I've really been considering my next guitar, and I know what I want: a Gibson. And fortunate enough for me, there's two within my budget: (read the thread title).

I've played them both and they sound fairly identical. I can get a little more flexibility with the SG because of the two tone pots for each humbucker. While that is a nice feature, I don't see myself rolling around the tone knobs all the time while playing live.

I like the way they both feel. The necks are great and I love the tones I can get out of them. Everything from jazzy twang to Silverstein metal.

So besides the body shape and the price, is there that much of a difference? The V and the SG are made of the same woods and hardware. The SG has 490R/T's and the V has a 496R and a 500T.

To anyone that has more than a half hour of experience with both of these guitars, which one would be better in the long run? I've heard that replacing the neck with a Classic '57 is almost a must. Is that true?

I don't want suggestions for other guitars, I'm just curious to know if the Flying V is really worth the extra $250.
Neck replacement is a biased opinion honestly, that's likely coming from the people who didn't find any points of comfort in the stock neck. To be frank with you, it comes down to which one's more comfortable for you to play and which body calls to your attention and needs more, some people will find playing the V a bit awkward as opposed to the SG.

This would be a tough decision for me because I would enjoy all the control functions the SG has to offer, and would absolutely adore the body to a thorough degree. On the other hand I would relish the opportunity to have the V as well with the description you're providing. At the end of the day I'd probably choose the SG and wait to go to Gibson custom shop down the road for a tricked out V to my specific specifications.
I'm torn between SG and V because I have a guitar thats half a V already.

I like the SG because the double cutaway is so nice for those upper frets, but I like the V because it's so sleek. I love the way the both feel and play, which makes it even worse.

The V's upper fret access is nice, but not nice like the SG's.
I would definitely choose the SG in that case, but having more than one flying V around would definitely be a beautiful thing too. I can see why you're torn between the two, it's a really tough call. I say in this moment I'd know which to choose but to be honest once I sat down with the bread to purchase one of the two I'd bet you ten to one I'd be in the same situation.
Honestly I could put a 496R in the neck and a 500T in the bridge on the SG...

And it wouldn't cost me $250.
I had the Faded V for a year and a half. I woud say avoid the faded series. I had two friends that bought the SGs and we all had problems out of ours. They had electrical issues, bad wiring from the factory, and my friends had their tuning machines break. Mine were getting pretty worn. I couldnt do a decent bend without the strings dropping a half step. I would say invest your money in something better. Thats just me. But if i absolutely HAD to choose between one I would go with the V because the neck seemed slimmer, which I liked.
Quote by minchew
I had the Faded V for a year and a half. I woud say avoid the faded series. I had two friends that bought the SGs and we all had problems out of ours. They had electrical issues, bad wiring from the factory, and my friends had their tuning machines break. Mine were getting pretty worn. I couldnt do a decent bend without the strings dropping a half step. I would say invest your money in something better. Thats just me. But if i absolutely HAD to choose between one I would go with the V because the neck seemed slimmer, which I liked.

What years of production were the SG's and your V minchew?

r0ckth3d34n, pickup changing is definitely a good option should you choose the SG
Mine was an 06 i think. The SGs were an 06 and an 07 I believe. They could have gotten better but I still wouldn't trust them.
The Faded SG and V I played were 2008's... I thoroughly inspected them (probably made myself look like a complete loser) and they both were flawless.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
The Faded SG and V I played were 2008's... I thoroughly inspected them (probably made myself look like a complete loser) and they both were flawless.

nothing is flawless. you just haven't found something better yet.

the faded series feels like any other sub-500 dollar guitars. i would definitely suggest you look into a used sg standard or a used v standard, the comfort of neck binding along on the sg is worth the saving.
I disagree when people say that all the faded series feels like a sub-500 dollar guitar. I've got a guitar that was faded stock. It's a goldtop now, but all i've done to it is a refinish on the top.
I use it over my custom when i play live.

I know we're on about SGs and V's, but the bottom line is that you've just gotta find the right guitar and the fadeds can be wonderful apart from the finish.
Both good, but I'd go for the SG, better high fret access and the V can be difficult to play unless your standing up
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

I like the finish on the Faded guitars. Not because I'm into relicing (and I'm not), but shiny guitars are almost overrated.

I've played many guitars in my two years of playing the guitfiddle, and the Gibson felt the best. Maybe its just the name, but ESP/LTD falls right under Gibson.
Sounds like you like the V more than the SG.

I myself love SG's but left my sh*tty one back home and looking for a new one.

Just ask yourself what would be better for you.

Are gonna be playing mostly sitting or standing?
What shape would be more better for your style?
Ect.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
why does it have ot be a gibson? If your gettnig a V there are so much better for the price
SG is more comfortable while sitting down but i must admit the flying V does give a rockstar look
I love my Faded SG. It nice and light, and i like the tone. Good backup guitar
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Shapes for my style... considering I'm still pretty much a nooby to guitar, I've been looking at all kinds of different shapes. I don't want another exotic (ML, RZR BK, Xipohs, Warrior, Explorer), so I've been looking at more "normal" guitar shapes. Les Pauls, SG's (which have grown onto me heavily) and V's.

My guitar is a Dean DBD T, which is an ML shape and is half a V. I love the feel of V's. I play standing up just as much as I do sitting, and even right now I'm sitting with my guitar on my lap typing this reply. Of course, if I were to do this with a V shaped guitar it probably would have spilled by know.

Why a Gibson? Because I've always really wanted a Gibson. Sure there are others out there, and I'm quite aware, but Gibson guitars usually keep their value, so I'd probably not lose money on the guitar if I decided to sell it. It's not the same for the Faded SG's, though. That and all my buddies would be like DUDE YOU GOT A GIBSON?!?!

Hell yeah!

One guitar has really caught my eye, the Agile AL-3000 in Tribal Blue. $400 and for $200 more I could put Flying V pickups in it and it would probably sound pretty much the same.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Shapes for my style... considering I'm still pretty much a nooby to guitar, I've been looking at all kinds of different shapes. I don't want another exotic (ML, RZR BK, Xipohs, Warrior, Explorer), so I've been looking at more "normal" guitar shapes. Les Pauls, SG's (which have grown onto me heavily) and V's.

My guitar is a Dean DBD T, which is an ML shape and is half a V. I love the feel of V's. I play standing up just as much as I do sitting, and even right now I'm sitting with my guitar on my lap typing this reply. Of course, if I were to do this with a V shaped guitar it probably would have spilled by know.

Why a Gibson? Because I've always really wanted a Gibson. Sure there are others out there, and I'm quite aware, but Gibson guitars usually keep their value, so I'd probably not lose money on the guitar if I decided to sell it. It's not the same for the Faded SG's, though. That and all my buddies would be like DUDE YOU GOT A GIBSON?!?!

Hell yeah!

One guitar has really caught my eye, the Agile AL-3000 in Tribal Blue. $400 and for $200 more I could put Flying V pickups in it and it would probably sound pretty much the same.

you fail
1st off gibson is not the only guitar that keeps its value
2nd u care what other ppl think about what guitar u have, ppl who dont play guitar generally think if u dont have a gibson and a marshell your gear is crap
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

Hell yeah!

don't buy a guitar based on looks.
don't buy a guitar based on how friends may or may not react.

buy a guitar because it plays great and does the genres of music you play best or to your liking.

imo, no the V is not worth the extra $250.

edit: slow post ftl
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by Tedis1111
you fail
1st off gibson is not the only guitar that keeps its value
2nd u care what other ppl think about what guitar u have, ppl who dont play guitar generally think if u dont have a gibson and a marshell your gear is crap

I fail? Obviously you failed English and Language Arts.

99% of my buddies play guitar, and they own Ibanez and Epi's, and wish they could own a Gibson but are too stupid to look at the Faded and Studio Gibsons. The Flying V fits my playing styles, entirely. The SG does, too! Imagine that?

Generally people who don't play guitar have no idea what any gear brands are. Sure, maybe some know that Fenders and Gibsons are "the best" but that's about it.

When I first starting playing guitar I thought Gibsons and Marshalls were the best. But that's not true, at all.

I could go for the Schecter V-1 Classic, Solo-6 Classic or C-1 Classic. I could. But I don't want a Schecter in general. I don't want an Ibanez, either. I don't really like Ibanez guitars. Considering I don't want a Fender, Dean, Epiphone or a Jackson either, that leaves ESP, Agile, DBZ and Gibson. I'm probably forgetting some guitar company somewhere down the line, but whatever.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I fail? Obviously you failed English and Language Arts.

99% of my buddies play guitar, and they own Ibanez and Epi's, and wish they could own a Gibson but are too stupid to look at the Faded and Studio Gibsons. The Flying V fits my playing styles, entirely. The SG does, too! Imagine that?

Generally people who don't play guitar have no idea what any gear brands are. Sure, maybe some know that Fenders and Gibsons are "the best" but that's about it.

When I first starting playing guitar I thought Gibsons and Marshalls were the best. But that's not true, at all.

I could go for the Schecter V-1 Classic, Solo-6 Classic or C-1 Classic. I could. But I don't want a Schecter in general. I don't want an Ibanez, either. I don't really like Ibanez guitars. Considering I don't want a Fender, Dean, Epiphone or a Jackson either, that leaves ESP, Agile, DBZ and Gibson. I'm probably forgetting some guitar company somewhere down the line, but whatever.

your buying a gibson for the name and so other ppl like u, thats pathetic
whats wrong with schecter? whats wrong with ibanez? have u played these guitars? or do u not like the brand name? ESP Vs are great look at them they are cheaper and better than Gibsons, also they make nice SG style guitars

never buy a guitar for the name
Right. Okay. Im buying the Gibson for the name. I'm buying a Gibson guitar because it says Gibson on the headstock. It just so happens that I've liked the way Gibson's feel compared to other guitars. The necks are comfortable, the sounds are great, and they're made the U.S.A. Can't go wrong with that.

There's nothing wrong with Schecter or Ibanez. I don't like the Wizard neck and Schecter necks feel sticky to me. They're great guitars, just not for me.

I think The ESP Viper is incredibly ugly. And besides, they all come with EMG's. I don't like EMG's and I don't feel like buying a $700+ guitar, having to replace the pickups.
u realy havent thought this through, your looking at big names only, your a total fanboy, you didnt work out u could get a better quality guitar AND replace the pups for hte same price. i give up, go buy the gibson and wait till one of your friends comes in playing a jackson or suming and kicks hte hell outa your gibson
Quote by Tedis1111
u realy havent thought this through, your looking at big names only, your a total fanboy, you didnt work out u could get a better quality guitar AND replace the pups for hte same price. i give up, go buy the gibson and wait till one of your friends comes in playing a jackson or suming and kicks hte hell outa your gibson

Your posts have hurt my eyes. You're more than likely not even old enough to be on these forums...

How could I be only looking at big names? I've looked at Jackson, Ibanez, ESP, Gibson, Schecter, MusicMan, Rickenbacker (tell me how many of those you see, please), PRS, Gretsch, Laguna, B.C. Rich, Fender and Washburn.

I pretty much scraped the Gibson idea yesterday when I looked at Agiles. AL-3000 in Tribal Blue is as good as it gets... yummy...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Your posts have hurt my eyes. You're more than likely not even old enough to be on these forums...

How could I be only looking at big names? I've looked at Jackson, Ibanez, ESP, Gibson, Schecter, MusicMan, Rickenbacker (tell me how many of those you see, please), PRS, Gretsch, Laguna, B.C. Rich, Fender and Washburn.

I pretty much scraped the Gibson idea yesterday when I looked at Agiles. AL-3000 in Tribal Blue is as good as it gets... yummy...

i honestly dont believe for one secound that only now have u decided to tell me u have played hundreds of guitars by all these brands
I haven't played hundreds of guitars by those brands. I've played the guitars that appeal to me and that are in my price range.

Of course I'd play a factories worth of guitars by each brand...
If their both in your budget then surely if you bought the SG you'd have $250 spare, so you could buy some Bare Knuckle pickups for it! That's what I'd do if I had cash...
if you're going for the sg. i recommend saving up for a standard. it is that much better. i had a faded sg before, it honestly felt like the frets were trying to scrape off my fingers.
I looked at the Epi SG's with Dirty Fingers. Those seem pretty nice for the price... but I'd have to find one to play at Ye Olde Guitar Centre...