I'm buying a head and a cab (Half stack) I'm looking for one that will last me a good while, if not set me for life, and it has to sound good enough/be loud enough to play in the school hall at my school.

Is this any good? If it is, what cab should I get to go with it? I might bid in on it if you lot can tell me whether it's any good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-100-Watt-Lead-Bass-Amp-Head_W0QQitemZ110434636914QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item19b66ad472&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If this isn't a good choice, can you give me some ideas for good affordable head and cab that will last me a long time. Thanks,
Quote by Eurozeppelin
I'm buying a head and a cab (Half stack) I'm looking for one that will last me a good while, if not set me for life, and it has to sound good enough/be loud enough to play in the school hall at my school.

Is this any good? If it is, what cab should I get to go with it? I might bid in on it if you lot can tell me whether it's any good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-100-Watt-Lead-Bass-Amp-Head_W0QQitemZ110434636914QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item19b66ad472&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If this isn't a good choice, can you give me some ideas for good affordable head and cab that will last me a long time. Thanks,

it really depends on what sort of music you will be playing and how much ur willing to spend it will help with suggestions lol
Sorry about that! I'm playing classic rock, covering mainly Led Zeppelin songs, so Led Zeppelin tone is vital. Also playing: Deep Purple, Cream, The Rolling Stones, Queen, The Beatles...I will probably get onto playing AC DC, Guns N Roses, and Pink Floyd.

Right now, I'm stuck with a Yamaha Pacifica (has a humbucker) until I can get my paws on a Mexican Fender Fat strat. I could bid for that head, if you reckon it's a good idea, but I think any pricier than that and I'll have to wait for my birthday, or Christmas, and then I'll assume I could ask for maybe a £400 gift from my parents, so call £400 my budget. Thanks,
ok man ur gonna be failry limited on your budget but if u strech the budget u could get an orange tiny terror head with a 2x12 cab which would be pretty loud and the single channel is great plus u could use an overdrive pedal to get alot more gain for solos n tht ac/dc stuff

alternativly i would save your money and get a valve combo or something they will be plenty loud enough something like a fender combo or like a vox combo thats how ur gonna get some valve stuff.

but if u want bang for your buck look into the 2x12 line 6 combos spiders or valves there not to bad and im pretty sure they have some preset from all the stuff ur talking about so i would just be a case of storeing them in the channel banks they sound pretty good valve ones are alot better tho so yea just a couple of suggestions for you
Maybe a Bugera 333/6260 combo at christmas? The lead channel is probably total overkill for the stuff you play but the crunch should do, and the're 120 watts, so they will probably blow the roof off.....should be within your budget. Cant think of anything else more suited for you music. The Randall G3 is good, but probably too metal oriented.....
A used Fender/low gain Marshall amp maybe?

EDIT:
Quote by SWBS_DJ_GUITAR
ok man ur gonna be failry limited on your budget but if u strech the budget u could get an orange tiny terror head with a 2x12 cab which would be pretty loud and the single channel is great plus u could use an overdrive pedal to get alot more gain for solos n tht ac/dc stuff

alternativly i would save your money and get a valve combo or something they will be plenty loud enough something like a fender combo or like a vox combo thats how ur gonna get some valve stuff.

but if u want bang for your buck look into the 2x12 line 6 combos spiders or valves there not to bad and im pretty sure they have some preset from all the stuff ur talking about so i would just be a case of storeing them in the channel banks they sound pretty good valve ones are alot better tho so yea just a couple of suggestions for you

A 5 watt head for a school hall?
Epic fail.
Just to be heard over the drummer in a small room he will probably have to max out the volume. In a school hall?
He wont have any clean worth talking about.
Though he will get a nice tone.....
EDIT 2: If you go for a Bugera, keep the warranty. The're not exactly contenders for the world' s most reliable amp award.
EDIT 3: The amp you gave a lnk to has no gain knob. So no OD minus a pedal. Unless you want to crank the volume. And a hundred watt head will give you major ear ache.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 20, 2009,
Right, Ok

I've been thinking maybe a Peavey Windsor head (100 watt I believe) with a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab, both second hand. It might be possible to keep that within £400...

The other thing I want to know is, where in the UK can you get a Fender MIM fat strat? I can't find them anywhere! Ebay has a couple of American ones, but I can't see them being sold in shops new or anything, anyone know where I might find them?

The other amp I'm considering is the Marshall Haze 15 watt stack, is it loud enough? Also, on the Spider 3 Range, I heard they were really bad? It might have been bad info, but just saying, thanks.

Just looked a couple of Spider 3's, they're are a few Line 6 Spider 3 Half stacks going for £300 - worth buying?
Last edited by Eurozeppelin at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Maybe a Bugera 333/6260 combo at christmas? The lead channel is probably total overkill for the stuff you play but the crunch should do, and the're 120 watts, so they will probably blow the roof off.....should be within your budget. Cant think of anything else more suited for you music. The Randall G3 is good, but probably too metal oriented.....
A used Fender/low gain Marshall amp maybe?

EDIT:

Epic fail.
Just to be heard over the drummer in a small room he will probably have to max out the volume. In a school hall?
EDIT 2: If you go for a Bugera, keep the warranty. The're not exactly contenders for the world' s most reliable amp award.
EDIT 3: The amp you gave a lnk to has no gain knob. So no OD minus a pedal. Unless you want to crank the volume. And a hundred watt head will give you major ear ache.

u should really read how powerful the tiny terror is its 15watts of tube power not 5 and its 15 switchable to 7 learn ur stuff before u start trying to talk the big time as for the bugera stuff i dont think u can switch between the clean and crunch with a footswitch so would be useless and i dont really rate bugera that highly i was looking into decent stuff for this guy that was suited to his playing style NOT METAL
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Right, Ok

I've been thinking maybe a Peavey Windsor head (100 watt I believe) with a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab, both second hand. It might be possible to keep that within £400...

The other thing I want to know is, where in the UK can you get a Fender MIM fat strat? I can't find them anywhere! Ebay has a couple of American ones, but I can't see them being sold in shops new or anything, anyone know where I might find them?

The other amp I'm considering is the Marshall Haze 15 watt stack, is it loud enough? Also, on the Spider 3 Range, I heard they were really bad? It might have been bad info, but just saying, thanks.

Just looked a couple of Spider 3's, they're are a few Line 6 Spider 3 Half stacks going for £300 - worth buying?

look into the line 6 valve 2x12 it come in just over £400 brand new and i think £459 if im right and its 40watt of tube power and trust me that will get u heard iv used a 30watt orange head and blown away a jsx which is 120watt wattage dosnt make a massive diffrence to ur volume ignore the guy who was saying bugera stuff its totaly a metal amp n there nasty lol plus he is a dick n dosnt know what he is talking about lol and then tried to insult me
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Right, Ok

wow im just full of posts in this one lol peavey windsor is a great head for the money and will do what u need tbh coz u dont need massive amounts of gain for the style that u play and its 120watt which will be more than enough id say if u could get one of thos and a cab for less than £400 id go for it. BUT the windsor is a single channel with a gain boost so if u ever did need more gain u might need to turn up the pre amp volume justr get a bit more gain for the boost and this will turn ur clean to a slight overdrive if u turn it up to much but other than that a good head for what u need
ValvePower Cage 18w (Marshall 1974 Clone), Gabel did a vid on it.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Yeah, I looked at that. Custom - made, £300 isn't it? So, that would leave me about £100, maybe get a second hand 1960A Marshall 4x12 cab at that price? This is a good plan, and will it be loud enough, and good for Zeppelin tone?

PS Where can I watch Gabel's video?
Last edited by Eurozeppelin at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Yeah, I looked at that. Custom - made, £300 isn't it? So, that would leave me about £100, maybe get a second hand 1960A Marshall 4x12 cab at that price? This is a good plan, and will it be loud enough, and good for Zeppelin tone?

PS Where can I watch Gabel's video?
Well Gabe actually has the more expensive, Brown Note one. You won't get a 1960A for £100 but why do you need it? Get a cheaper 212.
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Well Gabe actually has the more expensive, Brown Note one. You won't get a 1960A for £100 but why do you need it? Get a cheaper 212.

True, but the amps aer close to identcial. Check it out, the vid is in my sig!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Right, Ok

Have a look at GAK for the MIM fat strat, I think there were some on there last time I checked. Just google GAK if you don't know what it is
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by GS LEAD 5

EDIT:

Epic fail.

IDIOT - Tiny Terror's are grade A, rather than A/B, so the 7W setting on them will blow the ass off anything upto about 70W easily. The 7W setting id there for recording, because at 15W it is too loud to get some gain out of it without breaking up.