So, I've sort of been looking into 8 & 12 string basses (only in a similar way to how I look into fretless bass, the "oh, that could be very interesting, but could I use the tone THAT much?" sort of way. Basically, has anyone had any experiance with them? With them being very "odd" instruments, they're not easy to come across. Would anyone be able to give me a brief runthrough of what to expect from an 8/12 string? In terms on neck size, general build & sound quality, for the sort of mid-range instruments.
Listen to "Jeremy", on the "Ten" album by Pearl Jam.

You've got some 8 stringers by Dean, ESP and others... all of them sound quite good. Just a matter of taste

These are quite nicely built and have EMGs

These are also quite nicely built but have esp pickups

Schecters are very good for the money and also have EMGs

Hope this helps....
Neck size isn't much of an issue- yes, it'll be wider, but 8 strings not so much, and 12 strings only really a fraction over that.

However, be prepared to change your fretting technique for 12 strings- 8 strings you can get away with minimal technique change, but 12 string is the biggy. Easy to switch though. A few years back when I picked up a 12 string, it was the proverbial duck to water situation.

And yes, you may not use it all the time, but if you use it well and in the right place, it'll sound fantastic, and really add to the right song.

Plus, you can mess around with different tunings across each course- so tuning root-5th-root for example.
^ God I so want an Edge Hammer 10 string. There are just way to many things I want right now...
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
ok go to waterstoneguitars.com

These guys do 12 strings. They actually send there basses to my Unlce to get them varified and there paying him to do it. he has 3 videos of him giving a demo of 3 different typs of 12 string waterstones, its on the website.
i have played the, it a league of its own, to put it bluntly you have to throw your fingures at the bass and hope for the best.hahah, um best way to play it use a pick, mid gauge and attack with a down stroke not and down and up.

he has also had another 12 string, i cant remember the brand, but it looked evil.

hope this is good for you
All of them are a tom peterson special, with minor differences.

go to the vid link, and watch my uncles demos.......he can play them too
Don't Conklin and Galveston make basses with 8-12 uncoursed strings?
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by cal1
Don't Conklin and Galveston make basses with 8-12 uncoursed strings?
Both companies make 8 uncoursed, yes, but I'm pretty sure that is the absolute limit, unless you want a higher string past the high F. Any string lower than an F# would be probably be inaudible, as its vibration is 23-ish Hz whereas the limit of human hearing is 18... so yeah...
Quote by Steve08
Both companies make 8 uncoursed, yes, but I'm pretty sure that is the absolute limit, unless you want a higher string past the high F. Any string lower than an F# would be probably be inaudible, as its vibration is 23-ish Hz whereas the limit of human hearing is 18... so yeah...

Actually I think Warr makes those, except its more like a Chapman Stick than a bass or guitar.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by Steve08

Conklin make 9 strings, and at least two companies will make a 12 string uncoursed, and a number of luthiers too. Like this:

An Extended Range Bass, a Chapman stick and a Warr Guitar are three rather different things.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Conklin make 9 strings, and at least two companies will make a 12 string uncoursed, and a number of luthiers too. Like this:

An Extended Range Bass, a Chapman stick and a Warr Guitar are three rather different things.

Jesus ****ing christ

Hold on, what would be the tuning of that lowest string?
It's a 41 position fretboard tuned from B0 to Gb, tuned in 4ths.

And that's B below the low B on a normal 5 string.

EDIT: Wait, I posted the Legend X. Yves Carbonne plays the 12 string version of that also, with the tuning I have mentioned.

From low to high:

B
E
A
D
G
C
F
A#
D#
G#
C#