I have some nice cherry planks that I cut from a tree and was wanting to know how to dry it properly without a keln. So what would be a method to do this without it bowing or busting and how long will it take?
Last edited by Silent_Crow13 at Sep 20, 2009,
Apparently it takes forever? Like I've read some posts saying between 15 and 20 years before it's useable without a kiln.

You would also have to stack it in the proper manner, in an area where the moisture content and temperature of the air are relatively constant. Basements with a dehumidifier are good for this.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
The heat would probably cause warping etc. beyond what would normally be expected.

Keep it in a dry area with relatively constant temperature.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Make sure to seal the end grain as well to prevent checking (cracks). Make sure it is stored horizontally, not vertically in some corner or something. I would definitely recomend the constant temp. thing as well.

Oh, and the 1 year per inch thick is a pretty good rule, more or less depending on your atmospheric humidity.

My dad had his own furniture making business so he did this stuff all the time.
Go and ask at a pro timber mill or cabinet maker.
Don't rely on any advice from here, not meaning any of the above advice is incorrect.
Last edited by R.Christie at Sep 21, 2009,