sup? so i was trying to do a recording with my band yesterday, and for some reason, i couldnt get my growls to sound good on the mic (people constantly say im a good growler, but it sounds so hollow on the mic) is it cause the mic at high volume picks up on inconsistensies in my voice? or just because i hadnt drank anything for 5 straight hours? or maybe its just the mic i used? any advice here?
(btw my tone is like a cross between travis ryan and whoever growls for born of osiris)
Quote by random-emo-kill
people constantly say im a good growler

Are these people professionals/Other people who ''growl''? Or are they just family or friends?

I'm not saying that you aren't good, I haven't heard you. But it might be worth bearing in mind that family and friends are more likely to say that you're good to try and encourage you. Just look at programs like X Factor and American Idol, for example. Where people go on saying that they're mates have said they're awesome, but then they open thier mouths and totally suck.

Try drinking more I suppose. 5 hours without drinking is bad, let alone doing vocal work (singing, screaming, or whatever) without it.

Do they sound hollow in a mix aswell? Or just on thier own? Sometimes stuff can sound horrid on it's own, but sound awesome in a mix.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by random-emo-kill
sup? so i was trying to do a recording with my band yesterday, and for some reason, i couldnt get my growls to sound good on the mic (people constantly say im a good growler, but it sounds so hollow on the mic) is it cause the mic at high volume picks up on inconsistensies in my voice? or just because i hadnt drank anything for 5 straight hours? or maybe its just the mic i used? any advice here?
(btw my tone is like a cross between travis ryan and whoever growls for born of osiris)

yea drink some luke warm water before doing vocal work. also i guess it depends on the mic, but even the cheapest mic should give like a good representation of whats going on, though it might jsut be a piece of garbage.
hes a good growler . im his friend but in not tring to build his confidence he is a good growler
lol growling.

Though in all seriousness, changing up the EQ for the vocals should solve the issue, try out different settings and see what's causing the hollowness, raising upper mids should help.