gain. Setting the GEQ and my OCD gets me a nice jcm800-ish type sound(when im running el34's and kt77's). Its personally my favorite channel

Channel one is warm lean channel that can hold some fight against some fenders. Some claim its too warm making it sound sterile but personally i like those types of cleans, and some onboard reverb can take away some of that warmth to make it ressonate "colder".

Channel three: its why you buy this amp. A huge dynamic gain range from light crunch to tight aggresive balls to the walls (with GEQ) metal lead. Personally this channel used to be my least favorite(it took me a while to find the right setting for it). But now its my favorite lead channel out of any of my amps i have owned. Its a very mid voiced channel, and with v30's it can get a little honkey and gritty. But with a blackshadow speaker or vader cab you cut some of those mids away and add some tight bass end.

For me to get a sound better than my JSX on 2/3 channels took 5 minutes. To get the other channel up better than anything i've tried with my JSX took a couple of months(but i blame school for this one). Im constantly reqing though since im mixing and matching my tubes, and modes. Honestly re-eqing is half the fun of this amp. i can always get a new sound out of it. I recently just retubbed my dude from stock 8 year old mesa tubes to new jj and it sounds better than the day i got it. its def an amp that a retube will make it sound better than new.

thank you for the review! that was really helpful

how well do they sound at room volumes?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Hmm its hard to say really. personally i think it sounds about the same as my jsx on low volumes. It just gets more thick and full than my JSX ever would when i crank it. The volume knob on this sucker is jumpy as hell. At around 3 the volume jumps to loud football tv game volume. At about 2 its "room" non-bothering volume. Its loud, even in its lowest wattage mode. Running it in low wattage helps thicken up the sound a little earlier. Even at room volumes you'll hear a difference. But there is something i cant put my finger on that keeps me going to full wattage mode for lower "room" volume( i think it has to do with the mid harmonics, and the room which i play it with). Channel one sounds no matter what volume.
Quote by Jinskee
dang, so wait, what do people not like about channel three? and how many channels are there? 27?

yeah that's what i was thinking. and it's cool man, no worries

jon : D

I really want to try a mark iv now. how long did it take you guys to dial in your sounds? sounds kind of like a hassle

and I just got an email from this guy that wants to sell a jsx head for 850. I think i might check it out

hey jin

definitely try it out, but not for 10minutes or anything. i could give you some settings if you need.

to dial in a 'good' sound it didn't take long at all. but after almost 2 years i'm still finding great tones, which is good because i don't get tired/bored of the sound. it's definitely not a hassle.

i should really experiment with lower gain tones on the lead channel like juarez does, but i'm still infatuated with channel 2's range.

and i have a clip on my profile (the speaker test) that i recorded at like 2am, so it was super quiet.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Sep 21, 2009,
Hey, Jin.

You're out of my range of expertise, so I'll leave the suggestions to the pros.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
john pretrucci's site has his mkIV settings if you want a ballpark settings for his kinda groove
Page 1 of 2