Hey!

So I was wondering, Gibson Les Paul's are so expensive, but there are Les Paul's made by other companies, that are a lot cheaper.

I was wondering if the differences were worth the difference in price.
Generally guitars are better the more expensive they get.

Gibsons are good guitars, but in my opinion, they're overpriced. Like they're the best Les Pauls, but I really wouldn't pay more than $2000 for one.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface

Gibsons are good guitars, but in my opinion, they're overpriced. Like they're the best Les Pauls, but I really wouldn't pay more than $2000 for one.

Or 6k....
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by Guitar2theface

No doubt about it, but it seems like the differences in the guitars, aren't worth the difference in price.

Basically, you are just paying for the brand name, right?
A Gibson LP is over-priced. But Like a PRS or a Fender would be totally worth it. I have a Jazz Bass and a Fender Strat (American) and they are sooooooooo nice!
Quote by Tmusician
No doubt about it, but it seems like the differences in the guitars, aren't worth the difference in price.

Right

With Gibson, the quality of the guitar is a toss-up, usually. Some epiphone guitars are of the same quality as the lower end Les Pauls, and vice versa. The more it's worth, the higher chance it has of being a good instrument, but it isn't guaranteed.

I live in Memphis and have toured the guitar factory two times, and that's basically what they even tell you.
youre definately paying for the brand name for those particular guitars. gibson does make more affordable models (more specifically, the faded series) that are definately worth the money. otherwise its just overpriced imo.

as for other guitars in general, the more expensive USUALLY means a better guitar, but there are tons of guitars that are steals and worth more than the pricetag.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by Tmusician

Yes. You could get a completely custom, extremely well made guitar from a small luthier for much less than a Gibson.

EDIT: Well really, you could get a good guitar from most other guitar companies and pay a lot less. Gibson price are just ridiculous.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by RockNRollChaps1
A Gibson LP is over-priced. But Like a PRS or a Fender would be totally worth it. I have a Jazz Bass and a Fender Strat (American) and they are sooooooooo nice!

Strats aren't as consistently good as the PRS's though, in my opinion... And I personally only like a few of the high end PRS models. I own a Custom 24, and I think that's the only model worth what it's listed as.
Quote by Tmusician

Yes and no. You are paying an added premium because of the brand name, but at the same time often times more expensive guitars will use higher quality materials. Remember that just because two guitars are made of the same wood does not mean that the woods are equivalent quality.

And in your opinion the differences might be subtle enough that they don't justify a higher price, but (clearly) some people are willing to pay the higher price because of how highly they view those differences.
Quote by laxduck
Yes and no. You are paying an added premium because of the brand name, but at the same time often times more expensive guitars will use higher quality materials. Remember that just because two guitars are made of the same wood does not mean that the woods are equivalent quality.

And in your opinion the differences might be subtle enough that they don't justify a higher price, but (clearly) some people are willing to pay the higher price because of how highly they view those differences.

What are some of the differences? (I know they would vary, but an example)
Better wood, better craftsmanship, better hardware, and better electronics, better features, and cases. I considered selling my American Deluxe Strat and getting a MIM since I never play it. But I played a MIM Deluxe Strat through a Tiny Terror and my strat through a GT-10 sounded a lot better. I don't know how to describe it. Mine felt much better and had much better fretwork. The MIM just felt cheap. Mine also sounded a lot livelier through a solid-state rig that lacks a real amp. Some companies like Ibanez put better trems and necks on their higher end models. Cases are expensive too. A lot of them that come with guitars cost around $150 separately.

They're worth it, but it spoils you. Once you go high-end and you appreciate the differences, it's really hard to go back to a mid-range guitar.

And with Les Pauls, you're not just paying for the guitar. They're Gibson's most popular model, and they can't be affordable to everyone. If they were affordable, then everyone would have one, and the quality would really go down the drain. They would not have the resources (good wood) to make good quality guitars. That's the purpose of the Studio models. Flying Vs, Explorers, and SGs aren't overpriced. Only the Les Paul Standards and Traditionals are overpriced.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Sep 20, 2009,