http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/neckJointSustain.htm

It actually kind of makes sense, although it'd but much easier to lose a lot of sustain with a bolt on if it wasn't properly tightened and set properly, which is something you don't worry about with neck thru.

If the bolt on is tightened correctly, it allows for maximum transfer of vibration, so the bolts and the fact the it isn't one single piece really has no effect on sustain whatsoever.
Think of it this way: the neck thru is basically one piece of wood. The shape of a guitar is very off balance, one long neck to a large base. The neckthru wouldn't be able to hold certain frequencies required to produce "wiked susta1n" due to this, same as bolt ons.

In short, stop acting like an elitist ****** just because you paid 1k$ more just to have a neck thru that changes virtually nothing.

The only thing neck thrus are truly greater at is the access to upper frets.
Baxter, you know I don't speak spanish.
Yes but you actually can't hear it so PLEASE PEOPLE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY AND SACRED do not make a huge debate over this.
They're also tonally different too. I think that's a huge factor in neck construction that's often overlooked.
Honestly, I like neck thrus better: they look better, feel better and allow for great access to all the frets, yet i'm sick of people talking about how their notes last for 2 months because they have a neck thru. The only real research done so far shows that bolt ons have greater sustain. Even then, I'm sure it's nothing the human ear could really hear, especially since pickups pick up very very little of the vibration from wood, they get it almost all from the strings. That's something 99% of guitarists don't understand.
Quote by Deezy
The only thing neck thrus are truly greater at is the access to upper frets.

Why do you think most of us prefer them?

I certainly didn't choose a set-through because I thought I could hold my note a few seconds longer
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
In the end, I think it just needs to be agreed that there is a difference, and that the difference depends on many factors (Like TS said) and that in the end there are many other things that affect the tone and sustain more than how the neck is bolted on. The problem is that it is fairly hard to get two guitars that are identical except for the way the neck is attached to be able to realistically compare the two.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by pigeonmafia
Why do you think most of us prefer them?

I certainly didn't choose a set-through because I thought I could hold my note a few seconds longer

which is a great reason to choose them. thats why i mentioned that.
the main point of this is to stop idiots from bragging about how they THINK they have so much greater sustain.
I think the reason people think that bolt ons have less sustain is because they hear them with Strats and Teles which have single coils. And the single coils are the thing that causes less sustain.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
there has been THOUSANDS (and im not even exagerating) of threads on this topic, search for them... and the conclusion from each and every one is that sustain is the same on any type of neck joint... there was even a scientific study... if i find it ill post it here

/thread (first time i ever use this)
Quote by ibanezgod1973
not this nonsense again

no u.
Alright, I've *reported* this thread because we've had it a million times, and we already know bolt ons are better, and all we'll do in this is dick fight eachother.

In other words, useless thread is useless.
i personally would prefer a bolt on with good high fret access any day. because if ur neck snaps. ur not bollucksed. the sustain issue it NOTHING. a: its not noticeable to the human ear that extra millisecond of sustain. b: the pickups effect sustain more anyway, high output pickups can pickup the vibrations of the strings, when they look perfectly still, and that difference. IS noticeable.
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Quote by Baby Joel
Alright, I've *reported* this thread because we've had it a million times, and we already know bolt ons are better, and all we'll do in this is dick fight eachother.

In other words, useless thread is useless.

bawwww
who the **** gives a **** about Sustain when shredding.

Set-Necks=better fret access=WIN
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by ibanezgod1973
should of used the searchbar `cos that`s what it`s designed for.

no u.
I believe pups and trem affect sustain more than construction. All I know is my Carvin neck-thru has better fret access than any bolt-on I've played and that is what I care about. No heel = smooth playing all around.
1. Yes.
2. As Baby Joel said, too minute to give a damn over, just get what you find comfiest. I like bolt-ons, not only does it make me less worried about the guitar getting hurt, but I also like having to grab onto up there. Some people like the wide, open space and easy access of a neck-thru. Just try both and pick.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0