hey fellas,

I'm looking to get a new mp3 player, and the Ipod touch seems to have really nice features. However, the sound quality (IMO the most important aspect of a mp3 player) isn't mentioned in any review.
Do any of you guys have any experiences with the sound quality of an Ipod Touch ?

thanks
it is of Mp3 quality.

clue's in the name.

The question you should be asking is not about the sound quality of your ipod. But the quality of the headphones/earphones you use.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Well, it's standard mp3 files, and that's it... The standars apple headphones are very bad though, so you need to invest in some better.
Gear:
Buffet E13 Clarinet in Bb.
Canon 40D, Sigma 35 mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 L IS USM macro, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 50 mm 1.8.
Flickr
Quote by osXtiger
it is of Mp3 quality.

clue's in the name.

The question you should be asking is not about the sound quality of your ipod. But the quality of the headphones/earphones you use.

i'm planning on putting on WAV files on it instead of mp3's, so that's not what i mean.

I mean, how does the actual player sound (with good headphones, etc) ?
Quote by osXtiger
it is of Mp3 quality.

clue's in the name.

Ipod doesn't use MP3.

The sound quality will be adequate, but if good audio is really important to you, buy an earlier ipod from ebay and install some good quality opensource firmware such as Rockbox .

Archos are also worth investigating.

Or do what I did and by a Cowon.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Ipod doesn't use MP3.

The sound quality will be adequate, but if good audio is really important to you, buy an earlier ipod from ebay and install some good quality opensource firmware such as Rockbox .

Archos are also worth investigating.

Or do what I did and by a Cowon.

It doesn't?

How odd.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by osXtiger
It doesn't?

How odd.

I'm pretty sure that Itunes rips everything in .m4a format.

Haven't used it in a few years though, so I guess I could be wrong
Don't be silly when it comes to overpriced Mp3 players sound dosen't count . Oh You!
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by J-Master
i'm planning on putting on WAV files on it instead of mp3's, so that's not what i mean.

Why would you put WAVs on a pmp?

You won't be able to fit much music on there.
Quote by J-Master

I'm pretty sure iPod doesn't play WAV's.

Ipods are just fine. But the standard earphones break too fast, like in 2 weeks.
Quote by sbinlb
try the zune hd if your looking for sound quality. the earphones sound great.

No they dont
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Quote by Pooinsky
I'm pretty sure iPod doesn't play WAV's.

yes it does.

The reason for using wav is obviously the sound quality...
Quote by J-Master
yes it does.

The reason for using wav is obviously the sound quality...

It's completey pointless with something as small as an Ipod. Using any kind of uncompressed or lossless formatting on one is a total waste of space because you won't be able to appreciate the difference. Earphones aren't good enough, Ipod firmware isn't good enough, and chances are you'll be listening in a noisey environment. What you're suggesting is pretty ridiculous. To use a guitar analogy, it's kinda like buying a huge awesome Marshall tube head, and using a radio as a speaker.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
It's completey pointless with something as small as an Ipod. Using any kind of uncompressed or lossless formatting on one is a total waste of space because you won't be able to appreciate the difference. Earphones aren't good enough, Ipod firmware isn't good enough, and chances are you'll be listening in a noisey environment. What you're suggesting is pretty ridiculous. To use a guitar analogy, it's kinda like buying a huge awesome Marshall tube head, and using a radio as a speaker.

thank you for the second helpful reply.

However, i don't agree with what you are saying.

With 32 or 64gb of space, there's a large amount of wav's that it can hold. More than enough to hold what i want anyway,
I will buy a pair of good Sony noise-cancelling earphones,
I could install Rockbox,
The noise would be cancelled out for the most part by the earphones.
Quote by J-Master
thank you for the second helpful reply.

However, i don't agree with what you are saying.

With 32 or 64gb of space, there's a large amount of wav's that it can hold. More than enough to hold what i want anyway,
I will buy a pair of good Sony noise-cancelling earphones,
I could install Rockbox,
The noise would be cancelled out for the most part by the earphones.

Do whatever you like, but it's still pretty futile.

At least use something like flac, which uses some compression, or even a VBRMP3 of a high bit-rate like 320 kbps. Furthermore, ensure that you rip the music properly, using decent software, otherwise what you're doing is even more pointless.

Do use rockbox, it's much nicer to use at any rate and the quality will be improved.

Also, you could do better than Sony headphones. Look at Sennheiser or Denon; or if you're rich then investigate Shure or Bose etc etc. In the end it's you money and down to personal taste.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Do whatever you like, but it's still pretty futile.

At least use something like flac, which uses some compression, or even a VBRMP3 of a high bit-rate like 320 kbps. Furthermore, ensure that you rip the music properly, using decent software, otherwise what you're doing is even more pointless.

Do use rockbox, it's much nicer to use at any rate and the quality will be improved.

Also, you could do better than Sony headphones. Look at Sennheiser or Denon; or if you're rich then investigate Shure or Bose etc etc. In the end it's you money and down to personal taste.

I'm looking into denon atm, do you know any other good noise-cancelling earbuds ? that's what draw me to Sony.
Quote by J-Master
I'm looking into denon atm, do you know any other good noise-cancelling earbuds ? that's what draw me to Sony.

They're all over the place at the moment; namely Sennheiser CX3002 earbuds, which are reasonably priced, noise cancelling, and have a lot of bass which is a turn-off for me but a lot of people like it.

Just look on audiophile forums on the internet or go into a proper audio shop and ask for advice.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
They're all over the place at the moment; namely Sennheiser CX3002 earbuds, which are reasonably priced, noise cancelling, and have a lot of bass which is a turn-off for me but a lot of people like it.

Just look on audiophile forums on the internet or go into a proper audio shop and ask for advice.

alright, thanks mate !