I'm looking to upgrade my pickups.

Ibanez RGA121
Marshall MG50

I play thrash metal.

I've been considering the Dimarzio D-Activator X, EMG 81X/60X, and Bare Knuckle Warpigs.

What do you guys think? Are Bare Knuckles worth price? What would I get? What about my other choices?
Quote by littlephil
Honestly, most people here are going to suggest you upgrade your amp.

^^^
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
Quote by littlephil
Honestly, most people here are going to suggest you upgrade your amp.

This.

Really no matter how nice pickups you have, that amp is pretty bad. It won't make that much of a difference. A lot of people think that a nice set of pickups will take care of a bad amp. It won't.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I've only had this amp for a couple months. I am a bedroom player, and it seems as if tube amps are too much hassle. (tubes having to warm up, the need to play loud, etc.) If you can convince me that upgrading my amp would only result in better sound, I'll upgrade my amp. Amp budget 3-400 bucks.
Quote by hsteve3
I've only had this amp for a couple months. I am a bedroom player, and it seems as if tube amps are too much hassle. (tubes having to warm up, the need to play loud, etc.) If you can convince me that upgrading my amp would only result in better sound, I'll upgrade my amp. Amp budget 3-400 bucks.

Nice ignorance, bro. I always found with my B-52 AT-112 that letting it stay on standby for 15-20 seconds was always a giant hassle.
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
I've read a hundred reviews that the B52 is a piece of crap. Apparently, most don't work straight from the factory. That would be a hassle....BRO.
Quote by hsteve3
I've read a hundred reviews that the B52 is a piece of crap. Apparently, most don't work straight from the factory. That would be a hassle....BRO.
That was early in the B-52 AT-112's life span. They have since added a fan, however the AT-112 is dis-continued.

Get a new amp. I suggest too look into a Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube, or Vox Valvetronix. They all make a practice version of the amp. I'd also suggest a Blackstar HT-5. A great, small tube amp for bedroom practicing. The amp makes up more of the tone then the pickups. I's say the amp makes up 80% of your tone, with the guitar (wood, pickups) 10%, and fingers the other 10%.
I think good advice would've fixed my misconceptions about tube amps. I think a more knowledgeable person would've made an accurate and general comment about tube amps.
A general comment may have allowed me to learn something.

Most tube amps are out of my budget. I've done a lot of research on the B-52 112, and it is the reason why I don't have a tube amp. Reading his comment, there wasn't anything to listen to. Knowing that a B52's warm-up time is 15-20 seconds doesn't help me in the short or long term.

I'll go elsewhere.
A Vypyr 75 would be a massive upgrade from the MG, and would last you a long time.

To be honest, you're not going to find a new tube amp in that price range that would do metal very well (aside from the Blackstar HT-5, but that's low wattage) unless you go used, in which case you have a world of options opened up to you, such as the Peavey XXX, Ultra Plus and VTM series.

A misconception is that tube amps have to be played loud to sound good; it's more that a tube amp has to be played loud to sound GREAT. Again, I'll recommend the Vypyr 75; pretty much the best amp I've played in that price range.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by hsteve3
I think good advice would've fixed my misconceptions about tube amps. I think a more knowledgeable person would've made an accurate and general comment about tube amps.
A general comment may have allowed me to learn something.

Most tube amps are out of my budget. I've done a lot of research on the B-52 112, and it is the reason why I don't have a tube amp. Reading his comment, there wasn't anything to listen to. Knowing that a B52's warm-up time is 15-20 seconds doesn't help me in the short or long term.

I'll go elsewhere.

Why go elsewhere when you are going to get the same results? You need a better amp, a tube amp would likely supply your needs. If not, a Peavey Vypyr.
Quote by Raijouta
A Vypyr 75 would be a massive upgrade from the MG, and would last you a long time.
I agree with the amp selection, but I would not get the 75 for a bedroom player.

A lot of people think that SS amps sound good when they're turned low, and that's true, except for high wattage SS amps. From my experiences, high wattage SS amps have to be turned pretty darn high for you to hear their "true" tone just like a tube amp.

Of course, you don't want to crank SS amps too loud, or you get clipping.
If I'm going to change amps, I don't believe I would want another SS/Hybrid amp. If I'm going to change I might as well get a true tube amp. I don't believe I'll be able to find something worth upgrading to within my budget. I might just wait until next summer. Then, I could get a 6505 or something.

Thanks guys.
If you look on eBay right now, there's a Peavey Ultra head for $400 and a VTM 60 head for $385, as well as a Triple XXX combo for $375.

Keep in mind all of these originally sold for alot more when they were still in production.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by hsteve3

First off. Dont ask for advice and then get pissed at the guy TRYING TO HELP YOU. Second off, the B52 AT 112 is just about the best tube amp for your genre in that budget. The ones that have reliability issues are the older models, the new ones have no such problems. DUDE.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Raijouta, should really consider the XXX on ebay or wait til I can get a 6505? I'm in no rush. By next summer, I'll be in a different living situation, loudness wouldn't be an issue.
The XXX is pretty different from the 6505. Three channels, active EQ, better cleans, EL34/6L6 switch (to choose different power tubes if you feel like it; the XXXes by default come with 6L6es, but most people say they sound miles better with EL34s) but you just might want the 6505 sound, which you won't get from an XXX. The Peavey 3120 is identical to the XXX, just in a different shell, and some come with EL34s.

I wouldn't say either is overall better or worse than the other (aside from the cleans) Don't snub the other amps I mentioned, either.

I'd go for it, though, simply because you're otherwise stuck with an MG.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D