I keep my amp plugged into an extension cord which is plugged into an extension cord. Could this be causing me some problems with my amp? Sometimes I turn it on, I get a hum, I get glowing tubes but no sound and I can't work out why
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

First of all, what brand is the amp?

Secondly, your sig has god mode toggled <on>
i lol'd irl.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Oh sorry forgot my gear wasn't in sig anymore, I removed to make way for that epic quote
I use so many cords because the only wall sockets in my room are on the wall where my bed is and where my TV stand is, so I can't sit my amp next to them because there's so much other stuff in the way.

EDIT: Still forgot to say! it's a Marshall JCM900 MKIII
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Last edited by SimplyBen at Sep 20, 2009,
IIRC my amp is plugged into an extension cord which is plugged into an extension cord which is plugged into an extension cord.
In that same extension, I have my PC, a huge stereo (two amps + 4 160w speakers), a 50w bass amp, couple of lamps, laptop charger, adaptor for my metal muff. and the amp is 120w. and running just like a dream.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by SimplyBen
I keep my amp plugged into an extension cord which is plugged into an extension cord. Could this be causing me some problems with my amp? Sometimes I turn it on, I get a hum, I get glowing tubes but no sound and I can't work out why

do you let it warm up on standby for little bit before you play ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
All extension cords are not created equal... might range from just fine to unintentional variac with built in firestarter.
Yes, i usually wait the time it takes for me to find my guitar, find a cable, set up the tuner correctly (adjust frequency/instrument/number of b's / #'s) and tune my guitar before plugging into the amp. It usually starts by then.

EDIT: sorry, a bit tired. thought the person asking the question was TS, asking me. Better do my homework, then head to bed haha
Yeah I give it plenty of time to warm up, the tubes get plenty hot. Can't see any fail lights on my fuses although I guess one could have got dislodged or something
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

right, a little more info about it. If I turn it right up I get a very, very quiet very buzzy sound out of it, what could it be? Bumping for help
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Do you get this sound when it plugged directly into the wall?

I have my amp over two extension cords too. And my PA. And my pedal power, and my Power Amplifier. I've been doing it for a while and it's never made a difference.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
I have a similar amp, and it hums louder if there's something high powered like an oven or shower running at the same time.
I've not tried directly into the wall since it's such a pain in the arse. I need to get a longer kettle lead I think to try and get it into it's own socket. The only things plugged in to the same extension is my pedal power brick. I wonder if unplugging that would help?

BRB going to try it in it's own wall socket.

Hmm, works fine once I unplugged the pedal power supply from the socket, dunno why
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Last edited by SimplyBen at Sep 21, 2009,