I decided to replace the fretboard on one of my guitars, since it looks like crap, feel like crap, and i dont like it
Now, could you people link me some good websites where fretboards are sold? thanks
Removing a fretboard is hard to do. Plus you can't find fretboards on the internet that already have frets on them. Fretting is a hard job too.
What's the issue with your fretboard anyways? If it's rosewood you could dye it black so it looks like ebony, re-level/smooth the frets, and then put some lemon oil on it, and it would look better and feel better too. Actually what guitar do you have? It might be the guitar, not the fretboard.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by deftonesordie
the fretboard? or the neck?

The fretboard....

Quote by salsawords
Removing a fretboard is hard to do. Plus you can't find fretboards on the internet that already have frets on them. Fretting is a hard job too.
What's the issue with your fretboard anyways? If it's rosewood you could dye it black so it looks like ebony, re-level/smooth the frets, and then put some lemon oil on it, and it would look better and feel better too. Actually what guitar do you have? It might be the guitar, not the fretboard.

Its a Cort VX-2V... the fretboard is made of rosewood, and its a very dark rosewood, you can check the pics on my profile
The fretboard doesnt feel smooth, and get all dirty pretty easly (i only oil it when im restringing)
Last edited by Baraga at Sep 20, 2009,
if its rosewood, maybe get some steel wool and some lemon oil?

it used to feel like ****, now its great.
good luck. you'll be steaming off the old one, possibly ruining the neck entirely.

then you'll need to refret, which has numerous other opportunities to ruin the guitar. All in all I'd suggest a new neck.

but that's just me.
------

Shwiggity.
Try cleaning it with lemon oil, depending on your wood.
Could fix a couple of things.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by deftonesordie
good luck. you'll be steaming off the old one, possibly ruining the neck entirely.

then you'll need to refret, which has numerous other opportunities to ruin the guitar. All in all I'd suggest a new neck.

but that's just me.

I already thought of that, since my locking nut makes this annoying crack sound whenever i dive bomb, or pull my whammy bar... Tightening and/or loosening the screws didnt work out
Its not an easy thing to steam a fretboard off but not destructive like some seem to think. Just takes patience took me about an hour to get one off. Never harmed the neck. Most blank fretboards like ones sold at stewmac are just planks with the fret slots cut, they need to be shaped have no inlays or frets. Not hard to glue one on but you are gonna need some tools to put side dots in and dots/inlay on the front. And of course the tools to install and level the frets. If you have all the tools then its not an expensive project, rosewood fretboard in 25.5 scale was less than 20$ and 20$ in fret wire, materials to put em in. If you dont have the tools and materials then its gonna be difficult to do and expensive to go buy the stuff you need.
I would try getting after the fretboard with the 0000 steel wool and lemon oil first and see if that fixes it. if not then it would be way easier to either do a light scallop or just buy a new neck.