And so far, I like what I see. The guitars are all beautiful, comfortable to sit with, the neck is very thin which is good for shredding, and the value pricewise is incredible. But I'm not quite sure about the pickups. To me, the neck pickup (I think it's the inf3) sounds to a little to harsh, a little too articulate. And the bridge (inf4) is also a little too harsh. So I was wondering, what might be some good replacement pickups too install? Does anybody else think the same way? Just for a little reference to what type of a tone I would like out of this thing, something along the lines of Rocky George (Suicidal Tendencies) meets Rob Flynn (Machine Head).

Sorry about the typo on the title, it's supposed to be "at"
Last edited by rokrguy93 at Sep 20, 2009,
dimarzio tone zones sound good for more warmth
Seymour duncan always makes good ones too
i have a JB in my rg1570 bridge position and it has awesome tone
What RG are you looking to buy? They are good guitars, but the Basswood bodies just don't work for me and the Edge III isn't very good. If you're looking at the lower end models, I'd HIGHLY suggest you get an S series over an RG instead, as long as you don't need the extra 2 frets, they are made out Mahogany and the trem is FAR superior to the Edge III.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I would play mostly metal with that guitar and my budget is roughly around 500-700 dollars.
Did i hear the words Tone Zone and warmth in the same sentence?
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by rokrguy93
Matrix, what problems have you had with the Edge 3?

im not matrix but......

they break strings ALOT and they dont go in tune very well
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by rokrguy93
I would play mostly metal with that guitar and my budget is roughly around 500-700 dollars.

Get a used Prestige then

Quote by rokrguy93
Matrix, what problems have you had with the Edge 3?

It doesn't stay in tune very well unless it's set up properly, and even then it's not that great. If you use it a lot, the knife edges will wear out, causing you to having to buy a whole new trem. Unless you plan on blocking it, I wouldn't suggest buying a guitar with an Edge III, or other lower-end Ibanez trems (note: The ZR on the S series is not a low-end trem)
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 20, 2009,
How big is the leap in quality between the rg's and the prestiges?
Quote by rokrguy93
How big is the leap in quality between the rg's and the prestiges?

BIG

BIG
feel free to add me
Quote by rokrguy93
how so?

Prestige RG's uses:
Edge Zero Tremolo which is Ibanez's 2nd best Trem IMO (1st is teh Lo Pro)
Some Prestiges have a Mahogany body instead of Basswood (good improvement IMO)
the Wizard Prestige neck has a better feel IMO
They use Dimarzio Pups instead of the crappy Ibanez licensed ones
feel free to add me
Ahh.

Just curious, do you by any chance own one? If so, how are the pickups?
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Prestige RG's uses:
Edge Zero Tremolo which is Ibanez's 2nd best Trem IMO (1st is teh Lo Pro)
Some Prestiges have a Mahogany body instead of Basswood (good improvement IMO)
the Wizard Prestige neck has a better feel IMO
They use Dimarzio Pups instead of the crappy Ibanez licensed ones

Unless they've upgraded the new ones when they added the Edge Zero... they are still "designed by DiMarzio," unless you're buying a high end one.

If you can find an RG3120 though... they come with a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. It's also a Mahogany body. I wish I still had mine, that was a dumb moving on my part trading that guitar away
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Unless they've upgraded the new ones when they added the Edge Zero... they are still "designed by DiMarzio," unless you're buying a high end one.

If you can find an RG3120 though... they come with a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. It's also a Mahogany body. I wish I still had mine, that was a dumb moving on my part trading that guitar away

Oh OK.

and i found some sweet deal on my C-list a few weeks ago.
there is an RG3120 for 700, but i diddnt buy it
feel free to add me
Quote by MatrixClaw
Dimarzio/IBZ pickups are made by DiMarzio in New York; at the same place and by the same people as regular retail DiMarzio pickups.

This thread is actually full of poor advice...

You can get mid-range RG's made with mahogany if you're afraid of living with basswood (which is actually pretty tonally vapid. Nice if you're trying to use EQ pedals and different pickups to get a variety of tones) and there isn't anything terribly wrong with the Edge III. It's definitely not as good as some of the other stuff put into other mid-range guitars, but, as long as you set it up properly you should get at least a few years of trouble free service.

I personally had an RG350DX that served with particular distinction for over a year. I beat the hell out of that bridge (and it wasn't even set up properly for the first three or four months I owned the guitar) and it never went out of tune. Buy new and have it setup by someone who knows what makes an Edge III tick and you should be good to go.

The only real hating I can do on mid-range Ibanez guitars is to say the pickups aren't good enough. But then, no $250-500 guitar I've ever played has had good pickups so it's kind of a moot point. Budget a couple hundred extra for new pickups and buy your guitar accordingly. Or don't, some people get along happily with stock pickups in everything they play.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
^MY beef with the edge III is the knife edges. One of my edge III knife edges lasted only 4 months. after that i decided no more non MIJ Ibby's

Imo MIJ ibby's are the only ones worth buying. Better bridges, hardware, construction, wood quality etc. The prestiges esp use high quality wood. I prefer the basswood body prestige to the korean mahagony body s's sonically.
imo i prefer basswood body to mahogany on Ibby's.
the ibz designed pickups arent terrible. and neither are the v7/v8. but a pickup swap is easy to do if you unsatisfied with them

It can be pretty "warm" sounding in the right setup. Warm really isnt the right word though. its more hot with a nice bass end that is great for rhythm chug.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by ch0
Dimarzio/IBZ pickups are made by DiMarzio in New York; at the same place and by the same people as regular retail DiMarzio pickups.

That may be true, but they certainly don't sound as good as "real" DiMarzio models, they leave a lot to be desired IMO

There are people who have good experiences with the Edge III and others who don't, as you will find with just about any product. I've never personally owned a guitar with an Edge III but know quite a few people who do/have owned them and have played on many of them. My experiences with it was that it didn't stay in tune very well, but then again, I'm used to using the Lo-Pro and OFR; many of my friends even had to replace there's or sold them off because of how much of a hassle they were. However, I do believe that compared to other similar priced models from other companies that have floyd-style trems, the Edge III is one of the worse.

For me, basswood doesn't work for my tone, but there are higher end models that do sound great, I just find on the lower-end RGs to be lacking in the low end and are a bit too shrill in the high end for me
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by sharpant

OMG OMG! Are you really Jessica Alba?!?!?!?!?