hey guys

alright, so ITS MA BIRTHDAY (yayao) next week, and i want to get a good webcam and set myself up for recording and playing through a good sound system in my room.

instead of using an amp, i would rather put studio monitors in the corners of my room and run podfarm and just use that. ( my 6505 stays at band practice) and im looking into a computer to handle the recording and everything

so please:
-decent speakers (no more then $250, and atleast two of them)
i have a pod XT, guitarport,and i might buy a better recording prog. then Audacity, but is there any other components for recording? i know if i want to use vocals i would have to get something with mic inputs and everything,,,but thats later
-computer reviews, mac or PC. i can run both systems but would prefer PC simply because i already know how to run things a lot easier. i just want a webcam in it, and atleast a 15 inch screen

no need to answer all the questions for one person, just please help a little!

oh yeah, check out my band too. in the sig
THANKS!
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
I prefer Macs for recording. Garage Band, Logic, etc. are extremely easy to use.

EDIT: BTW, there's a whole forum for recording, you might get better respones there.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 20, 2009,
i was looking at the price of macs and they are really really expensive, i didnt want to spend more then 500 on a computer.

aren't their programs that let you run both OS?
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
i was looking at the price of macs and they are really really expensive, i didnt want to spend more then 500 on a computer.

Under $500 is a bit of a stretch for a recording computer. You want something that's fast if you plan to record more than a few tracks. And you're gonna want lots of space. You'll run throught the average hard drive in no time.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i paid no more than $250 for my computer and its good for recording
2.3ghz dual core amd athlon
2gb of ram
320 gb hard drive
what more could you need? other than a good sound card, but i dont use a sound card i just use my toneport :p
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
well, fl studio is probably the best music making program for PC out there, but it may be more than what you're looking for. it's a great program cause you can make drum tracks and everything, and it's very versatile. as for speakers, try something by logitech?

edit: fl studio might be a waste of money
Last edited by mashizz at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by mashizz
well, audacity is probably the best music making program for PC out there, but it may be more than what you're looking for. it's a great program cause you can make drum tracks and everything, and it's very versatile. as for speakers, try something by logitech?

Audacity??!
you want something better than that...
buy a good DAW... or you could use Reaper, which is pretty good imo
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Josher.K
Audacity??!
you want something better than that...
buy a good DAW... or you could use Reaper, which is pretty good imo

my bad, i meant fl studio. i couldn't edit it in time...
thanks guys
keep the posts coming
im considering everything you guys have said (comps, recording) im just doing a million things right now to personally consider them all,
they were read though
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by mashizz
well, fl studio is probably the best music making program for PC out there, but it may be more than what you're looking for. it's a great program cause you can make drum tracks and everything, and it's very versatile. as for speakers, try something by logitech?

edit: fl studio might be a waste of money

FL Studio? Really? I found it counter-intuitive to the extreme. What about Logic or Reason?
you could build your own comp and get close to top notch for $500...

I have a p4 2.5ghz with 2gigs ram (not that great by todays std) that I built 5 or 6 years ago that'll do 30 tracks simultaneously... the main thing is you want a min 1 gig ram for sampling progs like floops, two hard drives cause you want a system drive(for ops system and programs) and a storage drive(for wavs, samples, etc) and if you accomplish this with a partition of one drive you will drastically effect your efficiency as progs are trying to write/read from the sm drive.

The thing I'd stay away from is a graphics card that is built on the motherboard cuz if you stress the monitor plug - and folks always do this - and break a solder joint - bam - you need a new motherboard - not just a new graphics card.

I like fruity loops for writing drum riffs, but for piano/bass/sax/etc it becomes a bit of a pain compared to a staff editor you might get in cakewalk, cubase or logic. still it can record audio well enough - so I use it a lot and if I could only have one prog it'd be floops cause the overhead you utilize doing samples in battery/gigastudio/etc is a bit more intense.

afa speakers... it'd be tough to get anything decent for $250 IMO... so if that's your budget I'd get a really nice set of headphones - you'll need them anyway if you ever want to mic a gtr cab or record vocals.

afa mac or pc - macs admittedly tend to be a bit more stable for audio/graphics... but if you turn off your virus scanner while recording, and keep your computer programs lite - like i said I do 30 tracks simultaneous and no probs.

plus mac software is more expensive. plus when you upgrade a pc you can keep a lot of your periferals and just get a new motherboard/processor/ram - can't do that w a mac.

you could run windows on a mac (and not have to buy expensive mac recording software), but you'd still have to get past the hardware upgrade issues, and IMO it's not worth it.
Quote by ilovemySG

Macs are nice but not needed. I know a lot of people who setup their studios with PC and I do the same.

I suggest going to the Riffs & Recordings forum to see what everyone suggests. Also read Tweaks Guide

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-AV40-Monitor-and-Mic-Package?sku=582252

Thats a pretty decent start and under $250 for speakers and you get headphones, condensor mic and mic stand and cable. As for software that easy to use, I like cubase or nuendo. I use nuendo myself and have for years when I got it. I'd stick with PC, you're not going to get any benefit from a mac for audio recording from an $1600 mac than a $600 pc.

Heres a starter version of cubase http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Steinberg-Cubase-SE-3?sku=706531 not a bad price.

That or check out ebay like this for a cheap legit copy of cubase. http://cgi.ebay.com/Steinberg-Cubase-LE-4-Music-Production-Software_W0QQitemZ200384029352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea7d1a2a8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1082wt_861

I've tried a bunch of software, and fruit loops isn't really a recording software. Logic audio used to be good for the pc, but I think they went mac only. protools is overrated and expensive. Sonar, I can't really get the hang of. With your pod, you can use all the podfarm plugins in cubase and there tonnes of free vst plugins.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by GeToChKn at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by Led Dirigible
FL Studio? Really? I found it counter-intuitive to the extreme. What about Logic or Reason?

logic is only for mac. that's why i said best program for PC
for now, you could use your PODXT as your audio interface, send it's analog outs into some M audio AV40's, and you should be set. as for recording programs, you can get REAPER for free on PC which is top notch and can run plug ins such as POD farm and what not.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by mistermikev
afa speakers... it'd be tough to get anything decent for $250 IMO... so if that's your budget I'd get a really nice set of headphones - you'll need them anyway if you ever want to mic a gtr cab or record vocals.

that's the best advice i've seen on this thread thus far.

Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 22, 2009,
UPDATE!

my parents got me a macbook pro, 15 inch
i was shocked, like shocked
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
its my birthday
YAYYOOO
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
If you're going to go illegal, I'd download Adobe Audition, it's very good and extremely easy to get used to. You can always buy it of course.... pretty expensive though.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Reaper (free)
KRK Rokit 5's (Got mine on eBay for $150)
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch