hey i was wondering about a good distortion pedal that can sound anywhere from joe satriani's tone to dave mustaine's. it should be clear, as in you can hear every note.
MI Audio Crunch Box.

But understand pedals dont make miracles.
Both Joe Satriani's and Dave Mustaine's distortions comes from tube amps.
If your amp is ****ty the pedal will sound ****ty.
just get a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal or Super Distortion Pedal. each has a LOT of satisfying crunch. you can't go wrong.
Yeah, I would worry more about the amp. I've been looking for a pedal, but am waiting till I upgrade my amp before I think about it.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
The Barber Dirty Bomb > the Crunch Box. It's incredibly versatile.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by GuitarUser
MI Audio Crunch Box.

But understand pedals dont make miracles.
Both Joe Satriani's and Dave Mustaine's distortions comes from tube amps.
If your amp is ****ty the pedal will sound ****ty.

??? The crunch box will get you nowhere near Satriani's tone. Or Mustaine's for that mattter, wayyy to marshally. Id have to recommend a Wampler Super Plextortion

EDIT: ^ Does the dirty bomb really have enough gain on tap? from my experience with it, it definitely does not.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Quote by Austin_Scharosc
??? The crunch box will get you nowhere near Satriani's tone. Or Mustaine's for that mattter, wayyy to marshally. Id have to recommend a Wampler Super Plextortion

EDIT: ^ Does the dirty bomb really have enough gain on tap? from my experience with it, it definitely does not.

Plexy is mesa? fender? no, its marshall man :P
he will get marshally anyway
hehe I just said crunch box cuz its very versatile..
Last edited by GuitarUser at Sep 20, 2009,
ok thanks for the help
can you guys recommend any good, but cheap, tube combo amps
Willing to go used?
Budget?
Band or practice?
Gigging or no?
Squier VM Jazzmaster
Superfuzz/ RAT/ OCD /DE7/ Spring Chicken/ DL-4
Vox AC15C1/ Ampeg Jet 12T/ Guitar Rig
Quote by Austin_Scharosc

Satriani is currently using the Marshall JVM410H with Chickenfoot, and it appears he will be using it a lot in the future.

Dave Mustaine also uses the Marshall JVM410H with Megadeth. He's been a Marshall user, I believe through all of his career.

Marty Friedman told me personally that Rust in Peace (my favorite Megadeth album) was recorded on guitars plugged straight into Marshall 100 watt heads.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
would you guys recommend the Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 120W 2x12 Guitar Tube Amp?
most expensive hand built pedal you can get
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by mzar54
would you guys recommend the Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 120W 2x12 Guitar Tube Amp?

The 60 should be big enough for any gig...

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Vypyrs are good...I used to have one but then it broke on me

I was doing light gigging / band practice at the time but...when it broke I'd just been transporting it in the car and it was ****ed...wouldn't power on - and I know theres a lot of similar stories like this

End point is...yeah theyre good amps for a beginner / intermediate and can be great for experimenting with different tones / effects so you know what to get in the future...but theyre really just for that...not gigging
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
If you're getting a tube amp I don't see why you wouldn't get something nice
I mean, the tube vyper might be better than it's SS brethren which I really didn't like. But is it worth blowing your cash on something that's just allright? Get a versatile amp but something that's good at what you want rather than something that's allright at a bunch of stuff?
Just my opinion of course.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

TC Electronics Nova Drive
Tech 21 SansAmp GT2
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I'd recommend picking up a used xxx 112 combo- either the 60w or the 40w. Both very giggable and satch used xxxs for a while on tour.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
ya i think about last year i bought this peavey trans tube amp but it sucked ass cuz i thought it was a tube amp... but it wasnt

o sorry ya i just copied and pasted the amp name off of guitar center website i meant to say the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 60W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp
well thanks i guess ill look into that one cuz im only going light for the while so this amp should last me until i can properly play MAB's No Boundaries(which will take quite a while)
o ya and i forgot:
crappy guitar + good amp?
or
good guitar + piece of **** amp?
crappy guitar + good amp. But make sure the crappy guitar still feels right for you. Look used for amps you can find some bargins on CL & eBay and pawn shops and stuff.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Junnage
Satriani is currently using the Marshall JVM410H with Chickenfoot, and it appears he will be using it a lot in the future.

Dave Mustaine also uses the Marshall JVM410H with Megadeth. He's been a Marshall user, I believe through all of his career.

Marty Friedman told me personally that Rust in Peace (my favorite Megadeth album) was recorded on guitars plugged straight into Marshall 100 watt heads.
He actually used a custom Line 6 Amp for United Abominations.
I have a Frontman 15G amp, and I'm looking for a distortion (or overdrive, not sure about the difference) pedal that would be the best for playing indie rock (more specifically post-punk and garage rock revival - Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, The Hives, The Strokes, The White Stripes etc.), but also more classic rock, like Clapton, Cream, Mountain, Foghat, Poison, etc., and also RHCP and a song or two by RATM . So some of the models I've seen were Boss DS-1 and DS-2, then Digitech Distortion Factory DF-7 (along with a lot of other Digitech distortion pedals), and a lot of other models. So, what do you recommend?
Quote by Arctic Primate
I have a Frontman 15G amp, and I'm looking for a distortion (or overdrive, not sure about the difference) pedal that would be the best for playing indie rock (more specifically post-punk and garage rock revival - Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, The Hives, The Strokes, The White Stripes etc.), but also more classic rock, like Clapton, Cream, Mountain, Foghat, Poison, etc., and also RHCP and a song or two by RATM . So some of the models I've seen were Boss DS-1 and DS-2, then Digitech Distortion Factory DF-7 (along with a lot of other Digitech distortion pedals), and a lot of other models. So, what do you recommend?

I would save your money and buy a better amp. If that isn't an option, go to a music store and try a few pedals with a frontman. The ones you named are pretty popular, but nothing will make your amp sound much like the bands you listed, let your ear be the judge.
Quote by Chetbango
I would save your money and buy a better amp. If that isn't an option, go to a music store and try a few pedals with a frontman. The ones you named are pretty popular, but nothing will make your amp sound much like the bands you listed, let your ear be the judge.

Well, since a new, good amp would cost me about five times as much as a distortion pedal, I think I'll first buy a pedal. So, what's the one that would fit the stuff I play the best, without a good amp (counting I will buy one later)?
By the way, the choice is not just between the ones I mentioned, but say anything you think would be the best.
I've got the Jekyll and Hyde pedal which combine distortion on one side and overdrive on the other. It's pretty versatile and sounds decent to my poorly trained ear ;-)
Quote by Cannibal Corpse
Why not get a decent EQ pedal instead, & then you can get near enough loads of tones. I'm not going to reccomend an distortion pedal as I don't use or like them. Just get a decent amp with enough distortion & a EQ.

Well the distortion on my amp is OK for me, but the problem is that it doesn't have a footswitch option, so I can't turn my distortion on/off in the middle of the song. And even if I get an amp like that, I would still need a pedal for the amps in the places I play at, which don't have footswitches either.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
He actually used a custom Line 6 Amp for United Abominations.

Aww crap. Forgot about that. Otherwise, he's used Marshalls
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
I use a Danelectro Fab Distortion, but its through an old Peavey Vintage tube amp, so that helps a lot. It gives a really old skool Hives-esq tone, or team it up with a Big Muff and you get some awesome retro sound a la Cream.
If you want a garagey sound I'd agree with the other and invest in something like a Fender Twin, preferably with some reverb as well, should give you exactly what you're looking for, and they look HOT too!
Quote by Junnage
Aww crap. Forgot about that. Otherwise, he's used Marshalls

Forgot about the Bogner Fish/CAE 3+ setup into VHT 2150 he used in the 90s.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Arctic Primate
Well, since a new, good amp would cost me about five times as much as a distortion pedal, I think I'll first buy a pedal. So, what's the one that would fit the stuff I play the best, without a good amp (counting I will buy one later)?
By the way, the choice is not just between the ones I mentioned, but say anything you think would be the best.

A good distortion pedal cost a lot too (When I say good, it excludes Boss and digitech).
Anyway, if you want a good budget dist. get the crunch box by MI audio
Just get an Axe FX Ultra and you'll have every amp you'll ever want.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.