and by that i mean my guitar tone, nothing else!

I'm using a laney LC30 with a modded westfield guitar, and the low end of the distortion channel is very loose, flappy, muddy, whatever you like to call it. I currently have the stock speaker cone and all JJ valves, apart from two Ruby Tube preamps. Anything i can do to the amp to tighten its tone? =]

TM
Thicker Guage Strings, better low response.
Change the speaker too, try for something with a bit more bass end.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
heavier string gauge (if you detune... in other words, take up the slack), speakers with better low end freq response (look into Emanence), and EQ (on your front panel, graphic EQ in your loop if you have to) will all go a long ways towards making your bass frequencies stand out... and they CAN add somewhat to tightening your response (the string idea is the best outcome vs. cost option), but this is one of those cases where it's the characteristic of the amp to be loose.

what amp are you using?

without your answer to the last question, I say this hesitantly: throw a sonic maximizer in your loop. test drive one at a local music store with YOUR amp and YOUR guitar. get someone who has used one before to dial it in based on what you want, in this case, better low-end.

EDIT: **** me! you said plain as day what amp you were using!

Do them in this order until your sound is achieved:
1. heavier strings... don't have to go nuts like Zakk or SRV gauges, but beef it up a little.
2. Graphic EQ in the loop
3. Sonic Maximizer behind the graphic EQ, again in the loop
4. new speakers.

and if all that doesn't work... idk, re-re-re-re-re-record in the mariana trench?
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy

Do them in this order until your sound is achieved:
1. heavier strings... don't have to go nuts like Zakk or SRV gauges, but beef it up a little.
2. Graphic EQ in the loop
3. Sonic Maximizer behind the graphic EQ, again in the loop

4. new speakers.

The single biggest change you'll have is to swap out the cheapo stock speaker.

If you're playing rock/blues etc, try a Celestion G12H30. For harder rock maybe an Eminence Red Coat or Celestion V30.
Quote by kyle62
The single biggest change you'll have is to swap out the cheapo stock speaker.

If you're playing rock/blues etc, try a Celestion G12H30. For harder rock maybe an Eminence Red Coat or Celestion V30.

Seconded. V30s are great.
agreed, the speakers play a huge role in the overall tone, but TS didn't ask for a better tone, he asked for tighter low end.

speakers, in this situation, present an expensive option with unreliable results at best.
Put an EQ with a frowny face curve in front of your amp and then slightly scoop the mids on your amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Put an EQ with a frowny face curve in front of your amp and then slightly scoop the mids on your amp.

i like this. infact, i really like this. EQ can tighten things up very well, but many people make the mistake of boosting too many freqs when they should be cutting them. This accounts for that nicely... allows you to still sit in the mix.