Hello,

I was just wondering what people mean when they say something like "the neck has a quick response." What is "response"?

Thanks
tbh, i've never herd that

i would assume it has something to do with how easy it is to move up and down the neck quickly
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 20, 2009,
i think what you might mean is action. action is how close the strings are to the fretboard (fast/low action is closer, slow/high is farther away). so a fast response would mean the neck has a low action.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I always thought response just meant "feel", and wasn't measured in terms of "quick" or "slow"
It's not a common term. Traditionally, the 'response' of an instrument was how well it picked up on subtle changes in playing style, such as picking force, subtle vertical vibrato vs subtle horizontal vibrato, etc. It could also be applied to simply how well vibrations resonate through the neck; on some guitars you can play a full chord and barely feel anything on the back of the neck, on other guitars you can lightly brish a string with your finger and feel the vibration all the way through the neck.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks for the replies.

I was just reading about body tonewoods on Taylor's website, and in describing one wood (cocobolo), they write: "Fast and responsive, with moderate note decay, it’s articulate with lots of note distinction." I can understand "responsive," as in the wood better reflects subtleties in attack, but what in god's name does "fast" mean? It apparently doesn't refer to note decay, since that is described separately, and it can't have anything to do with action or the neck since they're just talking about the wood of the body.

Any thoughts?
Well first thing, 'tonewood' is a term used for acoustics, it doesn't apply to solid body guitars. But that's just a little thing.

As far as 'fast' goes, I would assume it meant the same as note attack and decay. But yeah, they already mentioned that seperately, so God-knows what they're trying to imply.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.