Im just about to start a music production course at my local college, how are you finding logic, is it easy to use? I only ask because the main DAW we use is logic, also will it run smoothly on my macbook pro? Sorry to add my question to your thread but I don't really know anyone I can ask?!
Hello
I use Logic Pro and am going to school for recording so I can answer a fair number of questions about it. It is fairly easy to use and is designed to run on Mac so it will run very smoothly on a MBP (that is what I run mine on)

As far as the keyboard goes it is a matter of preference and price and what you need on it (drum pads, modulation, etc.)
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Sweet, cheers NnjRik! Good luck Lee, lucky man getting logic as a present!
Hello
I'm running Logic Studio 9 and am lovin' this baby! The Guitar Amp Designer and Pedalboards are amazing - no need anymore for Guitar Rig, Amplitube, etc IMO as the new amps are just FANTASTIC and the pedals are the best I've ever seen or heard in any computer sim - actually I want them pedals!!!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
i've got Logic Pro 8. it's wonderful. very easy to use. can do anything you can think of really.

i must say though, i'm more of a Protools fan. at least as far as audio goes. anything midi, i go with Logic.
Quote by strangedogs
I'm running Logic Studio 9 and am lovin' this baby! The Guitar Amp Designer and Pedalboards are amazing - no need anymore for Guitar Rig, Amplitube, etc IMO as the new amps are just FANTASTIC and the pedals are the best I've ever seen or heard in any computer sim - actually I want them pedals!!!

Its really that good??? hmmm I've been looking for a new DAW cause garageband is really limited and was really thinking of getting logic 9, do you have any mp3s of the pedalboard, I'd love to hear it
been running Logic for the past year. Got Logic 9 a few days after it was released and haven't had many issues with it. Im mixing with it every day and its stable.

I'd recommend the M-Audio Keyrig49 if you can get it.

Its cheap and cheerful, with a nice key action. i've found some of the other M-Audio keyboards to be un-pleasantly stiff.
drawnacrol - will try to sit down and maybe do some demo's of the pedals - there's a whole bunch of just AMAZING SOUNDING (and amazing looking too) pedals that sound fantastic. The new amps in Logic 9 have made Guitar Rig 3, Amplitube (I have all the amplitubes), TH1, etc., OBSOLETE. Beautiful sounding amps and a whole lot of em too. The Vintage Marshall (Plexi) and the Fenders (silverface, blackface, etc) all sound like real amps. I own 6 real amps including 3 tube amps and I hardly turn em on anymore. I have probably every amp sim known except AxeFX and Revalver MKIII (although I do have the demo of it) and I can honestly say the new Logic amps and pedals BLOW EM AWAY... I spent thousands in sims and plug-ins and Logic Studio 9 is all I use now. They look amazing, they sound amazing and you can configure cabs, mic placement, etc too. I was using Impulse Responses a lot with Logic 8 but these new amps in 9 even sound great without loading impulses! They're reason enough to buy a friggin' Mac - THEY'RE THAT GOOD! I'm having a ball with this sh%t.

And KB wise - I bought an older used Yamaha PSR-270 and a Yamaha UX-16 USB/Midi interface off ebay for under a $100 total. It's a larger 66-key keyboard and it works flawlessly - I looked at the little M-Audio ones but wanted a bigger one and the Yamaha sounded beautiful. Heck the 100's of built-in sounds are nice too.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Sep 20, 2009,
nice work Lee... I'm in love with Studio 9 (also a present from my wife). New update is out for Logic and Mainstage - software update is downloading them now on my Mac as I type this on my Win 7 laptop!
logic studio 9 is pretty good, though still has a fair number of bugs (which hopefully will be worked out soon). most notable and annoying for me has been that, when composing in MIDI or recording, all of the regions of the track that i'm using will mute -- but you won't see that it's muted until you reopen the session.

it's great overall, though. i do probably 80+% of my composing in Logic -- still prefer pro tools for mixing and recording, etc.
Quote by climhazzard
though still has a fair number of bugs (which hopefully will be worked out soon)..

The 9.0.1 update is out now.
look great. That SPIN BOX pedal is my favorite so far... I want the REAL PEDAL! I usually use my Boss GS-10 for my Amps and am using Logic's Pedalboard more and more although I love the amps too.
I've been playing around with Logic since version 7 and I love it. It does a great job for me recording and programming midi tracks.

Logic 9's Amp Designer and Pedalboard is just flat out awesome. I actually want to get Amplitube loaded into Logic 9 so I can use some of the pedals from Logic in with it as I'm sure I can get some interesting tones with some of those combinations.
Quote by TheDriller
The 9.0.1 update is out now.

yeah i know. we actually got it a bit early. thankfully they fixed the issues with punching in so you don't have to use some stupid little workarounds, but the muting is still a bit of a problem. there's also an issue with edit-undo tracks being invisible but still existing in the workspace. it'll take them a bit to sort everything out, but i still love it.
Quote by climhazzard
yeah i know. we actually got it a bit early. thankfully they fixed the issues with punching in so you don't have to use some stupid little workarounds, but the muting is still a bit of a problem. there's also an issue with edit-undo tracks being invisible but still existing in the workspace. it'll take them a bit to sort everything out, but i still love it.

What problems have you had with muting? i've never had an issue with that.
when composing in MIDI or recording, occasionally all of regions in the track will mute -- but you won't see that it's muted until you reopen the session. it's been an issue for many of the engineers i know.
Quote by climhazzard
when composing in MIDI or recording, occasionally all of regions in the track will mute -- but you won't see that it's muted until you reopen the session. it's been an issue for many of the engineers i know.

hmm, weird. i've never seen that happen.