Hey all.

I was just looking at an EMG After Burner, and I was wondering .. as it replaces the Tone Knob, what will happen to the tone?

I mean, if you remove the tone knob, will the tone just be as if the tone was "at max"?

Because I never use the tone knob to muddy up my tone. ever. So i figure that i might as well just get a Gain Boost knob instead.

Amirite?
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by Darkflame
guessurrite =)

i'd like to be sure though

Me too, that's why i ask.

I like your band too. Some of it has a Doom Metal feel to it (End of the Lullaby at least).
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but you've just given me an idea of what I can do with both my guitars, as I don't use the tone knob either, so I'm gonna hover around for a while...
it'll actually most likely be slightly brighter than the tone at max. it'll be like the tone at 11. I think it's because having a pot there at all loads the signal down a little, and makes things a little warmer.

irony being that on most of my guitars with a tone knob, i keep the tone knob at 10 (unless i'm after a very specific, usually more vintage, tone)- yet on my one guitar with no tone knob, i always wish i had a tone knob to tame things slightly.

EDIT: what i'm trying to say is, just because you always keep your tone knob at 10 when you do have a tone knob doesn't mean it might not be slightly too bright without one. Some players love having no tone knob, though, just depends on preference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 20, 2009,
^This, although I'm not sure if it will affect active pups the same as passive ones. Worst comes to worst you might have to tweak your amp settings a bit to make up for whatever difference you get.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yeah, that's true, i wasn't sure about the active thing, either, i think they do react differently, impedance and all that malarkey. I assumed he was adding the afterburner to passive pickups, but if he's not, then all bets are off. bear in mind that activating the afterburner might make things slightly brighter again, because most of those boosters contain a buffer (i think they do, anyway), which corrects the impedance for long cable runs etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, that's true, i wasn't sure about the active thing, either, i think they do react differently, impedance and all that malarkey. I assumed he was adding the afterburner to passive pickups, but if he's not, then all bets are off.

O that's true, I just read EMG and immediately assumed active pups.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
well, I have the EMG 81/85 combo on my main axe, but I was kinda just talking in general terms.

A brighter tone is fine, i usually play with both Presence and Treble on 9-10 in order to get a fairly bright and clear tone suitable for metal (a bit easier since i got my ibanez with EMG's).

So, summing up, removing the tone knob will simply be the same as if i had my tone set to 10, maybe a slight bit brighter. Amirite?
^Correct.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
awesome!

(off-topic; how is that Agile AL-3000?)
Why all the tone-knob hate? They help when amps are just a tad too treblely and brittle, and when all the way down it can make some really good, smooth-sounding leads.
It will sound like your guitar does with the tone set at 10 but slightly brighter.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by Morgant
Why all the tone-knob hate? They help when amps are just a tad too treblely and brittle, and when all the way down it can make some really good, smooth-sounding leads.

well, I honestly never use it, and seeing it as an EMG Afterburner would be of more use to me, I can't see why I shouldn't install a sexeh gain boost instead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw1LIFIrAd0

just listen! the difference is enormous!

i simply started because i was curious what happens to the tone when the tone knob is gone.
^ what about just getting a clean boost pedal? that'd be another option.

Quote by Kevin Saale
O that's true, I just read EMG and immediately assumed active pups.

Quote by Eskil Rask

So, summing up, removing the tone knob will simply be the same as if i had my tone set to 10, maybe a slight bit brighter. Amirite?

yeah, it'll be a bit brighter.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it'll actually most likely be slightly brighter than the tone at max. it'll be like the tone at 11. I think it's because having a pot there at all loads the signal down a little, and makes things a little warmer.
\

+1

I actually did a pickup swap recently, and I messed a little with the electronics. It actually sounds more like the tone will be at 12. Removing the tone knob made the tone significantly brighter than I thought it would.

In some cases, depending on the tone wood used (esp Maple guitars and some Alder guitars), it makes it far too harsh.

Like the others have said too, if its active pickups, the buffer might boost the signal even more.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 21, 2009,
I always disconnect mine 2.it gives u alittle more output 2.I mean nothing major but it does.nothing gayer than turning ur tone knobs on accident while using the tremolo or making fast switches with the pickup selector
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by Eskil Rask
Me too, that's why i ask.

I like your band too. Some of it has a Doom Metal feel to it (End of the Lullaby at least).

haha thanks, even though i don't get how it can sound like doom metal, it's like teh calmest song ever XD

as for knobs, i'd be satisfied with a no-knob-guitar. actually, i really would be... i always keep my volume and tone at 10 because i don't like the muddiness i get by decreasing them... as for volume, i can set it with my pedals lol..
Quote by Darkflame
haha thanks, even though i don't get how it can sound like doom metal, it's like teh calmest song ever XD

as for knobs, i'd be satisfied with a no-knob-guitar. actually, i really would be... i always keep my volume and tone at 10 because i don't like the muddiness i get by decreasing them... as for volume, i can set it with my pedals lol..

If the final output becomes too sharp or trebly, one alternative you can consider is to take a very low value capacitor like within the range of 0.005μf - 0.001μf and then to ground that from the input lug on your volume pot. That may tame the overly bright signal.

This mod may make it sound like you still have tone pot set to max still in the signal path. You may want to experiment with the various capacitor values to find the sweet mix of higher trebles you like.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
\

+1

I actually did a pickup swap recently, and I messed a little with the electronics. It actually sounds more like the tone will be at 12. Removing the tone knob made the tone significantly brighter than I thought it would.

In some cases, depending on the tone wood used (esp Maple guitars and some Alder guitars), it makes it far too harsh.

Like the others have said too, if its active pickups, the buffer might boost the signal even more.

yeah, i didn't mean "11" as any kind of set in stone number, just as an illustration.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?