So I recently got a used EHX Double Muff off a friend for $20. It sounds much grainier than any clips I've heard of them though, while I intend to compare it to a store model to be sure, is there any way to check if he modded anything to cause this loss of smoothness?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Sounds pretty weird.

My Muff is SILKY SMOOTH, except when my amp's treble is really high.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Sounds pretty weird.

My Muff is SILKY SMOOTH, except when my amp's treble is really high.

I know, after my experiences with my Russian Big Muff I was expecitng something much smoother...I can record a clip if that'd help now that my mic doesn't screw up the sound like my old one used to if that'd help.

Also, on that note about the treble control on my amp, it's on 9 out of 12, I probably should lower it since my main guitar until I get some clearer pickups for my strat is a telecaster, but it's not maxed so I figure it wouldn't have that bad an effect. Would you say that's it?

Quote by necrosis1193
I know, after my experiences with my Russian Big Muff I was expecitng something much smoother...I can record a clip if that'd help now that my mic doesn't screw up the sound like my old one used to if that'd help.

Also, on that note about the treble control on my amp, it's on 9 out of 12, I probably should lower it since my main guitar until I get some clearer pickups for my strat is a telecaster, but it's not maxed so I figure it wouldn't have that bad an effect. Would you say that's it?

Depends on the amp. My Mesa was really touchy with the EQ, but my Orange doesn't change a ton unless the knob is really low or really high.

I'm guessing the insides of the Muff are dirty, or have some connection issues. Could be the design of the DM too ... if it's designed to be more 'gainy', it's not that weird for it to be more 'grainy' too.
Quote by jean_genie
Depends on the amp. My Mesa was really touchy with the EQ, but my Orange doesn't change a ton unless the knob is really low or really high.

I'm guessing the insides of the Muff are dirty, or have some connection issues. Could be the design of the DM too ... if it's designed to be more 'gainy', it's not that weird for it to be more 'grainy' too.

Fender tweed-voiced tube amp?

Hmm...is there anything I can do to fix it without altering wires and circuitry? Because when I mess with that kind of stuff or solder, the thing I work on tends to die.

A Double Muff and a Big Muff are nothing alike. The Double Muff is pretty bright and you might say a bit grainy.
Quote by fly135
A Double Muff and a Big Muff are nothing alike. The Double Muff is pretty bright and you might say a bit grainy.

This. The Double Muff circuit is totally different and it is more of an overdrive.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.