Vox V100
5 9%
VOX AD100VT/XL
5 9%
Peavey valve king 212
15 28%
Kustom quad 100 DFX
1 2%
Other please sate which one (under 350 pounds)
6 11%
Voters: 53.
Page 1 of 2
ok basicaly i have narrowed it down to the amps i can afford which are pretty decent.

firstly is the: line 6 spider VALVE 112

second is the: vox vt100

3rd is the: vox ad100vt or XL

4th is the: peavey valve king

5th Kustom quad 100dfx

or just simply other and name them, my budget is 350 pounds NO MORE THAN THAT

i play a lot of rock and metal and guns and roses, im in a band so summer of 69, sweet home alabama etc.

thanks

EDIT: sorry i mean VT100 not V100
Last edited by TheShizzNizz at Sep 20, 2009,
Recently, few have had a bad word to say about the SV112, mainly for its versatility. The Vox VT100 would be a better choice over the old model (AD100VT) as it has more models and effects, seeming obviously the better deal. The Valveking is OK after you swap out the speaker in it. Then after that, possibly the tubes too. So on a budget of £350 i wouldn't recommend the VK, but if you have more to spend then i definately would. And finally, i don't know anything about the Kustom Quad.

Go play some of your choices if possible. It should help you to decide. If you are only using the amp for bedrrom practice, perhaps look into a Blackstar HT-5 maybe with a boost, if you feel it needs it.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Quote by TheShizzNizz
yeah the marshall dos look pretty expensive, arnt the vox amps tube amps??

thanks

they are hybrids they are mostly solid state amps but have a pre amp valve that acts as a pre amp and a power amp valve
They're hybrid amps. The have a tube in the preamp.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Quote by TheShizzNizz
even the v100 is a hybrid? and they have a tube in the preamp, ok that cant be too bad?

hybrids are pretty loud as the valve also acts as a power tube
The AD100VT and XL have been discontinued some time ago. The new model is the VT100, which I highly recommend. Contrary to the smaller Valvetronix models they're capable of doing metal well, the 2x12" configuration really makes a difference.

Consider a Line6 Flextone III as well, should be around 350 quid.

If used combos are an option for you, a Marshall DSL401, Laney LC30 or Laney LC50 are worth a look.

Oh, and because I like being a smartass: The Valvetronix amps don't have a tube in the preamp, but behind it in the signal chain in a circuit that is supposed to simulate the characteristics of a valve power amp, while the actual power amp is solid state.

Quote by britishsligean
hybrids are pretty loud as the valve also acts as a power tube

Nope, at least not in this amp.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by TheShizzNizz
even the v100 is a hybrid? and they have a tube in the preamp, ok that cant be too bad?

Yeh it is. My friend has the old VT (ad30vt) and it sounds much better than many of its rivals in a similar price range, but it struggles to do high gain metal. Maybe the new VT does this better, idon't know. Most people though, including me, would say that a hybrid amp is a marketing scheme. All Tubes ftw.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
well that has made my day narrowing it down to the vox v100 and the spider valve as they are the only ones out of them which are in my local shops

which would you say is better for rock/ metal.

also the spider do you reacon 40 watts is good enough to gig with?

thanks
have you not considered an old gibson amp ? small and powerful, I've never owned or played through one but i hear they are rocking amps. Hopefully someone on here will know more.
ok please could u cast ur votes between the vt100 and the line 6 VALVE as there the ones in my local shop and bound to get so yeah thanks
ok then looks like no one has any love for the vt100, is there any marshall tube amps in my budget that are decent enough to gig with?

cheers
The DSL401 I mentioned earlier can be found used in the UK between 300 and 350 quid usually. It's a 1x12" combo with 40 watts of power, enough for most gigs.
yeah thats the same with the spider, thats only 40 watts. i would prefer it though if i could buy it brand new for obvious purposes and the spider is in a sale with 180 quid off! so yeah thanks anyway
I wouldn't get the Spider.
Probably VK is your best choice.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Wattage isn't your problem. In most band situations I found myself in, 15 watts of tube or 30 watts of solid state were more than enough - usually, valve amps are a lot louder than solid state amps with the same wattage. A 40w tube amps like the Spider Valve or the DSL401 will be very very loud.
firstly is the: line 6 spider VALVE 112

second is the: vox vt100

3rd is the: vox ad100vt or XL

4th is the: peavey valve king

5th Kustom quad 100dfx

I'm going to do my best to attempt to point you in the right direction.

Kustom Quad 100dfx - Not really sure what Kustom was attempting to do with this amp. It doesn't sound bad or anything, but there are much better choices in it's price range. This isn't a bad amp but definitely seems like "the oddball" of the options you've listed.

Peavey Valve King - Many guitarists start with this as their first all tube amp. These definitely can get a decent tone and they have a good reliability record. However, you may want to get a few pedals as they aren't very dynamic and you may be stuck in just a few tones that you can get from this amp. Still, a great amp for the money.

Line 6 Spider Valve - Depending on who you speak with, you'll hear an entire host of reviews regarding this amp. It's definitely a good amp to get multiple tones out of. However, it's using OLD Pod 2.0 technology. I used to own one and thought my Pod X3 Live sound WAY better then it. Additionally they are clearing this model out to come out with a NEW spider valve amp. If you have your heart set on the spider valve, I would definitely wait until the newer ones come out ,(although they will cost more).

Vox AD100VT or XL - Both of these are almost identical however the "XL" series has a few more high gain amp models. I own both an X3 Live and a Vox AD100VTH (not a combo - I own the head version) and I will tell you that the Vox sounds so much warmer and more natural then any of the Line 6 products I have owned. It may be tempting with the extra high gain amp models but the XL series didn't sound as good as the original ADxxxVT series.

Vox VT100 - This is where Vox sort of had a "Do Over" for their XL series. Basically they redid the XL models so that they actually sounded good. Plus they added some additional features and effects. This sounds fantastic and is one of the best amps I've played!

I own a TON of gear. So much so that I cannot list even half of it in my signature. In my opinion I would go with the VT100. However, if you're not as much of a metal player then definitely go with the older adxxxvt series. The older ones had a much warmer tone and YES you CAN play metal with it. You just won't have as many models to choose from. But it still have Mesa Boogies, Marshalls and Soldano amp models......so it's DEFINITELY not lacking.

Additionally, if you're looking for an amp head instead of a combo amp. You can pickup a head like mine on ebay now for a ridiculously low price. I see them going in the $200 range. I highly recommend them. However, I will not upgrade to the new Vox VT series until they have a head version because I personally don't like combo amps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Sep 21, 2009,
There seems to be some confusion over the Vox "Hybrid" amps. (are they a true tube?).

The Vox amps employ a 12AX7 tube. However it does it completely different then any other hybrid amp. It splits the tube in half and employs half of it in the preamp and half of it in the power amp. That way you get the feel and compression characteristics of a real tube.

I'll tell you right now that if you're looking for a tube amp, the Vox series has the Spider Valve beat hands down. The Spider Valve doesn't respond as dynamically like a tube amp should whereas the Vox does.

That isn't to say that the Spider Valve sounds bad.....but there is a difference between listening to an amp and playing an amp. The Vox has the FEEL of a tube amp and responds PERFECTLY to your picking attack.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
cheers guys this might be a dum question but you know the amp heads, and they say there 100watts that doesnt mean on there own does it? they need the cab? or am i wrong--yes i know a VERY noobish question :P
Yes, you need a cab if you buy an amp head. Don't ever run a valve amp without a speaker attached, it can severly damage the amp.
Yes, a head is just an amp with no speakers. You would still need to buy a cabinet.

It's more of an investment however, it also also allows you to fine tune your tone. If you start thinking of long term goals, an amp and a cabinet is the way to go. Even if it's just a 2x12 instead of a full 4x12 cabinet. This will allow you to mix and match speakers. Plus if you see another amp that you want, you won't have to pay all that money for another combo amp as heads are much cheaper.

If you're looking for a good 4x12 cabinet look at the Bugera line. I've played many cheap cabinets and thought that they all sacrificed some good quality tone........except for that bugera cab. I don't know how they did it but that cabinet sounds great no matter what amp you plug into it.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
ahh its a shame to see that marshall go away from me :/ i dont have my mums permission to buy it as she is at work , lame i know. im 14.

i been thinking about getting a head. marshall seem to do quite a few know of any good models??

thanks
Marshalls are definitely great amps. However be forewarned that the only way to get that "great Marshall tone" out of it is to crank the amp volume to near max. Part of the problem with this is that Marshall amps are some of the loudest amps on the market.

Most of us aren't able to play that loud! Seriously, you have no idea just how damn loud these amps are until you hear one cranked.

The option you then have is to buy a GOOD power attenuator. (A cheap one will destroy your tone). A power attenuator will allow you to crank the amp to get that good tone, but will keep your overall volume fairly low. However, be prepared to spend close to $300 on a good attenuator. (The Vox amps have this feature built in!)

Marshall amps are definitely great amps but they are WAY to large of an investment for beginning guitarists.

Not only that, but after all that money you spend, you'll still only have one tone. I cannot say anything bad about a marshall amp, but I wouldn't recommend one for you.

Also, both the Spider Valve and the Vox amps have more then one amp model built in and they sound great.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
^I have to disagree here. That certainly is the case with the amps they made up to the JCM800, but anything tube they released after that sounds good to me even at lower volumes. If I bought a JCM900 or 2000, an attenuator would be the last thing I'd think about.

TS: Sadly, none which are within your price range, sorry. The only Marshall heads you can afford are the MG series or used AVT ones, but the former is crap, the latter is a bit better, but way overpriced (and still not all that great).

If you want a Marshall, you want a tube one and they start at around 700 quid new.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 21, 2009,
ah thats a shame :/ oh well doubt theres anywhere to put it in my house lol.
and yeah the mg series are crap not going in that direction again.

so the vox vt100 looks pretty damn sweet with a range and tones etc. so i might go and try that out
Quote by TheShizzNizz
ahh its a shame to see that marshall go away from me :/ i dont have my mums permission to buy it as she is at work , lame i know. im 14.

i been thinking about getting a head. marshall seem to do quite a few know of any good models??

thanks

Have a look for the JCM900. They're a lot less popular than the '800, which means they go for lower prices (even though they're still decent amps). You should be able to find one for around £350

Do not buy a Marshall 'MG' or 'AVT'.
No matter what their PR department might want you to think, these aren't real 'Marshalls' and will not sound anything like the amps Slash etc use.

I'd go for a JCM900 and a 2x12 cab, or a combo if you can find another like that one on ebay.
Don't get caught up in the 'halfstack' thing; they're a pain to get around unless your band has a van, and if you're 14 I'd honestly be surprised if you could lift a 4x12 without help!

That Orange I posted is excellent, with a suitable overdrive metal it'll do hard rock nicely.

Anyway, here's a JCM900 for £350:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-JCM900-Head_W0QQitemZ320426470308QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item4a9ae7eba4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thoguh don't forget you won't able to use it until you've got the money for a cab, which will cost an absolute minimum of £100. If money's an issue go for the combo, as they're less desirable = cheaper. That one you just saw for £350, did anyone buy it not? If not, expect it to be relisted at a lower starting price soon.
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 21, 2009,
yeah thanks i mean i dont have the money now if i do not like the amp i buy after a while i can easily always sell it, i will not have to stay with it forever, i will have another look at the orange amp, do you reacon its suitable for gigging?
cheers
On a sidenote, I always thought the JCM900 was a better sounding amp then the JCM800.

Then again, the JCM800 didn't really have that much gain. Most of them were modified to have more crunch (good luck finding an original unmodified JCM800).

I believe that the JCM900 was Marshall's answer to all the modifications being done on the JCM800s.

I also thought the JCM2000 sound eerily similar to the JCM900.

I'm off-topic........But wanted to commend your recommendation. JCM900s sound incredible. I gigged with one during 2002-2003 and I was happy with it.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by TheShizzNizz
yeah thanks i mean i dont have the money now if i do not like the amp i buy after a while i can easily always sell it, i will not have to stay with it forever, i will have another look at the orange amp, do you reacon its suitable for gigging?
cheers

Orange amps are alot louder then you would think.

Could you gig with it? That would greatly depend on the other band members. If you have a very loud drummer then it may not be loud enough.

It's too difficult to say unfortunately.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by TheShizzNizz
cheers

Sensible attitude - I've never lost money on an amp, and my last three amps have all been trades/part exchanges. I'm really happy with the amp I have now, although I'm still GASing for a Silver Jubilee!

Oh, and yes, you should have no problem gigging with that 15W Orange.
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 21, 2009,
but then the vt100 is in my price range to which would be more than enough to gig with for pretty much the same amount
Quote by TheShizzNizz
but then the vt100 is in my price range to which would be more than enough to gig with for pretty much the same amount

Yes, but the Orange is an all-tube, British-built, professional quality amp while the VT100 is a digital modeller, made in China, with a solid-state power amp.

I'll bet the 15W Orange is as loud as the VT100 through the same cab...
Like I said, I feel that the VT100 is the best option for you.

Not only that but you can get multiple tones out of the amp. This is important for beginning guitarists as you'll be surprised at how often your interests change in the next few years.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by kyle62
Yes, but the Orange is an all-tube, British-built, professional quality amp while the VT100 is a digital modeller, made in China, with a solid-state power amp.

I'll bet the 15W Orange is as loud as the VT100 through the same cab...

The Tiny Terror is built in the far east. Not like it means much though.

What does mean much is that it's incapable to produce actual cleans at band volumes and sounds sub par above a certain gain/volume level.

Does it have good crunch? Yes, definitely. But sadly, that's about it. I'd take a good modeller over a mediocre tube amp any day. And the Tiny Terror is exactly that, mediocre because it's range of usable tones is very small.

At least that's how I see it. As always, try before buying, see for yourself, etc.

EDIT: And I'd have to disagree when you call the TT professional. That might be my personal opinion, but imo it's not on par with other Orange amps, not by a long shot.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 21, 2009,
Page 1 of 2