Hey, so as the title says, I've been feeling limited in the amount of songs I can try to learn by ear because of alternate tunings. I play in E standard/Drop D, so it's irritating to try to cover, say, an Iced Earth song since they play in Eb standard. I'm just not a big fan of tuning every string down half a step for a few songs. Should I bite the bullet and detune every string, or should I try to compensate for open string notes by playing them an ocatve up or some other approach?
I actually prefer playing in Eb to standard makes everything sound a bit heavier but not to the point of **** sound.
Bugger. Well, thanks for the advice, guys. I'm just going to have to get used to tuning a lot, then. Or buy a whammy pedal .
Just play it in standard tuning if you're practicing it. You only really need to detune if you're going to record a cover.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Froboarder
Just play it in standard tuning if you're practicing it. You only really need to detune if you're going to record a cover.

you don't even have to do that really, a half step drop isn't noticeable at all unless you're playing along with the song or you have perfect pitch. it'll still sound the same because the intervals will be the same and it'll be pretty close. whenever my band covers Alice In Chains we just play it in standard or drop D (depending on the song of course)
If you want to play along with the music, but don't want to retune to Eb, I think there is software that will change the pitch without changing the tempo. I think Audacity may do it.
Quote by dimarzio77
Just get another guitar that you keep in Eb tuning. Simple!!!!

my thoughts exactly
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
What if they don't have 2 guitars? "Buy another guitar and keep it in Eb" isn't so simple.

There isn't much you can do about alternate tunings, but take a look into some bands that you know always play in standard tuning or drop D, I'd say probably the majority of bands do. If you're only learning by ear to improve your ear, then this shouldn't be much of a problem. If you want to play along with the songs in different tunings, you'd either have to tune down or get the Guitar Pro where you can change the tuning to E standard and play along.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by jsepguitar
If you want to play along with the music, but don't want to retune to Eb, I think there is software that will change the pitch without changing the tempo. I think Audacity may do it.
This. I'm sure audacity does it.
Well I guess you have to do it. No other choice. Besides you'll learn something different. I was tabbing out Opeth's Reverie/Harlequin Forest and really struggled with the open Dm tuning (DADFAE, I think it is open Dm tuning) but learnt some very useful things in the process. Don't be afraid to detune.
What i do which is not correct but its a good way to learn the fretboard is playing the same notes in a different string.For example if in drop b is 8-0-0-0-7-0-0-0-5-0-0-0-3-0-2-0-3-0(machine head now i lay the down) in the 6th string you can play it
D 5-------4------2-----------------------
A -2-2-2--2-2-2--2-2-2-5-2-4-2-5-2
in regular tuning.sorry cant tab very well..
Droped is difficult beacuse they usually do power chords hiting blank the 3 lower chords and is difficult to do it with regular.Another way is playing it as if you had the right tuning(doesnt sound very well though)so if you ever have a guitar with the right tuning you won;t have to change anything in the way you play it.
Last edited by OutOfDaBox at Sep 21, 2009,
If it's not in a drop/open tuning and just something like Eb standard or D standard, you can use a capo on the first, second, or whichever fret when you want to play in standard. This does mean you can't play notes on the highest frets when you play something in standard though.
Quote by dimarzio77
Just get another guitar that you keep in Eb tuning. Simple!!!!

That's what I do.....One guitar is std E, another Eb, then one for std D, and open G. etc...
Quote by GuerillaGorilla
Hey, so as the title says, I've been feeling limited in the amount of songs I can try to learn by ear because of alternate tunings. I play in E standard/Drop D, so it's irritating to try to cover, say, an Iced Earth song since they play in Eb standard. I'm just not a big fan of tuning every string down half a step for a few songs. Should I bite the bullet and detune every string, or should I try to compensate for open string notes by playing them an ocatve up or some other approach?

Simple answer..... retune your guitar to the song your playing/learning.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by almostdvs222
surprised nobody has said this...buy a seven string

That would make playing an Eb song way more difficult (generally). You'd have to completely screw with the fingerings and jumps on the fretboard.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
just move it up a semitone - if you're not playing with the original you'll barely notice the difference. When my ex-band covered sweet child we just did it in E standard, no-one ever noticed really.