I'm pretty advanced in playing but my knowledge of scales are bad. Should I just learn and remember their shapes?
Just play them over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over again untill it is permanently implanted in you mind.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Shredder's got it right, just practice and repeat them until thats all you can think about night and day
Make up some licks using a certain scale.
Write that lick down in tabs or sheet music and write the scales you used over the lick.

That's what I did to learn a few scales.
best way i found was to practice them to a metronome and (if you can) sing along to it, as in "C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C-C-B-A-G-F-E-D-C" along with the C Major scale (up and down one octave.)

In case you've never used a metronome to practice, choose a goal BPM, (I started choosing 80 BPM), put it in 4/4 time and at around 60 BPM at first, and play four notes per beat, then once you have that speed perfect, increase the tempo (BPM) by 4 beats, and play at that speed. Keep going up until you reach your goal speed man.

It's boring as hell, i'm not gonna lie, but it works.

The singing helps you cement it in your mind, as well as helping your vocal skills, and your ability to sing and play at the same time, which is always useful. It also means, you'll learn the notes on the fretboard, which really helps later, and will mean you know the notes in the scale, rather than just the fingering pattern, which will help when writing your own music or jamming with other musicians =)

have fun
Quote by Jackson Boy 666
best way i found was to practice them to a metronome and (if you can) sing along to it, as in "C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C-C-B-A-G-F-E-D-C" along with the C Major scale (up and down one octave.)

In case you've never used a metronome to practice, choose a goal BPM, (I started choosing 80 BPM), put it in 4/4 time and at around 60 BPM at first, and play four notes per beat, then once you have that speed perfect, increase the tempo (BPM) by 4 beats, and play at that speed. Keep going up until you reach your goal speed man.

It's boring as hell, i'm not gonna lie, but it works.

The singing helps you cement it in your mind, as well as helping your vocal skills, and your ability to sing and play at the same time, which is always useful. It also means, you'll learn the notes on the fretboard, which really helps later, and will mean you know the notes in the scale, rather than just the fingering pattern, which will help when writing your own music or jamming with other musicians =)

have fun

On top of this, it's also good to memorize how to actually make the scale, like 12345671, in the case of the major scale.
Quote by andrewcgreeley
I'm pretty advanced in playing but my knowledge of scales are bad. Should I just learn and remember their shapes?
Understand where the shapes come from, then you'll be able to remember them easier and you'll be able to work out any bits you forget. Starting with the major scale, learn the scales in terms of steps (WWHWWWH), notes (eg C Maj = CDEFGAB) and intervals from the root (Root, Maj 2nd, Maj 3rd, Perfect 4th, Perfect 5th, Maj 6th, Maj 7th, octave) - and learn to find intervals on your neck. If you learn to harmonise the scale by stacking thirds too, that lets you play the chord scale up the neck, which basically gives you the 'shapes' too.

If you can do that for the major scale, you're already 90% of the way to learning all the other scales you're likely to use to, as pretty much any scale you'll ever need can be derived from the major scale.
Learn how you actually make the scale, like Colohue said, but also, trying learning the strings, not the 1st position, 2nd pos. etc.
When I did this, I had a break though, and it really helped me memorise scales.

Just to make sure you know what I mean. Instead of playing 1 position across all the strings, memorise one of the strings, play along to a backing track, using ONLY that string. When you've got all the notes, memorise the 2nd string, and play only the 2nd string. Then play the 2nd and 1st string together...etc.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Make sure you understand them and make sure you use the knowledge you get from them. Just playing them up and down is pointless, it teaches you nothing and doesn't help you in any practical sense.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com