I'm looking for a head that can emulate the tone of august burns red and between the buried and me (prog parts not grind-esque parts)- basically metalcore

my budget is $2000 minus the $529 for the avatar cab = $1471

my friend has this custom avatar G412 Vintage cab with celestion v30s in the top, and G12K100s in the bottom and I really like the sound with his ss madison.
I am drifting towards buying this cab because it is a cheaper option.

I need an amp that can give me a really tight chug response without neglecting organic highs. What I'm referring to is the vht deliverance 120 for the tight chug, and a mesa dual rec for organic highs. I play a lot of shows and I need a good reliable amp so no bugeras please.

My current rig is a marshall mg stack, tone bone british, bbe maximizer, and a korg ax3000g which has dual rec distortion (it's not bad really).

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Elitists don't rage on me bro.
ENGL of some sort
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
mesa dual rectifier

just saying since paul waggoner plays one
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Man, do you really need 4x12?
Will you play on soccer fields?
Get a good 2x12 so you can spend more in an amp and a top boost pedal.
Quote by GuitarUser
Man, do you really need 4x12?
Will you play on soccer fields?
Get a good 2x12 so you can spend more in an amp and a top boost pedal.

A 412 helps with proper bass response for the genres he plays, so yes, he needs a 412.

IMO the 5150 isn't exactly what you're looking for. Chances are you might be able to afford the amps that those bands actually used.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
do you need clean tones? if not try and Soldano Avenger. It might work for that price.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
You'll probably want some good cleans also with BTBAM. Alot of their stuff has clean parts and I can expect their new album to be like even more so from what I have heard on the internet.
So I'd throw out the 5150, maybe get a Dual Rec or Roadster. Maybe a ENGL.
to be honest, I don't like BTBAM's clean tones so much (don't flame please). I like more grainy british sounding cleans; basically, I dont need a killer clean channel.

the soldano though, I have never played one nor have I ever seen one besides on youtube or the internet. I'm just guessing that they don't have the low end response I'm looking for though (I might be wrong). Anyway, elucidate on it please.

I've played an engl, but I was playing through some crap marshall cab, so I didn't like it much.

Thanks for all the advice so far!
Baron K88 or MI60/ MII60/100 w/ an extra gain channel
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Get a 5150. People talk like the cleans are terrible but they're fine.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
you might be able to get a road king for that much
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I've considered the 6505, not so much the roadking or 5150 ($$$)
-----

What are the VHT Deliverance Head's weaknesses?
I would say that you've got the amps that you want down. If I was you, I'd either get the ENGL Powerball (I can give you the link for one that is $1300 I believe) and a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (you're on your own man)
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by grindmetalhead
I've considered the 6505, not so much the roadking or 5150 ($$$)
-----

What are the VHT Deliverance Head's weaknesses?

The 6505 and 5150 are the same amp.

The Deliverance's weakness is that it's only one channel, which means you either need to be really good at using your volume knob live, or you need a second amp for cleans.

BTBAM has traditionally used 5150s and Racktifiers on their CDs. I'd grab an older 2 Channel Recto if it were me. Or possibly go for a Titan Custom, sweet amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The 6505 and 5150 are the same amp.

The Deliverance's weakness is that it's only one channel, which means you either need to be really good at using your volume knob live, or you need a second amp for cleans.

BTBAM has traditionally used 5150s and Racktifiers on their CDs. I'd grab an older 2 Channel Recto if it were me. Or possibly go for a Titan Custom, sweet amps.

now that I'm talking to God:

triple, dual, and single all refer to the number of channels right (rectifiers)?

am I taking a gamble by buying an older mesa over ebay, or is the quality pretty consistent with time?

I've been recommended Titan, Baron, Madison (by my old roommate) and other not-well-known-custom amp companies, but I'm not sure if I want to buy an amp that doesn't have too many reviews yet. It may be cheaper and I may regret it later (like I should have gone out with her when she was still not hot kinda deal). Or it may be cheaper and I might not regret it later. Please offer me some guidance!

To Junnage: I am set on the amps I want (all of them). But I am not set on the amp that will give me my hard earned money's worth. That's why I'm looking into these other custom amp companies. I hastily tried an engl at a local shop, they definitely have an awesome mid range (great for legit metal), but I don't think that they have the in your face pounding low end sound (new metalcore) I'm looking for.
^the titan and the baron are well built great sounding amps.

check out some youtube clips
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by grindmetalhead

triple, dual, and single all refer to the number of channels right (rectifiers)?

am I taking a gamble by buying an older mesa over ebay, or is the quality pretty consistent with time?

I've been recommended Titan, Baron, Madison (by my old roommate) and other not-well-known-custom amp companies, but I'm not sure if I want to buy an amp that doesn't have too many reviews yet. It may be cheaper and I may regret it later (like I should have gone out with her when she was still not hot kinda deal). Or it may be cheaper and I might not regret it later. Please offer me some guidance!

To Junnage: I am set on the amps I want (all of them). But I am not set on the amp that will give me my hard earned money's worth. That's why I'm looking into these other custom amp companies. I hastily tried an engl at a local shop, they definitely have an awesome mid range (great for legit metal), but I don't think that they have the in your face pounding low end sound (new metalcore) I'm looking for.

Alright, I can clear up some of your issues.

Older mesas are generally considered to be better.

The Triple, Dual and Single Rectifiers is referring to the number of rectifier tubes that are being used. 3x5U4's in a Triple Rectifier, 2x5U4 in a Dual, etc.

Anyway, newer Rectifiers have more channels, but there seems to be a general consensus that these models are a let down in comparison to their predecessors.

I would suggest to trust one out. And that's good to know (about the ENGL). Then I'd suggest a Mesa. They are known for being bassy. Which ENGL did you try, btw?

Also, the Titan is awesome.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
thanks brah that did help a lot

I have no idea what engl I tried.

I can't find anything on titan AMPS, I could find titan speakers though.

thanks again!
Last edited by grindmetalhead at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by grindmetalhead

Single, Dual and Triple refers to the number of Rectifier tubes in the amp, as well as the wattage, I suppose you could say. Single=50W, 2 channels - Dual=100W, 3 channels - Triple=150W, 3 channels.

Older 2 channel dual/triple rectos are well regarded as better sounding than the newer 3 channel ones. Mesas are built like tanks, it's rare to see a faulty one.

I wouldn't really suggest Madison, they sound good, but they use really cheap components and I'd be afraid of it breaking down on me. If you can get one really cheap and have a tech go through it and replace some parts with higher quality ones, then it might be a good option.

Titan offers LIFETIME warranties on everything but tubes and transformers. Very hard to find a company that will stand behind their product like that, at the price Zach charges for his amps.

Quote by grindmetalhead
thanks brah that did help a lot

I have no idea what engl I tried.

I can't find anything on titan AMPS, I could find titan speakers though.

thanks again!

http://www.myspace.com/titanamps

http://www.maplifiers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=87c3215a83fc150339a3a54cbf83e444
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Single, Dual and Triple refers to the number of Rectifier tubes in the amp, as well as the wattage, I suppose you could say. Single=50W, 2 channels - Dual=100W, 3 channels - Triple=150W, 3 channels.

Older 2 channel dual/triple rectos are well regarded as better sounding than the newer 3 channel ones. Mesas are built like tanks, it's rare to see a faulty one.

I wouldn't really suggest Madison, they sound good, but they use really cheap components and I'd be afraid of it breaking down on me. If you can get one really cheap and have a tech go through it and replace some parts with higher quality ones, then it might be a good option.

Titan offers LIFETIME warranties on everything but tubes and transformers. Very hard to find a company that will stand behind their product like that, at the price Zach charges for his amps.

http://www.myspace.com/titanamps

http://www.maplifiers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=87c3215a83fc150339a3a54cbf83e444

i heard madison use DUCT TAPE to hold the amp component together
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
splawn nitro its a little out of ur price range tho if u buy the cab
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by grindmetalhead
now that I'm talking to God

MC, you gotta sig that!

TS: I'd have thought that the Dual Recto will serve you well to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.