Hey guys, I have a Gibson SG standard that I bought on eBay last year, it's from 05 and the auction said it had just had a professional set up.

I'm noticing that my higher strings go flat really really fast, like a minute after tuning. It's not a bad flat but just enough to make it not sound right. I also notice my high e string has a lower action then the rest of the strings, and it has some fret buzz.

Does this sound like I need to take it to a tech?

Thanks for responses in advance & Godbless
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
i have the same problem on my ibanez on the E, B, and G strings and that had extremly low action. i only have to fix it a couple times after a major tune tho. do you have good tuners?
try using nut lube if youre not already. if that doesnt help you might want to get some high quality aftermarket locking tuning machines. as far as the action its pretty easy on the sg to adjust. just make sure you set the intonation to compensate for lifting up the treble side of the brige seeing as it will slightly affect all the strings minutely but mostly on the treble side if thats the only side you raise.
I have the tuners that come standard on Gibsons
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by MichaelOfCanton
try using nut lube if youre not already. if that doesnt help you might want to get some high quality aftermarket locking tuning machines. as far as the action its pretty easy on the sg to adjust. just make sure you set the intonation to compensate for lifting up the treble side of the brige seeing as it will slightly affect all the strings minutely but mostly on the treble side if thats the only side you raise.

I can fit in when we're talking amps but I don't really know anything about the guitar ha.

So just raise the bridge on the treble side for the fret buzz with the e string?

Then how do i set intonation, or what do you mean by that?

raising the action will lessen buzz but if you have a problem with improper neck relief frets that are too high or too worn you should probably fix that first. if i were you id try very slightly raising the treble side of the bridge a little at a time and see if you can get it to stop buzzing and still play well. if the action feels too high before it stops buzzing than you probably have problems elsewhere on the guitar.
as far as intonation, basically youre moving the saddles the strings sit in back and forth so that all the notes play true and not sharp of flat. its easy to set if you have an accurate tuner or good ears. play the open note and than a note fretted at the 12th fret and make sure they match exactly but one octave apart. if youre setting it by tuner you might want to play the 12th fret harmonic and tune the fretted twelfth to that to avoid confusing mediocre tuners with octaves.
if the fretted note comes out flatter than the unfretted note or 12th fret harmonic adjust the saddle towards the neck to slightly shorten the strings vibrating area. if the fretted note comes out sharp move the saddle away from the neck, lengthing the strings vibrating area. retune the string after each adjustment before checking again and do a final check making sure that everythings perfectly intonated while perfectly in tune across all six strings.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
raising the action will lessen buzz but if you have a problem with improper neck relief frets that are too high or too worn you should probably fix that first. if i were you id try very slightly raising the treble side of the bridge a little at a time and see if you can get it to stop buzzing and still play well. if the action feels too high before it stops buzzing than you probably have problems elsewhere on the guitar.
as far as intonation, basically youre moving the saddles the strings sit in back and forth so that all the notes play true and not sharp of flat. its easy to set if you have an accurate tuner or good ears. play the open note and than a note fretted at the 12th fret and make sure they match exactly but one octave apart. if youre setting it by tuner you might want to play the 12th fret harmonic and tune the fretted twelfth to that to avoid confusing mediocre tuners with octaves.
if the fretted note comes out flatter than the unfretted note or 12th fret harmonic adjust the saddle towards the neck to slightly shorten the strings vibrating area. if the fretted note comes out sharp move the saddle away from the neck, lengthing the strings vibrating area. retune the string after each adjustment before checking again and do a final check making sure that everythings perfectly intonated while perfectly in tune across all six strings.

Wow I feel educated now , that will help alot. thanks.

oh yeah i forgot to mention if youre raising the action youre changing the intonation so set the action first and set the intonation last.
try adjusting the bridge by lowering, raising, or tightening it. My friend had the same problem, i did just what i said and he stays in tune much better.