I want to be able to have an overdrive and distortion pedal in one simple solution. I use a large range of amps, at school at band practice and at home. Some of them only have a clean channel, some of them have a pretty muddy distortion channel which needs an overdrive for a little nicer tone. Buying an OD and dist. pedal separately is a little pricey for me .

I've taken a look at the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde, and Blackstar HT-DUAL both of which have both overdrive and distortion built in. I want the Fulltone OCD or OD808 sort of overdrive sound (to use on amps with a distortion channel), paired up with a HardWire TL-2 kind of distortion (to use on vintage amps with only a clean channel), or any distortion good enough to play metalcore like Trivium, All That Remains, As I Lay Dying etc.

Budget is $200 USD max, preferably around 170-180.

Thanks
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
TC Electronics Nova Drive
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Well if you've already got the hardwire TL-2 (very nice choice btw, one of the few digitechs that don't totally suck), then i'd go with a Way Huge Pork Loin. I've been running a pork loin through my metal muff and it sounds great for shred/thrash tones imo. it's a very versatile pedal.
Quote by Schism1985
Well if you've already got the hardwire TL-2 (very nice choice btw, one of the few digitechs that don't totally suck), then i'd go with a Way Huge Pork Loin. I've been running a pork loin through my metal muff and it sounds great for shred/thrash tones imo. it's a very versatile pedal.

Yeah it's a very nice pedal...but I don't have one . Notice I said I want it 'paired up with a TL-2 kind of distortion'. I want to be able to have a distortion that sounds like a TL-2 basically.

EDIT: Alf that Nova Drive looks really good. Thanks for the suggestion!
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by HellBoy9393
Yeah it's a very nice pedal...but I don't have one . Notice I said I want it 'paired up with a TL-2 kind of distortion'. I want to be able to have a distortion that sounds like a TL-2 basically.

Ah **** my bad, man

Well then on your budget then i'd go with something like a EHX Metal Muff w/ Top Boost and an Ibanez Turbo Tubescreamer. I generally try to stay away from combo pedals unless it's like a BBE Mindbender or something like that.

Or you could possibly find a used WH Pork Loin on eBay and then pair that up with a new Metal Muff or used TL-2.
Quote by HellBoy9393

EDIT: Alf that Nova Drive looks really good. Thanks for the suggestion!

The nova drive is 250$ wich is over your budget, just sayin'
Quote by Sguit
The nova drive is 250$ wich is over your budget, just sayin'

i mis-read the budget............ sorry ts
feel free to add me
IMHumbleO:
There are plenty of things that are equally as nice, but nothing beats a tubescreamer thru a nice tube amp, and that is exactly why damn near every fx company out there makes some variation on it (boss-sd1, fulltone-fulldrive, keeley mods em, and many many more).

IMO get a tube screamer for the overdrive sound... now, you could spend your entire budget on one... but I'd just buy a used ts-9 for $50 and swap out the chip two an opa2134 and swap to resistors on the output to turn it to ts808 spec(you can find many diy threads about this, it's easy if you are even a novice at soldering).

and as far as high gain pedals... the mesa dual rectifier emulator that you can find info on on many diy sites is unequaled. youtube it and see if I'm wrong. I know of many pedals that sound as nice but nothing that sounds better IMO.
Last edited by mistermikev at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

i mis-read the budget............ sorry ts

Ebay... just sayin' that if you are lucky, you will find a good deal there.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by pokeatthedevil
Ebay... just sayin' that if you are lucky, you will find a good deal there.

ithe nova drive is pretty new so it might be hard to find one
feel free to add me
and as far as high gain pedals... the mesa dual rectifier emulator that you can find info on on many diy sites is unequaled. youtube it and see if I'm wrong. I know of many pedals that sound as nice but nothing that sounds better IMO.

could u send me some more info or a link? id love to have a mesa in a box .

im going with the people that say get seperate pedals. itll be easier to stay in ur budget too.

distortion:
metal muff
digitech metal master

OD:
TS9
danelectro cool cat drive (OCD clone, dirt cheap)

just youtube ur ass off, try em yourself, and stay away from boss when it comes to od and distortion.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
id love to have a mesa in a box .

its not a DIY pedal but its a Rectifier in a box
http://amtelectronicsusa.com/productpager1.html

if you want a Mesa Mark in a box check the Tech 21 Blonde, AMT Californa Sound.

for both Mark and Rectifier check the Tech 21 SansAmp GT2
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
its not a DIY pedal but its a Rectifier in a box
http://amtelectronicsusa.com/productpager1.html

if you want a Mesa Mark in a box check the Tech 21 Blonde, AMT Californa Sound.

for both Mark and Rectifier check the Tech 21 SansAmp GT2

thats awesome, and ALOT cheaper than i thought it would be. i wish i could find more clips or was able to try it somewhere.

TS should check this out too.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
thats awesome, and ALOT cheaper than i thought it would be. i wish i could find more clips or was able to try it somewhere.

TS should check this out too.

also check AMT's other pedals
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
also check AMT's other pedals

o believe me, uve kept me busy for a few days. i really wish i could try em somewhere though. im very very picky with gain pedals, especially now that i actually have a good enough amp where i really dont need one, just want different ones...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
So I'm getting the vibe that most of you suggest that I buy a distortion and overdrive separately? I thought an OD+Dist combo would save money but apparently it is not so..

I'll be running the OD through a Blackstar HT-5 most likely, to get an accurate metalcore tone. What are your suggestions? I was thinking Fulltone OCD, TS-9, that sort of deal.

I'll be running the distortion only through vintage amps or amps with crappy distortion channels, mostly ones in my band prac room and at school. (They have a Line 6 Spider 75 at school ==", and I have a Fender Super Reverb at band prac)

EDIT: looked at the AMT Rectifier pedal...looks and sounds very nice. I might have a hard time to getting it in Hong Kong though .
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Sep 21, 2009,

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94

Yeah I was thinking about that when I first started the thread...Is it good?
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Well I know the Fulltone fulldrive 2 is sweet with the Blackstar's clean channel. Im not sre about metalcore though.