I've never built a guitar before.

I've decided I might give it a try, my dad says he can help me, and he's an engineer, so I suppose he might know something. Anyway, I'm thinking about buying this building pack. I wonder if anyone can tell me what other components do I need to go with it?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/store/images/stratkitfullcb.jpg&imgrefurl=http://dragonfireguitars.com/store/&usg=__E9mdPJvk7JfOnsUeg8u3Gvr6PTs=&h=347&w=500&sz=124&hl=en&start=2&sig2=s-uIhhi2jrK4JOf5LUCKuQ&um=1&tbnid=KMZorV08orK-5M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcherry%2Bburst%2Bstrat%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1&ei=EHW2SsX8Fs374AaQuPl8

Thanks,

Ps Just in case it influences something or another, I think I'm gonna get the HSS pickup set for it, and I play classic rock, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Queen through to AC DC and Guns N Roses, so on...
Last edited by Eurozeppelin at Sep 20, 2009,
Don't buy it from America to start with.

Look for a Saga kit. There is a kit build thread here somewhere, I will find it in a mo.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
good looking kit actually, but dont import. the customs are f***ing deadly...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Ok, I'd just like to say thanks for looking for me, and also, I am trying to get a cherryburst body like that one, strat body that is, thanks
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Ok, I'd just like to say thanks for looking for me, and also, I am trying to get a cherryburst body like that one, strat body that is, thanks

What sort of budget do you have?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
DIY Guitar Shop do far better kits and a huge range of upgrade components to tailor the kit to what you want rather than what's in the box from China.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Budget - will have £300 in a while, (That's when I plan to buy everything) but right now I have £75 - is there anything I can do with that?
I recently brought a Saga kit, the PRS style one, I'll upload my build when I have time.

It worked out really well, only problems i have is that the body came with a few dings in it, the tuners aren't the best and the frets buzz a little on the E and A strings, but that can all be sorted with some time and attention.

The whole kit cost me about £130 to get delivered. The money to quality ratio is great imo
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Budget - will have £300 in a while, (That's when I plan to buy everything) but right now I have £75 - is there anything I can do with that?

So do you want a £160 kit, or a £300 self built "PartsCaster".

Meaning, do you want to spend £160 on a kit, or do you want to buy a body, neck and the hardware etc, probably better quality, for your £300 budget, as and when you have the cash?

If it is the first, follow the guys advice with the link above.
If it's the second, I can get you 20% off the parts YOU CHOOSE. See my sig.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
So you sell parts? I don't know. I suppose if I bought the parts as I went along, I could get the best I could out of this project, and also have a lot of time to spend on building it to a good standard. That seems like the best idea to me, so there's that or buying a build - a - guitar pack. The end result would be better if I built it out of quality parts, but would take longer...I'm new to this, could you tell me what you think would be the best plan?

Anyway, I am trying for this project to make either a Cherryburst Fat Strat or a replica of Jimmy Page's Dragon Telecaster (Natural ash with dragon painted on) Where do you think I could get the pieces for either of these guitars. Also, would I be able to build the guitar so that it is of the same quality as a Mexican or American Fender Strat?

Thanks.
Quote by Eurozeppelin
So you sell parts? I don't know. I suppose if I bought the parts as I went along, I could get the best I could out of this project, and also have a lot of time to spend on building it to a good standard. That seems like the best idea to me, so there's that or buying a build - a - guitar pack. The end result would be better if I built it out of quality parts, but would take longer...I'm new to this, could you tell me what you think would be the best plan?

Anyway, I am trying for this project to make either a Cherryburst Fat Strat or a replica of Jimmy Page's Dragon Telecaster (Natural ash with dragon painted on) Where do you think I could get the pieces for either of these guitars. Also, would I be able to build the guitar so that it is of the same quality as a Mexican or American Fender Strat?

Thanks.

Errr...well not so much "I sell Parts", I'm not a shop, but I have arrangements with the companies in my sig (WDMusic.co.uk is probably best for you), so I can get the stuff for you at 20-25% off.

They sell bodies (finished or unfinished) and necks, and all the parts you would want. They do cheaper parts as well as stuff from Gotoh, Grover, Tonepros etc.

Irongear make brilliant pickups for very reasonable money. I don't have an arrangement with them as yet.

As for building something as good as any Fender, this is highly plausible, because Fender guitars are all PartsCasters and aren't really that great...neither are Gibsons.

All of the decent builders on here, Metalhead, JSCustoms and of course Perry Ormsby, make guitars that would put most Fender or Gibson offerings to shame.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani