I've got an Uncle in S. Korea that needs an electric guitar for a Church band. I'm not exactly sure what other requirements he has, but some general suggestions would be nice. The budget is $1500 USD including shipping to Korea so the guitar's price should probably be around $1300. Keep in mind that he's looking for a second hand guitar so that he can save some money!

Thanks!
Last edited by commandercup at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by commandercup
I've got an Uncle in S. Korea that needs an electric guitar for a Church band. I'm not exactly sure what other requirements he has, but some general suggestions would be nice. The budget is $1500 USD including shipping to Korea so the guitar's price should probably be around $1300. Keep in mind that he's looking for a second hand guitar so that he can save some money!

Thanks!

Strat of some sort?
BC Rich warlock
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
I'd rather get a MIJ shipped to me from Japan if I was in Korea . . .
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Quote by unicornfist
BC Rich warlock

Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
^I know people that play in their church bands with Ibanezes and Schecters that utilize their high-gain amps. Also saw a guy playing in a church band with an EVH Wolfgang.

Anyways, I'd say either a Strat or a Tele. Just ask your uncle which he prefers.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
im suprised no one has realized he wants to spend 1500 dollars,go used to "save money"

with 1500 dollars you can buy a brand new guitar that is really good!

with 500 dollars he could get a decent guitar
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Why dont he just buy something over there? Something like ESP Edwards maybe?
Quote by halo71
Why dont he just buy something over there? Something like ESP Edwards maybe?

Alexi Pink Sawtooth. Scalloped frets for those blistering church solos.

To be more serious, get him a strat of some kind unless he he has more specific requirements for tone. To be honest church guitar playing is not going to be particularly anything other than clean so he's probably only looking for a generic clean tone that he can get quite nicely from a strat.
^ A quality axe is a quality axe no matter where its played.
Last edited by halo71 at Sep 21, 2009,
Check into Swing guitars. They have some kickass models that only available in Korea
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by unicornfist
BC Rich warlock

dammit I wanted to say that but seriously couldn't you get a mid range schetcher(sp) cheap because they are made in korea and im sure they would have something that suits him
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Quote by Natrone
^I know people that play in their church bands with Ibanezes and Schecters that utilize their high-gain amps. Also saw a guy playing in a church band with an EVH Wolfgang.

The guitar teacher at my local store plays his huge Lynch Box at church, they make him keep it behind stage...

Quote by ApeWeevil
To be honest church guitar playing is not going to be particularly anything other than clean...

I wish they had a smiley that just looked down and shook his head in shame... Please don't talk about things you don't know about.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Sep 21, 2009,
I can't think why he wouldn't look for a guitar out there. There's plenty of quality Japanese and Korean made guitars and it would be a lot cheaper than importing one from the US.
There are a lot of guitar manufacturers in S Korea I am surprised he can't find something there for a third of that price that would perform well. I would recommend a hollow body, semi hollow body or an acoustic electric. Most church music isn't anything you really need a solid body electric for, at least any of the stuff I have seen or heard in my live.

John
Quote by biga29
I wish they had a smiley that just looked down and shook his head in shame... Please don't talk about things you don't know about.

I do know about church guitar playing. Unless Korea is massively different than guitar playing in churches in America or Britain (and i have seen one example of a church band in Korea) then all it's likely to be be is chords played with a clean tone and other instruments. I wasn't attempting to be derogatory, i'm just saying that i've only ever seen one guitarist in a church step outside that, and I've seen a lot of guitar playing in church bands.
A strat is perfect for churches because it meets the requirements for playing cleanly and still allows for lead sections to be played if necessary.
Don't call me ignorant because you disagree. I have plenty of experience with this.
Quote by ApeWeevil
I do know about church guitar playing. Unless Korea is massively different than guitar playing in churches in America or Britain (and i have seen one example of a church band in Korea) then all it's likely to be be is chords played with a clean tone and other instruments. I wasn't attempting to be derogatory, i'm just saying that i've only ever seen one guitarist in a church step outside that, and I've seen a lot of guitar playing in church bands.
A strat is perfect for churches because it meets the requirements for playing cleanly and still allows for lead sections to be played if necessary.
Don't call me ignorant because you disagree. I have plenty of experience with this.

Have you listened to much contemporary worship music in the last 10 years? The electric guitars really don't play clean a whole lot. I can give you examples if you want.

And TS, it all depends on your uncle's preference. You haven't given any info besides his price range and that he plays in church (where musical style can be widely varying).
Hey,
I've been playing contemporary worship music for quite some time and I've been around quite a few guitars and it really depends on what he's playing. If he plays rhythm mostly, a PRS, or a Gibson would do (Epiphones are really good too. Don't underestimate them). If he's playing lead guitar, a telecaster really cuts through with the highs. If he alternates between both, I find stratocasters are very flexible but I LOVE Gretsch guitars which have a very unique sound that works with anything.
But it's also very key to get good pedals. Multi-FX ones are cheaper and easier but analogue ones are good too.
Hope he finds what's best.