Everytime I play it sounds really dull to me. What are possible reason and corrections for this. Ways to add some "flavor" and soul.
Change strings to a brighter model/brand. Replace the saddle to something like bone or high quality like that. Possibly change the pick size and model, maybe even where you pick.
If all that fails, get a new guitar.
When was the last time you changed your strings (or, how old are your strings?)? New strings can "freshen" up your tone, and in many cases, it influences people to start playing some more. That'd be my first guess.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Strings are about 3-4 months old. I try to take care of my strings to have them last as long as possible which maybe a little excessive. I play with my nail which has caused some problems but nothing practice wont fix. Classical guitar btw

EDIT- I spend ALOT of time playing. 4-6 hrs daily about.
Last edited by Thepredster at Sep 20, 2009,
different strings could help, and also changing them much more frequently. i switched to different strings and was surprised by the improvement in tone. nails sound brighter than fingertips if you know how to play.
Definately change strings then. It'll help tremendously.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
If you're spending that much time a day playing, then yes, after 3-4 months of playing 4-6 hours a day, you're gonna need new strings.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

Definitely sounds like you need some new strings. I don't practice as much as you and I still change strings more regular, even with Fast Fret. I practice about 2-3 hours an I find I need a string change every month. Hurts the bank balance a little when you've four guitars though lol
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
heh Thats why Im dont change my classical to often. Music is an expensive hobby

EDIT- How long does it take for strings to settle and do they settlefaster if your playing them constantly? If your changing them constantly every money and it takes 2 weeks to settle or sound good wouldn't you only be paying for only 3wks worth? Last but not least if I leave new strings strung, will they wear out?
Last edited by Thepredster at Sep 20, 2009,
I don't know much about nylon strings at all. I only have electrics and a steel string acoustic and I find on both new strings lose their new feel and start to settle in after a couple of days. Acoustic steel strings last longer though; maybe 6 weeks, or if I'm lucky two months. That might give you an idea, but like I said I've no experience with nylons.

You mean will they wear even if you're not playing? It depends. If you have your guitar out in the open (like on a stand or a wall hanger or something) then yes as the material will react to the air around it and gather dust/grime, etc. If you're leaving it in a case but not playing it they should last a lot longer.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Change the strings at least once a month. Put on phosphor bronze strings and change the saddle and bridge pins to bone. You can get bridge pins on e-bay for about 10.00. A guitar tech can change the saddle to bone for not a lot of money or if your handy do it yourself you can get bone bridge blanks on e-bay for about 2.00 each. Get several since it's your first time and use a belt or orbital sander to shape it to the same shape as the old one.
Quote by Guitar Hack
Change the strings at least once a month. Put on phosphor bronze strings and change the saddle and bridge pins to bone. You can get bridge pins on e-bay for about 10.00. A guitar tech can change the saddle to bone for not a lot of money or if your handy do it yourself you can get bone bridge blanks on e-bay for about 2.00 each. Get several since it's your first time and use a belt or orbital sander to shape it to the same shape as the old one.

Bronze string= ...¿?
Bridge Pin= dude... its a classical
Saddle to bone= Anyone else recommend this?
Changing the saddle to a higher quality, often bone, will definitely make a difference if your current one is made of plastic. It will help the strings vibrate more, giving your longer sustain and a more natural sound, perhaps brighter.
There really isn't anything more to changing saddles then just switching them out eh?
Quote by Thepredster
There really isn't anything more to changing saddles then just switching them out eh?

I'm no expert on nylon string guitars, but I do know on steel strings they have to be shaped a certain way so that your intonation and whatnot is right. Not sure if it's the same for nylon string guitars.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

I too found my sound dull/muted and didn't care for it. I went to a store with a wide variety of acoustics and found the sound in the most unlikely of acoustic guitars: Dean. Granted if my price range was a bit heigher I would have found it in a Taylor, but for $300 I got an excellent sounding guitar. The reason I say the most unlikely of guitars is when I think of Dean I think of heavy metal, but this acoustic has a GREAT sound to it. Go figure!