Is this where this should go?

Anyway I am just curious as to what makes pickups sound different. I mean, dont they all basicially boil down to a magnet wrapped in copper wire?
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
Gauge of the wire (thickness of the wire) used, how many coils of wire used, magnets used, placement of magnets...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I'll assume you aren't simple and skip the single / P90 / Humbucker bit
magnet type, the number of wraps of copper wire, the gauge of the wire, material of the wire, quality of the magnets (maybe), active / passive (active have a very low number of wraps and lower strength magnets)
Magnet shape
Magnet size
Magnet strength
Magnet material
Quality of materials
Type of wire
Size of wire
Winding method
Number of turns
Tightness of windings
Consitency of wind
Polepiece type
Polepiece material
Physical construction of the pickup.
Potted vs unpotted
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Magnet shape
Magnet size
Magnet strength
Magnet material
Quality of materials
Type of wire
Size of wire
Winding method
Number of turns
Tightness of windings
Consitency of wind
Polepiece type
Polepiece material
Potted vs unpotted

/thread.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Apart from the obvious difference between single and twin coil, There's magnet material, size and strength. Then there's type of wire, coatings, number of windings, housing and some quite obscure little items that make quite a difference. A few pups now have blade or bar magnets instead of individual pole pieces. This is supposed to give better sound during bending.
Lastly, there are active pickups which are low powered to cause less magnetic pull and noise but their weak signal is boosted through a pre-amp to give a very high output.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by steven seagull
Magnet shape
Magnet size
Magnet strength
Magnet material
Quality of materials
Type of wire
Size of wire
Winding method
Number of turns
Tightness of windings
Consitency of wind
Polepiece type
Polepiece material
Potted vs unpotted

Oh really? Cool I didnt know that all those small things made a differnce lol thanks I was always curious.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
Yes and no is the short answer. The long answer is found on untold pages online or books dedicated to the topic. It might dissapoint you but pickup design hasn't changed that much. The biggest "revolution" being active pickups like EMG's. You've heard about PAF's, right? Regularly touted as the best humbuckers made with the very best in a period between 1958 - 1961 that came with a "Patend Applied For" sticker on the back, hence the name. That's 50 years ago and PRS have just bought the machine that made the wire for those pickups! Says a lot, don't you think? Fact is when they designed humbuckers and single coils they got the design right from the get-go. Then EMG and the active pickups appeared around 30ish years ago but still the pickup that will cost you the most money is an original PAF or true vintage pickup.

The main reason pickups sound different are, of course, in construction. The number of windings of wire, the type of magnet i.e. which metals went into making it and if it's a single coil/ P-90 or humbucker type are the main reasons for sound differences. There are so many combinations that i would be writing for hours if i was to list them all - and i doubt i do - but to get different pickups manufacturers vary the three points i listed above. Thats pickup making boiled down to bare essentials. If you really want to learn the details then theres plenty online and magazines run stuff from time to time. Hope this was a little helpfull.