Hey guys i looking to get a eq pedal, ive got a framus cobra, and im already running a ibanez ts9 and a bbe sonic stomp , soo the signal is already pretty boosted. I was wondering if i got an eq pedal, if it would wreck the tone or if i could do some good things with it?
As far as my understanding goes, Digitech makes a true bypass EQ. That should leave your tone alone (it rhymes, so it must be true!)
If you want affordability, I recommend the danelectro fish and chips. It's only 30 bucks at guitarcenter.com. I'm considering buying one myself eventually. Also, you might like the boss ge-7.
Quote by patbuck2
If you want affordability, I recommend the danelectro fish and chips. It's only 30 bucks at guitarcenter.com. I'm considering buying one myself eventually. Also, you might like the boss ge-7.

I've actually heard bad things about the fish and chips. Apparently it bleeds quite a bit and causes feedback issues. Don't know much about the ge-7 though
Get the MXR 10 band EQ.
Its honestly the staple of all pedal EQ's, nothing else compares.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
iv had no problems with my fishnchips. its a little sensitive on the sliders, and i cant really comment on "bleeding" as iv never really tried to listen that hard, but its great for livening up a tone for dirt cheap. although i also dont run it with too many other pedals at a time, i sort of just line up what i need at a time.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Sniper modded Ge-7 or MXR 10 band. I use a framus as well btw. I would ditch that bbe as there is absolutely no reason to use it. Especially if you're boosting and are getting an eq.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
yeah the mxr 10-band is by far the best eq pedal ive used. the fish n chips is the most bang for your buck, but a abit noisy. still its a great pedal but if you can afford the 10 band, do it.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
an eq will boost noise along with your tone... and in my humble opinion - when you consider you have an eq on your amp, your ts9 has an tone knob, your gtr has a tone knob... for me, it's money better spent on just about anything else.

that said, it is certainly possible to shape your tone w one and some ppul like them - nothing wrong with that.
Quote by mistermikev
an eq will boost noise along with your tone... and in my humble opinion - when you consider you have an eq on your amp, your ts9 has an tone knob, your gtr has a tone knob... for me, it's money better spent on just about anything else.

that said, it is certainly possible to shape your tone w one and some ppul like them - nothing wrong with that.

Hmm... this post is true/thought provoking.
Quote by mistermikev

wat

Quote by patbuck2
Hmm... this post is true/thought provoking.

No it isn't.

EQ pedals are great for people trying to find a very specific tone beyond what their amplifier's control settings allow for. It can give you a darker, edgier, brighter, etc. tone and you simply can't do that with most amplifiers' stock EQs, or at least not to the same extent.

The tone knobs on your pedals have very little effect on the overall tone of your amp+guitar, just the way the pedal changes the signal sent from the guitar. And that generally is a very specific change, unlike EQ pedals which allow you to manipulate lots of different frequencies.
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Get the MXR 10 band EQ.
Its honestly the staple of all pedal EQ's, nothing else compares.

This.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
"wat "

http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/mixing-music/eq-cut-boost.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/mar95/eq.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=MfrdzCmtn68C&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=recording+tip+eq+boosts+noise&source=bl&ots=tLz2wN1542&sig=3y_AW0XNkJ3sIHyYoPJqzivFnBQ&hl=en&ei=69O2SqWbKpS2MI_m6NoO&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false
(#62)

just the first three I came across in a quick google search.
again, they can certainly have their uses... for instance: they work well for clicking in a nice mid scoop, but I've found that the knobs on my amp are typically enough for this...
and in general: LESS IS MORE.
Last edited by mistermikev at Sep 20, 2009,
I certainly couldn't get my VK to sound the way it does without my MXR 10-band.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you are going to decide between the Boss GE-7 or the MXR 10 band eq, go with the MXR.

THREE Good Reasons:
1. the MXR COMES with a power supply. so its $120 average. the BOSS doesn't, so you pay for the power supply and the price becomes the same as the MXR or even more.
2. the MXR is better quality and build and ALL EQ's LIGHT UP!
3. the MXR has 3 MORE EQ bands

I HAVE THE MXR 10 BAND EQ AND LOVE IT!
mxr 10 band eq, / end thread, if you need 2 outputs get the kfk version liek i did
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.