I need an amp that can do both jazz and metalcore, and I'm on a serious budget. I'll probably just wait til I get more money, cause right now I've just got $500 I'm not gigging yet, but (hopefully) will be before too long. No huge venues or anything, maybe outside though.

Anyway, I was looking at a few cheap tube heads (only ever used one once, so I'm not very tube-savvy but I do know they're way awesomer), and wanted to know what you guys think. I have no local music shop, and have to drive a looooong way to test out amps, so I want to do some research first, then find and test the amps I narrow it down to.

Vox ac100cph - apparently has awesome cleans but not enough gain for metal or metalcore. Could this plus a pedal cut it? And yeah I know, its 100 watts which I don't need, but its the only size they still make it in

Peavey 6505 112 - I've heard that it's "the" metalcore amp, but I've also heard its buzzy and that the cleans are iffy...

Various Bugera amps - wish I could find a store and compare them side by side... and which do you guys think would be better for both cleans and hi-gain, the V55 + pedal or vox + pedal?

Any other suggestions?
Out of the 3 you suggested, I really liked the V55 head.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
There isn't going to be anything in that range that can Jazz and metalcore easily. Your best bet is get a clean amp and get a TL2 to dirty it up. Maybe get a V55, and run the pedal through it.
I'd go with one of the Bugeras if you really want a new amp that bad.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I'd go with one of the Bugeras if you really want a new amp that bad.

Well, right now my amp is almost ten years old, beat up, 15 watts solid state, Crate, etc...

And I'm seeing a V55 trend starting... I'll check that out more (plus it's cheap )

Thanks for the quick responses, guys.
The bugera looks promising....

also try a peavey XXX. I don't think the 6505 will be able to do jazz...
If you can go used, there's a Peavey Ultra Plus head on eBay for like $400. That would by far be your best bet.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I see a lot of responses about Bugeras and Peaveys... anyone tried the Vox classic plus?
No Vox will do metalcore on its own, I can guarantee you that, aside from the VT series.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Peavey classic 30 has a nice drive for hard rock... You will need to boost it though (you want metalcore)

Its 'clean' channel is awesome for jazz/bluesy tones.
The AC50 at work gets outright nasty. Crazy metal core if boosted a bit I bet, but what I consider to be metal all on it's own. I doubt the 100 has any less gain.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Raijouta
No Vox will do metalcore on its own, I can guarantee you that, aside from the VT series.

I was wondering more about the clean channel, and would stick a distortion pedal in front of it. Have you tried their classic plus series? I haven't but they supposedly have a hi-gain channel which might be able to pull it off, probably not though