I'm interested in buying a small combo tube amp as well as one or two effects pedals. I want a smaller wattage combo amp because I don't need to be loud (not in a band) and I need to not piss off my neighbors with extremely loud noise (thinner apartment walls). I'm thinking of something in the 5 watt range (although let me know if there's not much of a difference for a 15 w or so). Again, this would be just for bedroom playing and practice.

I've also been perusing the internet and decided that I should invest some money into a couple effects pedals if I want some flexibility and better sound. So far, I've decided that I would want an overdrive pedal and a fuzz pedal (I've had a wah for several years now, so that is covered).

I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Standard as well as an American Vintage Reissue 1962 Fender Jazzmaster. I play classic rock, alternative rock, blues, grunge, and a taste for some metal. I would like something that is versatile enough to play well with both of these guitars and most of the styles I play (obviously I'm not looking for a metal amp, but I do want something that I can get some good distortion from, with or without pedals).

I've looked around at amps and found a few that may meet what I want. I'd like to know what other people out there thought of these amps and pedals and would recommend for my case.

For amps:

Bugera v5 (would really appreciate any thoughts on this one)
Peavey Valveking Royal 8 (a bit more expensive, is it worth it?)
Vox AC4TV (same thoughts as the Peavey)
Any others?

For pedals:

Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer (or a Boss Ds-1? need some advice)
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker (or the Big Muff Pi or Little Big Muff, again, need advice on which one)
Other good distortion or fuzz pedals?

I really don't want to spend more than 200-300 for the amp (that may change later, but please stick to it for now). I realize that knocks a lot of really good tube amps out of my price range, but I am not going to wait until I start my job next June to have an amp better than my Roland 15 Cube (plus I don't think that I would want a higher watt amp that I couldn't play often).

Please give me some advice for tube combo amp selection and effects pedals. Let me know if I'm even looking in the right direction at all. Thanks in advance.
For a tube combo, I'd definitely go for the AC4. I wasn't a fan of the Royal 8.
I have a tubescreamer and I love it. That or a Fulltone OCD would be a great boost.
Can't comment on a fuzz pedal.

Edit- tr3nt just put up a NAD thread for his new AC4. You might want to read the thread, PM him, and listen to the sound clip he posted.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Last edited by jc349 at Sep 20, 2009,
I'd go for the AC4, mostly because it has a power scaling feature.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
blackstar ht-5
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
AC4TV, i just watched it on youtube sounds awsome
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I have played through the Royal 8, and i have to say that i wasn't impressed. The overdrive sounded kinda harsh to me.

I recommend the blackheart little giant. It has a 3 band eq, and is switchable between 3-5 watts. The cleans and overdrive both sound great, and the 12 inch speaker gives it some thump as opposed to an 8 inch. I own one and i absolutely love it.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Last edited by slash4114 at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by joey arce
blackstar ht-5

No

Doesn't do his styles well, and is to expensive.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.