i got a band now for like 4 months.and we play very well..already got more then 10 covers..and 2 our own songs...but we still haven't found a singer....we play alternative, hard rock, grunge,... pearl jam, audioslave, velvet revolver.and still haven't found even a guy to try and sing with us (not many around were we live)....shame becouse we play pretty good...and have no chance to show it live

we could already have like 5 female singers....but i don't what one..i just like male vocals alot better...and don't want us to look like any other pop rock band (alot of ****ty pop bands with female vocals around)

i posted alot in forums that we need a frontman..but after like 300views no one send a mail..and i feel that i'm like the only one who's searching....the other guitarist got us a guy..wo sings pretty decent..he said like 3 weeks back that we would sing with us...but he never came to practise.

what shall we do? i have no idea how to sing or write melodies...the other members are ****ing anti-vocal talents..couldn't not even do backvocals.should we get a female singer? (pearl jam's jeremy, song by a girl...god..)
well i'm from slovenia...and guys who are like hour away from our hometown dont even want to come ~_~
Last edited by hitl at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by grimms
an hour is nothing =/
lazy bastards haha

heh, in reality it is, if you factor in travelling to a 3 hour practice, that's 5 hours out of your day and that stacks up when it comes down to evenings.

To the OP: You mentioned the guy who didn't turn up to practice. Give him another call, it may of been because you fell out of touch that he didn't come along, it's worth a go. Also, though your not used to writing melodies, try it terms of singing, practice makes perfect
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
the bad thing is that were in touch.and i feel sick asking him..last time he saw me..he looked like "ooh boy, not again.." he sings well, but plays like with some pretty loosers..and is happy with them.

what do you guys think of the idea to record some songs and show post them on forums..so they could actually hear us....but on he other hand it's hard to make a good one
Visit a proper studio and get a demo recorded and then if possible, get the files so you could quite easily go back and add the vocals once you've found them.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Uh, use craigslist. Seriously. It works. It takes time and effort (i guarantee the first few will be flops,) but there are seriously hidden jems in craigslist. Definitely need to record a demo to show something for your band though, don't expect random dudes to be showing up with no premise to what your band is.
having good recordings goes a long way in getting people's attention. i have ****ty recordings and am having better luck networking and finding other musicians than i was with nothing!
my country is not even on craigslist :/

i will talk with the guys about a demo but i doubt something will happen..the bassist and guitarist are...the silenet-dont say something-looking dumb ones if you tell them something to do what they didn't come up.

hmm guess the best thing to do is to record two our songs and a cover
Do what everybody does when you can`t find a singer.
Autotune and Attack Attack! Covers.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by hitl
well i'm from slovenia...and guys who are like hour away from our hometown dont even want to come ~_~

Maybe you can go to them instead?

Or you could meet halfway.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
suck it up and take one of the female singers. it'll make your band sound a little more diverse if you're not playing generic pop-rock.

or you could just start trying to sing and try writing melodies. it'll be hard at first, and most likely suck (no offense), but if you work at it and find your style of singing it'll pay off in the long run.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Lej, takole ti bom povedal. Najprej, iz kje si, če si kje blizu pridem jazst pet ane. Drugače pa najbolše če kar sam poješ, se boš že navadil, tudi če ti od začetka ne gre.

^please excuse me about that, im actually from the same country he is.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by TasianSensation
suck it up and take one of the female singers. it'll make your band sound a little more diverse if you're not playing generic pop-rock.

or you could just start trying to sing and try writing melodies. it'll be hard at first, and most likely suck (no offense), but if you work at it and find your style of singing it'll pay off in the long run.

this. Don't ignore the potential thats right in front of you. If you get more famous with tehm and you want to switch singers, then you will have more options
Quote by TasianSensation

Excellent point. My last band failed after the singer's ego started pissing everyone off basically, which led to a rivalry between the guitarist and singer, which ultimately produced our demise. So then, i went off and started writing some songs of my own, got some recording equipment, started to put some vocals under them, worked at it, and am now apart of a band thats beginning to look like we could get something going, with me sharing vocal duties with the other guitarist (it works well since i've got a lower to mid voice, and he has a mid to high voice). I'm still a work in progress, but i'd like to think that i'm slightly above the "listenable" status now

So basically, find a range, pursue it, and you might start sounding alright.

If not, have some lessons, they are a great help, and you might find that Axemanchris is a major advocate for them.
Well, good luck man. My band can't find a singer for 2 years now. Either somebody doesn't know how to sing, or he's an arrogant power *****.

I'm thinking about taking up singing myself, because I'm soooo tired of looking for a vox guy.
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
Quote by Worhan
Well, good luck man. My band can't find a singer for 2 years now. Either somebody doesn't know how to sing, or he's an arrogant power *****.

I'm thinking about taking up singing myself, because I'm soooo tired of looking for a vox guy.

Finding any member in a band is .01% dedication to be looking for it, and about 99.99% luck. You can't force the "right" member -- because you won't have to force the REAL right member. If the connection is there, it will show and you will know. I guarantee your "dream singer" is out there, you just have to be on the look for it. Most likely, if it does come, it'll happen by accident or pure luck of stumbling into them, not begging for them to show up and then if they make it, come to your practices every week.

Even ask people who look like they could be frontman if they're a frontman -- you never know, honestly.
Go find someone singing karaoke at a local bar. For the type of music you play, they don't have to be a pure vocal phenom to be successful. Grunge & alt rock is more about grit and attitude when it comes to vocals, so don't look for the next "American Idol" wannabe.

Besides, a "nobody" doing karaoke might be thrilled to be a part of what you have going on without bringing a bunch of baggage and expectations.

I've had the same problem for a long time, which is why I really pushed myself to sing & play guitar so it's easier to put together a band. Seriously... Singing takes a lot less natural talent than most people assume. Hard work and practice can overcome many deficiencies in natural ability.
Get a good singing teacher. Everyone can sing with the right dedication and training, just go for it and give it your best shot. Maybe not get the teacher for yourself but another friend who'd like to be in the band and just doesn't know shit about playing an instrument.
Audition the female singers
Choose the one that fits best/ has the better range
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
maybe one of you should learn to sing. that's how we did it.
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Hehe.... Story of my life from the age of 15 to about 25. Yep. Ten friggin' years of working with singers that I was never really happy with.

My solution, ultimately, was to throw up my hands in despair and say, "Fine! I'll LEARN to do it, dammit!!"

I have ZERO natural singing ability, and with lessons, learned how to sing well enough that I've never had a problem hooking up with musicians. I would not have been able to achieve this without lessons, though. And it took a long time. Five years before I felt I was ready to record a CD of some songs I wrote.

Now, as a singer, here's what I would suggest you do if you actually want to find one of us.

Convince me that your band is the one I want to sing for. Sounds arrogant? Far from it. I have so little inclination towards Lead Singers' Disease that people really like working with me. The reality, though, is that there are fewer singers out there than anything else, so they have the most choice when it comes to bands. For every singer, there are probably three bands. Why should yours be the one I want to play with?

Well.... first things for me are:

1. Do I like what you're doing? (and by extension, can I sing it?) Sure, I love Rage Against the Machine and AC/DC and Iron Maiden, but I could never sing those. Sure, I love some 'off the beaten path' kinds of bands, but I've spent the last five years trying to sell 'off the beaten path' music and playing to mostly small crowds. I want an easy sell right now.

2. Do I like you? (and by extension, your goals and expectations and standards for personal conduct?) Yeah, you can wail like Nuno, but I'll tell ya... if you're going to be one of those manipulative pricks that think they run things in spite of everyone else, I'm not interested. You want to practice five days a week with full band rehearsals? Not interested. You want to tour divey bars across the Arctic Circle in a hard-top camper trailer in the name of touring? Not me. You show up for practice without your homework done? Bye-bye. You want to drag a two hour rehearsal into four hours because you were too stoned to get there until after the first hour, and then kept texting your girlfriend and going out for smoke breaks, and spent those three hours drinking heavily? I ain't your own personal detox coach/relationship counsellor.

3. Is your level of musicianship and musical professionalism up to what I expect? Do you have a demo? If you don't, I have to wonder why not. You don't need to be a virtuoso, unless you want to do a Dream Theatre tribute or something, but you DO need to be competent. How long have you been playing? What have you done?

Now, those three key questions are things any musician would want to know of any musician, and the 'subquestions' therein are variables that you really can't account for. Some of them you can, though.

In short, lay out what you do, who you are, and what you have to offer. If it's good enough and is a good match for the right singer, they will enthusiastically join your band.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.