What is the best approach to start? Should I chop one up in segments and learn it segment by segment, or try to nail the whole thing at a slower piece? Or.. is there a better way?

It's the solo to Stairway, and I don't think it should be that hard to pull off.

EDIT: Should I use reverb?
both segments and slowly

and reverb has nothing to do with learning solos, learn to play it with a completely clean signal
add effects after
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 20, 2009,
chop it into segments, practice each one slowly until you can play it up to speed. then put it together. and reverb is just to make it sound like your in a huge room. its really up to you, depends how you want it to sound
Quote by justinb904
both segments and slowly

and reverb has nothing to do with learning solos, learn to play it with a completely clean signal
add effects after

i don't know if you should learn it on clean first, cause then you might not hear excess string noise ringing out
Its good that you start with stairway, cuz jimmy did you a favour to learn it by playing it in segments already...so, master each segment one by one....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Don't just chop it into random segments - break it down into phrases, so each segment makes sense on its own. If they are still too big break them down into licks. And play it as slowly as you need to be able to play it cleanly and accurately.