This might be better placed in GB&C, but I still have a question.

Is it possible to change a 50 watt Marshall to a 100 watt Marshall by adding 2 more power tubes so you have four of them (like a 100 watt) rather than 2 (like a 50 watt)?
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
i wanna see how this ideas turn out
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
the power of amps is dictated by the power tubes AND the circuit. you have to change both, which would essentially make it a new amp.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I've heard of people doing extra tube mods but I think that might have just been pre-amps.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Dude. why do you wnat 100 watts of tube power anyway. Where are you gonna be able to use it or crank it witrhout blowing the audience's ears off, and you band mates as well? 50 should be enouhg power, if you need more volume mic it up, I would suiggest in fact that if you are having voluime issues with a 50 watt tube then your whole band including drums willne to be miced through the PA.
dudes right.

if you are having volume issues with a 50w valve amp, your band have some serious volume issues. the volume increase between 50 and 100 valve watts is something like =~3dB. You couldnt get 50w up to half volume in a normal band situation anyway. most artists will use like a 30 or 50w combo mic'd up on about 4 or 5 volume.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

you know what?

if you want more power,do this

Head->Hotplate->Power amp->cab->cab (im assuming) you got a full stack
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
No. Just no.

I don't see why you'd want 100watts. The ideal wattage for a tube amp for home practice and even average gigs is just a 15-30watter. A 15watt tube with volume real high PA'd is more then loud enough.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
a hotplate is an attenuator...meaning it decreases your amps power. putting an 50w amp through an attenuator then into say a 20/20 power amp will defeat the point of even using this kind of setup.

Tube Preamp 12AX7 -> Axe FX -> 100/100 EL84 Marshall Power Amp -> Marshall 1960X

good ole' racks.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

^same ideas but different way
Quote by angusfan16
if you want more power TS (forgetting the fact that NO ONE NEEDs more than 50w in any situation) sell the bluesbreaker and get a DSL/TSL 100.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

not a big fan of the dsl. some people like it but its not for me.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by Silver-spear94
if you want more power TS (forgetting the fact that NO ONE NEEDs more than 50w in any situation) sell the bluesbreaker and get a DSL/TSL 100.

...and bang your head against the wall later.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by V.U.K
No. Just no.

I don't see why you'd want 100watts. The ideal wattage for a tube amp for home practice and even average gigs is just a 15-30watter. A 15watt tube with volume real high PA'd is more then loud enough.

True. Only reason you might go a 30-40 instead of 15 at gigs is due to the increased bottome end in the 30-40 watters, in thecase of the Fender models anyway.
Its not gonna be a simple thing like just adding 2 tubes. There drilling holes for the sockets, if it has room for them. The added wiring to incorporate them. Then most likely the power trans wont be able to handle the power requirements, a PT isnt a cheap thing to buy. Then you would need a new output trans to handle the extra wattage, another pricey chunk of equipment. To give you an idea I built a 10w power amp the PT and OT were 90$ alone. If you need a bigger amp economically its way better of to trade up to a larger amp. Or if you like the preamp slave it to a larger power amp.
Let me clear up some confusions in this thread that I clearly did not address.

1. I'm not modding my Bluesbreaker
2. I know that there is not much volume difference between 50 watts and 100 watts. It's not twice the volume, not even close.
3. I need more headroom.
4. The reason I need more headroom/wattage is none of your business.

Quote by Tackleberry
Its not gonna be a simple thing like just adding 2 tubes. There drilling holes for the sockets, if it has room for them. The added wiring to incorporate them. Then most likely the power trans wont be able to handle the power requirements, a PT isnt a cheap thing to buy. Then you would need a new output trans to handle the extra wattage, another pricey chunk of equipment. To give you an idea I built a 10w power amp the PT and OT were 90$ alone. If you need a bigger amp economically its way better of to trade up to a larger amp. Or if you like the preamp slave it to a larger power amp.

Most helpful post. This is the kind of answer that I was looking for. I was planning on having some Mesa Boogie Heads slaved into Marshalls JCM800's. Good idea, bad idea?

I was also planning on trading up for a larger amp. Probably a Marshall SLP, JMP or JCM800 or a Mesa Dual Rectifier. I've tried both and loved both. I'm going to get whichever comes up first.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Silver-spear94

Some people would like the extra clean headroom.

On another note, 100w and 50w have a negligible volume difference. Ts the misconception that 100w is 2x as loud as 50w is mind boggling.

And then you have some 100w amps that aren't that loud (comparatively speaking) and some 50w amps that can kill a grown man... in other words, every amp is different.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Some people would like the extra clean headroom.

On another note, 100w and 50w have a negligible volume difference. Ts the misconception that 100w is 2x as loud as 50w is mind boggling.

And then you have some 100w amps that aren't that loud (comparatively speaking) and some 50w amps that can kill a grown man... in other words, every amp is different.

This guy also knows what's up as well.

And I already know the common misconception that 100w is 2x as loud as 50w. My friend had a Line 6 Spider 3 30 watt and was trying to get a Line 6 Spider 3 120 watt claiming that (it's 4 times the wattage and 4 times the volume). I almost killed him for using a Spider 3 and for the misconception. I advised him to get a Peavey Vypyr 30. He bought it and he can't believe he ever liked the Line 6.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
I am at a real loss to see how you need more headroom than a 50 watter gives you, byt the time you get to natural overdirve on the clean you must be just abouit blowing th windows out, in whihc case you are gonna be way to loud for most venues.