Hello everyone, soon I will be purchasing a new acoustic guitar. I'm set on a Taylor and It would take a sign from god to convince me to use any other brand. With that in mind what Taylor would you recommend in the 1500 (little more or little less ok) dollar price range. Acoustic/electric preferred and no preference on whether it has a cut away.
If you're going to spend that much on a Taylor, go for a 300 series. Do NOT get a 100 or 200. They are made of laminate whereas the 300 is made from all solid wood. The most popular model of taylor is probably the 14 style body. So... the 314ce is where you would look.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Go try some out and see what you like best. What I mean by that is play every guitar in the 300 series. Nothing lower than 300. Seriously.

Try other brands too. You might find you like something more than a Taylor.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
^ Agreed.

TS, what other guitars have you tried so far? If not much, then I seriously suggest you do some browsing before spending on a Taylor.

I once desperately wanted a Taylor as well, but then I tried a Martin D-16GT and realized what I was missing out on. The Martin had depth and richness - something I never heard with any Taylor I played.
Equipment:

agreed on the 300 series if you're gonna be buying any Taylor at all in that price range. You wont get much more than the 300 series for $1500, actually, but they are good guitars. I think the starting price of the 300 series is actually about $1800.

You should deffinitely try out other things as well. You never know what you might find.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
i like the 310ce, but then i'm a fan of sapele. if you go used, you can get more bang for your buck - i played a used 512ce at a local store today that was well under $2000. just loved the engelmann spruce top, btw.
Quote by BrownsBlues
I'm set on a Taylor and It would take a sign from god to convince me to use any other brand.

First, always capitalize my name. Second, you are making a mistake.

*sees your location

Dang, busted. Ok, so I'm not god. Just not a big fan of Taylors, any series. Congrats though, and remember to post pics
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

i'm a big taylor fan, but i'm wondering why you will only consider a taylor. on the one hand, they're fine guitars, but since you aren't set on a particular guitar, there are other brands of fine guitars out there, too.
I own a 214ce which cost $1000, not sure why people are saying dont go below 300 series cause mine sounds great, many of my friends prefer my Taylor over their $2000+ martins.

I would recommend buying from a store so you know the exact guitar you are getting and already have a feel for your individual guitar.
Why? Because nobody should be paying $1000 for laminate sides and back. I won't go as far to say that the 100 and 200 series guitars are bad, because they're not. They're well built guitars, no doubt. However, they're built with sub par materials for what you're paying out.

Taylor's 100 and 200 series used to be solid wood pre-2007. Their move to laminate was a huge step backwards. I think that plays a huge part in why so many say to avoid the 100 and 200 series. Myself included.
Equipment:

I just got back from the guitar center, after trying ALL the guitars my heart is pretty set on the Taylor 410ce. You can pick one up on eBay for a pretty good price it seems, though I'd be a little concerned to spend my money on a product I'd never put my hands on.
What did you try?
Equipment:

They had the usual assortment of Taylor Martin and Gibsons. I also tried a couple oddities, one of which I liked (Can't remember brand name not gonna guess at it). The only thing that impressed me about the Gibsons was the price tag. The Martins for me are always kind of a mixed bag, some cost 4,000 dollars and sound like a 400 dollar ovation, and others were good. DC-16OGTE I guess a comparable model to the Taylor, just didn't do anything for me. The on thing I wish they had was Guilds. I ordinarily like them but the guitar center does not carry them (not sure if thats the case with all guitar centers)
Try to see if you can find some Larrivee's. They're very well built and have a more balanced sound than Taylors. They're great for fingerpicking as well.
Equipment: