Page 1 of 2
I'm super positive right now for some reason. I should go back to Worcester with all this positivity.

What do you think the best thing about punk is and why?

I'll tell you what I think when I get more time to formulate my thoughts tomorrow. I'm more interested in what you have to say though!
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
my favorite thing is how you can have a local community where everyone knows each other and is friends and also how you can go to another city and look for the punx and automatically make a connection.

Also the way we do things our own way despite the odds, like putting on shows wherever a show might be possible and having cool houses and safe spaces and wonderful things.
I love how most punks are anti conformist and yet all dress the same
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
it has the br00talz of metal but there is actually some substance to some of the lyrics. plus a punk show is impossible to beat.
i love the sense of community. I know exactly who my friends and who my enemies are. Not many people get me, but the punks always understand where im coming from.
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Okay guyz. You can stop the jokes. You guys are joking right?

My favorite thing about punk rock is pretty much what whyvern and sargasm mentioned. The community and DIY shows and such. It's all really great.
^ i loves the anarchies! My friends and i draw em on bathroom walls, school desks, and sometimes building walls(at night and if no one is around)

We spread the hXc rebellion and wreak havok in my area. They dont know what hit them.
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by Kosh H

Quote by WantsLesPaul

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by DempseyPunk
^ i loves the anarchies! My friends and i draw em on bathroom walls, school desks, and sometimes building walls(at night and if no one is around)

We spread the hXc rebellion and wreak havok in my area. They dont know what hit them.

Quote by charliezard!

whats wrong? you some kinda poser?

im not, in fact i smoked a cigarette today. I didnt cough, not even once
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by Kosh H

Quote by WantsLesPaul

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
The nods of punkness acknowledgment you get from random strangers for wearing a band shirt (I'm not fond of the times when the nod turns into a convo though.)

Also the music is groovy.

I've never experienced the community aspect everyone talks about but that's fine. Not having punk friends just means I can't put on a punk CD during road trips.

So we play Taylor Swift.

Which I have started to enjoy. At least in the context of the road trip.
Quote by werty22
The anarchies.

I prefer The Archies.

Look, Hot Dog thinks he's people!
I love that there´s practically no wider and more tolerant genre than punk. From Nausea to Television, it´s all inside and most of it is really good. People come round with each other and nearly everyone who is similar fits in directly. It´s community, but on a completely other base than nazi commnity or something like that.
Though I have to admit, that I think lots of people who are accepted and stuff like that abuse "punk" of being drunk the whole time and find it great and it´s awful sometimes that lots of people look like poster punks who´ve checked some catalogue and coloured their spikes and cut their jeans.
Last edited by lavazza at Sep 21, 2009,
I'm with you all on the sense of community you get that comes with punk.

There isn't really much of one round here, so it's really nice when you do meet other punks. There's a little club/pub round here though where all the best punk shows are and you can guarantee, even if there isn't a band playing, that there will be a few punks, skinheads, rockabilly's & generally just other like minded people in there each night/day even if they don't look like they should be listening to the music they do. That's the best place to go for community
let these flat chords just break your heart...
You want to know the awesomest thing about punk?

None of the original punks who are now bald old men with receding hairlines think that they're better and more punk than young people because they were around in the day.

Oh wait...
The Politics. Definitely. Also, I can dance like a moron while listening to punk and people don't laugh, they just give me a funny look. It's a great excuse for stupid behavior.
The People are cool (even though they're huge jerks) but sometimes they're pretty big hypocrites. But, so are many, many other people.
i love the girls, yummie yummie punk rawk girls.
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
The best thing about it is that its not a competition.

It's not about being the most technical.
It's not about being the most brutal.
It's not about being the most poetic.
It's not about being the most obscure.
It's not about being the most popular.
It's not about being the fastest, the hardest, the most complicated, the simplest.

It's about writing a good tune.

Of course certain elements do have this to it, but I've found punk to be one of the few genres where bands dont seem to be competing with each other.
Last edited by DanRev at Sep 21, 2009,
Sniffing coke through the queens face and making shallow models feel empty and useless is pretty punx.

You guys can do it through slaveowners faces for extra punx points.
the best thing about it is that there is so much arguing and division amongst fans as to what punk is and isnt
Quote by badreligion17
the best thing about it is that there is so much arguing and division amongst fans as to what punk is and isnt

To me, that's one of the worst things. Can't we just stop arguing about what is punk and what isn't and just listen to it? Is it really THAT important?
Quote by iwannabesedated
To me, that's one of the worst things. Can't we just stop arguing about what is punk and what isn't and just listen to it? Is it really THAT important?

it isnt but some people get so worked up if u say a band is punk that they don't think is that they become total jerks about it and get all elitest about how cool they are
And maybe we should argue about what's punk and what's not, but just not let it get in the way of liking the music. I'm a bit of a fan Blink 182, but I don't think they're punk, does that mean I like them any less? No.
Punk rock changed my life. It changed how I thought about myself, it changed how I thought about society, and it changed how I thought about music. Without punk, my life would probably be dull, gray, and even more meaningless than it currently is!

Even though my musical pallet has expanded beyond the confines of punk (not that those are narrow confines, as the other Tom pointed out), I think I can safely say that no other genre will ever have such a great effect on my life, and that's why I'll always love punk!

I like it because it's the only music with any form of meaning to the songs. Every song is about something, but only punk songs are about important things. Also, it is one of the few genres that establishes a community.
Quote by stinger12345
Because the Bay Area is the ****.

Quote by RockGuitar92
I'd be like "wtf, bro?" Then I'd promptly ice the bitch.
The music.

Everything else I have mixed feelings for, at best.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by punkrockdoc
I like it because it's the only music with any form of meaning to the songs. Every song is about something, but only punk songs are about important things. Also, it is one of the few genres that establishes a community.

I know what you mean but I disagree completely. Folk music, especially back in the day, was very meaningful. Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, etc. were all great and the music was VERY meaningful. That was also a huge community.

I would say Punk is more often meaningful, but it's not the only genre that does that.
The best part about punk is the music... I'm not some crazy political activist, and for the most part I don't even pretend to care about politics in general... but I have a strong connection with just about every punk song dealing with self-identity and social structure.
i like the simplicity about the music, and how its not about being the fastest, or the best guitarist, bassist or drummer, but each song is deeper than most other genres and so much effort is put into the lyrics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0V__Nm1NY4

this is my favorite thing about punk
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
The true answer? No Radiohead fans in punk.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by neidnarb11890

No doesn't count, the video description does not mention how they want to suck Thom Yorkes' dick, they didn't try as hard as possible to sing it in an annoying falsetto, and they played Creep, which every Radiohead fan hates because Thom Yorke hates it.

They are probably mocking Radiohead fans which not only makes them super punx but also means that I am right.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Good thing I don't count pop punk as real music!
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Page 1 of 2