so ive been looking at this thing for an extremely long time
http://amtelectronicsusa.com/productpagess20.html

and i was wandering if i could use it in my black heart, but im terribly confused on how to do that.

i know that preamps are supposed to be used on a power amp. im planning to use my BH's power amp but, i dont know how....

do you put it infront of your signal like an OD?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
guitar-preamp-fx loop return on amp-speaker

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
guitar-preamp-fx loop return on amp-speaker

no fx loop
feel free to add me
Oh

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
It says you can run it right into your computer.

I scanned it kinda fast, not sure if it's ok in front of the amp. Sounds ballin though.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You can do it in front of the amp. Mattias IA Eklundh was doing it at one point.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If your amp has no fx loop then there is no way to use just the power amp (at least fo what I know anyway).

If you use it just in front of your amp it will work but you'll have the sound still "colored" by the Blackheart preamp stage. That would be exactly like having a Dist/OD pedal in your chain.
yes, you can use it as either an od or as a stand alone preamp
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
@jc349

man, do I have to turn any knob down when putting a preamp on fx loop? thanks
if i was you i would replace the preamp tube to a 12at-7(or maybe even a 12au-7 if you want to be drastic) and then run the preamp into the front of the amp. this way the preamp on your amp will be more transparent and lower gain so the external preamp can drive as hard as it wants and you can worry less about driving the onboard preamp too hard. but even if you left the 12ax-7 in i wouldn't worry about it, i've done it before many times, it's just that 'preasmp' style pedals sound better through amps with more transparent preamps(or through an effects loop).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^i changed my preamp tubes to 12 AT7's
ok new question.

should i go with this one or just get a distortion pedal or downgrade to a vypyr?
feel free to add me
Downgrade. Buy my Vypyr. Please? I need the $$$ for a cab so I can use my new tube head lol

Seriously though, you should go with that one. Risk of damage is minimal.
Yeah it has an ampfilier output for a reason. Then it sends a signal like any other overdrive pedal. It won't at all damage the amp. It's just like a regular OD.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
to tell truth, if i was you i would acquire a good amp with the power tubes you want for the effect you're going for. if you are using 1 el84 power tube then i would match that with an od pedal or a boost pedal, it just doesn't keep it's composure for higher preamp gains, but it sounds great if you love the power amp saturation sound.

if you are looking for a power section to go with higher gain then i would get something with el34 or 6l6 tubes in a a/b configuration for about 40 to 60 watts so that you have enough headroom to create a stable platform for that sound, but still be able to get it loud enough to drive the power section in jams/practice/gig situations. the a/b lends more punch as well. and for the money, and if you are planning on getting a preamp anyway, i would recommend a 70's or 80's music hd210, hd410, or hd212 in the 65's series. the 70's came with 6CA7's(el34's) and the 80's came with 6L6GC's, the both sound about the same to me. but the 70's come with alnico speakers and the 80's come with ceramic(if you decide to go with combo's and not a head). they handle very well, have a transparent SS preamp and a tube power section and have plenty of power. plus really sweet cleans. i ran mine with a sansamp gt-2 pedal for years and it was awesome. i got all my music mans for ~500 usd, my old roomate just picked up a hd65 head for 350 on ebay. if not a music man than something with the tubes you want either way

-ae
well to tell you the truth i cant buy an amp... and im not gonna gig too.
feel free to add me
Does that thing act like an amplifyer processer without the wattage? So it would sound like a tube amp going straight through a PA system, so you would just hook your pedals up to the preamp thing and go into the PA system and it would sound like you have an amp hooked up? Right? If thats ture then I need to get one.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Does that thing act like an amplifyer processer without the wattage? So it would sound like a tube amp going straight through a PA system, so you would just hook your pedals up to the preamp thing and go into the PA system and it would sound like you have an amp hooked up? Right? If thats ture then I need to get one.

oh you thread jacker you

feel free to add me
Quote by ethan_hanus
lol, sorry didnt mean too, but its a legit question that might help you too.

it will help me
feel free to add me
Quote by gregs1020
isn't it explained on the web page in post 1?

well i just want someone to confirm it.
im might do something bad that will break the pedal OR my amp.

WTFdit:
I just looked up the price...........its 349!!

feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
well to tell you the truth i cant buy an amp... and im not gonna gig too.

well then make do with a boost or od pedal, or just get whatever preamp you want and make it work. chances are you'll like the sound enough.

-ae
Quote by ethan_hanus

if this is the question people are waiting for then i'll try this one out.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Does that thing act like an amplifyer processer without the wattage?

no, what this pedal compares to is the preamp on a tube amp, probably with equal to an input tube and a driver tube, maybe cascaded for more gain. this provides a 'line level' signal to either the power section, or to a phase inverter tube, into the power section. so if the 'preamp' pedal is solid state than it's function just has to be equivalent to raising a passive signal into a line level signal, that is really all that is needed of a preamp. preamps are usually made to be transparent, but guitar amp preamps have become very noisy, and guitar preamp pedals usually try to capture clipped signal with a soft compression, that is what a normal driven guitar tube preamp does. so the answer is it does not act like an 'amplifier processor' it acts like a preamp, it raises the signal from passive to line level.
Quote by ethan_hanus
So it would sound like a tube amp going straight through a PA system

possibly. if you are asking "will it sound like a guitar head run line out to a PA", then the answer is yes, it will sound just like a guitar amp with a line out to a PA. but if you mean "will this sound like a stack on stage with a mic in front of it run out to PA", then the answer is no, it will sound like the former description, that is what you should expect. unless of course it is one of those preamp pedals with cabinet emulation, and that still doesn't really sound like a miked cab, it just sounds like it's trying to sound like that. running line-in mainly means your losing any effect the power amp has on signal and translation from voltage signal to audio signal(aka speakers) and the effect of the mic(good or bad).
Quote by ethan_hanus
so you would just hook your pedals up to the preamp thing and go into the PA system and it would sound like you have an amp hooked up?

depends on how your pedals work and the sound your going for. treat that preamp box's IO just like an effects loop's IO. i would go guitar, wah, boost, od, PREAMP, harmonizers, mudulation effects, reverbs and delays, amp. that is really close to how you do it with and effects loop except you'd run everything after the PREAMP in the FX LOOP.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
well then make do with a boost or od pedal, or just get whatever preamp you want and make it work. chances are you'll like the sound enough.

OK

I might just go with an R1 or a Fatal Tube insted of the SS-20
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
well i just want someone to confirm it.
im might do something bad that will break the pedal OR my amp.

WTFdit:
I just looked up the price...........its 349!!

haha
how ironic that its $349
Maybe I should buy one just because.
That would be a fun NAD thread to make.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by jc349
haha
how ironic that its $349
Maybe I should buy one just because.
That would be a fun NAD thread to make.

i h8 u nao!
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

i h8 u nao!

haha jk
I dont have money to throw away.
But then again, its not every day that you see something that has the exact numbers in its price that are in your username....

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple