I've got a pretty dam big pedalboard, some will frown on that, but I do love to mess with them and they are a nice addition to my sound.

I have a JCM 900 combo with an effects loop that should be fine.

I'm having troubles with some pedals.

First off, I have an old school Boss BF-2 in the loop, and for some reason it makes the overdrive channel sound like garbage when its plugged in. I've tested it many times, ran the whole board, than would cut out the bf-2 and it makes it sounds a lot more muffled/muddy. Could be the bad Boss bypass, but this is pretty extreme for that.

Secondly, a similar thing happens with my Small Clone, which is also in the loop. It sounds fine with it plugged in though, but on the overdrive channel if I turn it on it REALLY lowers in volume, I'd venture to say about half of the original volume.

Thirdly, I've been getting some insane buzzing recently, which isn't surprising with all the pedals but it seems to have gotten worse. I cut down the pedals in front of my amp to just a tubescreamer, and the pedal makes more when its OFF compared to when its on. ?????????????

Thanks for any helpful info you have.

Setup

In front of the amp:

Guitar-->ISP Decimator-->Dunlop Crybaby-->MXR Phase 90-->Boss TU-2-->Tubescreamer-->EHX Little Big Muff-->Amp

In the loop:

Send-->Boss BF-2-->MXR 10 Band EQ-->EHX Small Clone-->Boss DD-7-->Return
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Yeah, think about what you want the Decimator to do; reduce unwanted noise. It can't stop the noise that happens after it in the signal chain and how much unwanted noise is coming out of the guitar?
I've tried it in the loop but it wasn't too successful.

Haven't tried it last in front of the amp though.

I use the Decimator mostly for louder volumes, and the buzzing I'm getting is something kind of new so I'd like to figure out why.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
put ur guitar straight to ur amp using each cord at a time. sounds like one is busted. and move ur isp.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
What are you using to power the pedals? Cheap adaptors can add a fair bit of noise.
Quote by littlephil
What are you using to power the pedals? Cheap adaptors can add a fair bit of noise.

I'm using a probably pretty cheap 9V onespot kind of thing that came with the board, and a 18v MXR one for the EQ.

I run extra connections out of the TU-2 for a bunch of the pedals, so thats just an extension of the 9v adapter.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I think that could be a source of some of the noise, probably not all of it though. See if you can find someone to borrow a better supply (Voodoo labs pedal power, Dunlop DC brick) off to see if that changes anything.
hmm, not sure on all that.

I'm working on a pedal board with some 45 pedals on it. you most certainly could not play all 46 at once and expect to get decent sound, but with a nice buffer up front and some true bypass loops my signal path in most cases would be equiv of 6 pedals in a row... but I digress.

#1, I have a 74' crybaby and it's my believe that ALL crybabys suck tone like you wouldn't believe. either convert it to true bypass or get it on a tb loop IMO.

#2 the boss bf-2... has the common boss buffer that will bleed highs when bypassed... but it's a subtle dif - one that is def more noticeable on med gain sounds - perhaps that's your prob. again, I'd have it on a tb loop.

not sure about the small clone - sounds like it's a prob when the circuit is 'on'? probably just the way the circuit is built. not every pedal keeps your signal at exactly the sm vol as it came in... and that's why you see so many 'deluxe' models with an overall volume knob.
I don't think this is the end of the world if you like it's sound... just deal w it.

afa buzz... could be so many things... but the most common is prob cheap wall warts. still I use the 1spots set up on a power conditioner and it's pretty quiet for me in my house. more noise when it's off sounds peculiar but it could be that you just don't notice it when it's on cause of all the buffers and gain you signal is passing thru. try using it with a battery and see if that solves your prob.

good luck.
I'm not too sure about the Boss, he said its an older one, which typically had decent bypasses. Still, it could be that.