Does anybody know a good comparison site of two Gibson Les Paul guitars ( Studio, Custom)
there is almost $2000 price difference between these two

or can someone post a detailed comparison

thx
Cosmetics, hand built vs assembly line, pickups, electronics, higher grade wood.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by theacousticpunk
Cosmetics, hand built vs assembly line, pickups, electronics, higher grade wood.

pickups are the same.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Okay well the Custom is made by the Custom shop vs the Studio in the USA shop. Custom shop means higher grade wood and more time taker to build it, the custom also has alot of binding, front and back of body, neck and headstock, while the studio has none. The custom also has inlays on the head stock and square inlays on the neck. The customs only come with ebony boards, only the white studios come with ebony boards, the rest have rosewood.
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by metamp
Hmm so custom is the real thing

They are both the real thing, Studios were built as a cheaper version of the standard/ custom without the bling, (binding and figured tops). It's like cars, Studio is the base model, standard is the model with some upgraded things, like airbags, radio, and the custom is like getting the full blown leather seats, and everything else.
Lets jump in a pool

Some people argue that the Studio is a better buy. I wouldn't doubt it. It's $2000-$1500 cheaper (depending on the paintjob, which just goes to show...) and everything is basically the same.

490R and 498T pickups are like the only pickups you'll find in Les Pauls. Just like how most SG's have 490R/T's.
the things that I don't get is how can an expensive guitar come with plastic knobs on the tuners
that's the fist thing I would replace on the studio

What I'm reading is the the Studio sounds fatter then the standard, is that true ?
For the most part, I think they would sound quite similar. Same pickups and woods...

But something tells me the Studio has a thinner body than the Custom...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
For the most part, I think they would sound quite similar. Same pickups and woods...

But something tells me the Studio has a thinner body than the Custom...

It is a little thinner.
Lets jump in a pool

You can get an ebony board on a custom, something you won't find on a studio.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by LesZeppelin33
This guide has been outdated for years now.

Anyway, the core differences are the slightly heftier body of the Custom, the fact that the Customs are now made under the Custom Shop label (up until a couple of years ago they were just regular production models), but most importantly the wood used in the Customs is of a much higher grade than the wood used in Studio models. That is where most of your money is going.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
what about the cheap plastic knobs on the tuning machines of the studio. If I decide to go with Studio and want to replace them it's going to be hard as the cheapos have srew hole further apart so when I remove them and install all metal ones they will not cover the holes from the old machine heads
Well there is that, but generally you just have to accept that no matter what upgardes you stick on a Studio, it's always going to look cheaper and will never be as solid and simply as good overall as a model coming out of the Custom Shop. If it was possible to make a Studio that good, nobody would buy anythign else, everyone would just buy cheap and upgrade.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Flibble, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the customs get any weight relieving at all, its just one solid piece of wood.....whereas the Studio gets the hole treatment.
Quote by gregs1020
You can get an ebony board on a custom, something you won't find on a studio.

not true, in the later 80's up until 1993 they did have ebony fretboards...see sig
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
not true, in the later 80's up until 1993 they did have ebony fretboards...see sig
They had ebony fretboards up until just eight months ago if I recall correctly, the Alpine White version with gold hardware had an ebony fretboard.

Quote by GuitarDTO
Flibble, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the customs get any weight relieving at all, its just one solid piece of wood.....whereas the Studio gets the hole treatment.
Depends on the year they were made, but in terms of the current Customs and Studios, you're right. Just a year or so ago though the Customs were just part of the normal production line and were weight-relieved.
Quote by MrFlibble
Well there is that, but generally you just have to accept that no matter what upgardes you stick on a Studio, it's always going to look cheaper and will never be as solid and simply as good overall as a model coming out of the Custom Shop. If it was possible to make a Studio that good, nobody would buy anythign else, everyone would just buy cheap and upgrade.

I did some search a I found a Studio Silverbrust edition that comes with metal machine heads http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=582657&src=3WNTWXX&ZYXSEM=0

what do you think of it ?
It's still just a Studio. You're simply paying more for the special finish.

]Studios can be alright guitars, but you've got to play a lot of them to make sure you get a good one, because most of them are pretty bad and not worth anywhere near what they cost - often the average Studio is no better than the typical Epiphone Lp Standard.
Studios from the early 90's up until around 2001 are often very good though, so it can be worth looking on the second hand market for an older Studio.
thanks for the advice but the only option for a used one is eBay ...the problem with it is I can't test it