Hi, my name is Jason!

I've been a long time fan of progressive music (well, by long time, maybe 9 years...I'm currently 18).

short story short, I love ambience and heavy guitars. Yes, both, put together. Complicated.

I need a guitar (I don't care if I have to mod it and change the pickups, nor the price...well....under $2500) that will allow me to go from bass filled, wall shaking distortion like System of a Down to ambient cleans like Pink Floyd.

Any ideas?

Major influential guitarists/tones: David Gilmour, Steve Wilson, Daron Malakian, Teppei (from Thrice, I forget his last name), etc.
If you could get your hands on one, I'd go for an Edwards E-CY-165CTM.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

high end ibanez or prs, really any high end guitar will do it, you really need to worry more about what amp you are using, those guys have alot of money in gear
Quote by bendystraw
Fifty bucks says you're fat.
something with humbuckers and a coil splitter. a good vibrato would be ncie as well. I'd get something like a PRS, either the 513, Swamp ash special, the Mcarty II (no trem though) or a Custom 22/24.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Schecter guitars
mine can do anything almost
solo 6 Hellraiser with 81tw neck 89 bridge.. both are humbuckers with coil splitting soundds amazing and can get a deep tone but can get good cleans too
best of all there like $749.99 retail way under ur budget but it doesn't slack
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
Last edited by seaweed2626 at Sep 20, 2009,
Alright, so we've ruled Fender and such out of the equation, right?

I was thinking, maybe a guitar with a humbucking bridge and P90s... I don't know?

Also, what are the over all thoughts on EMGs?

I use a Peavey Valveking 100 and an Avatar 4x12 I wanted better but budget was low at the time. I am replacing the stock tubes on the Valveking. Gah.
Gah! David Gilmour and Teppei both use Strats, while Steve Wilson uses PRS Customs and Daron uses... Gibson SGs? lol
Go for the PRS
Squier VM Jazzmaster
Superfuzz/ RAT/ OCD /DE7/ Spring Chicken/ DL-4
Vox AC15C1/ Ampeg Jet 12T/ Guitar Rig
Line 6 Variax
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Jason_Clement
Alright, so we've ruled Fender and such out of the equation, right?

I was thinking, maybe a guitar with a humbucking bridge and P90s... I don't know?

Also, what are the over all thoughts on EMGs?

I use a Peavey Valveking 100 and an Avatar 4x12 I wanted better but budget was low at the time. I am replacing the stock tubes on the Valveking. Gah.

if you want as many tones as possible, check out the Seymour Duncal P-Rails pickup. it can get Humbucker, P90 and single coil tones.

ESP/LTD makes a guitar that comes stock with P-rails
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Interesting.

I am leaning towards the Paul Reed Smiths, listening to some Porcupine Tree. Steve Wilson really gets a boat load of tones out of them!

But, of course, I'll try them all first. Thanks for some of the opinions!

If anyone else has a guitar they think I should try, please post.
Custom has a flames maple top, the standard has a mahogany top.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I see! what would you recommend? I found a PRS Standard 22 in town with a case for $2100! it seems this is quite a steal...is it worth it?

I'm in Canada
Well, between a standard and a custom there isn't much of a difference. Customs look flashier and have a crisper sound. Standards are a bit more raw. $2100 Canadian is an ok deal, ask if you can go try it out.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Oh yeah, it's a music store in town. they carry a bunch of them. apparently the standard 24s are like $100 more but, whatever. xD

I'm gunna go check them out soon...wish me luck. :P
Used PRS guitars go on eBay for $1200 USD. If you don't mind used this could be a good option. Shipping to Canada usually isn't over $100.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
I would look at a higher-end Ibanez personally, something with humbuckers.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster

go used and grab a Music Man Petrucci signature with the Piezo pickups in the bridge. it can do literally anything.

EDIT: actually i would take that Standard 22 for $2100 thats an amazing deal. brilliant guitars.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 22, 2009,