I own an ESP LTD F-50 guitar with a Fender Frontman 15 amp. I can't seem to get any sort of distortion out of it that i find really hits the spot. They all seem to come out messy and without any sort of real chunky tone that is what makes metal riffs sound great. I'm certain the problem is in the way I have everything set up. I'm asking if anyone has any suggestion as to a basic metal tone setup involving Gain, EQ's, Volume, and what pickup/s to use.

Thanks for answering the nooby question

In short: Looking for chunky riffing tone.
you'll need a new amp, the frontman just doesn't handle distortion very well
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I have the same amp along with my Epiphone SG G-400 (my practice setup). For most general purposes I put the bass and treble at 10, with the mids somewhere around 5 to 8. Gain cranked all the way of course. :P I'm not sure about what tones you can get out of your guitar, but for me i find the the bridge pickup works well for lead and both humbuckers engaged kicks out a decent rhythm tone. Just mess with your tone knobs until you find something you like. Sometimes I add in some chorus or flange for variety too. Not sure what kind of tones your guitar gets but that's what works for me, hope it helps.
metal tone is all about cranking dat amp. low volumes just not gonna do it. get a distortion pedal, crank every dial to the max, and that's the cheapest metal tone you can get (assuming you have money problems based on the gear you have)
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
metal tone is all about cranking dat amp. low volumes just not gonna do it. get a distortion pedal, crank every dial to the max, and that's the cheapest metal tone you can get (assuming you have money problems based on the gear you have)

It will sound worse cranked because of SS clipping. Don't "crank dat amp".
Also, a pedal won't solve problems.
Since its a practice amp, I can see it sounding worse with a distortion pedal.
Your best route is to save for a better amp.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349

Your best route is to save for a better amp.

he's right. you should get a mesa boogie dual rec with matching 4x12's and ESP M II. that's a great solution to your problem.

because saving for a better amp will give you really good metal tone
It's all about feel
Quote by RChandlerUG
I'm asking if anyone has any suggestion as to a basic metal tone setup involving Gain, EQ's, Volume, and what pickup/s to use.

p.s. low mids, high bass + treble, bridge pickup
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
he's right. you should get a mesa boogie dual rec with matching 4x12's and ESP M II. that's a great solution to your problem.

because saving for a better amp will give you really good metal tone

Yea it will?

alot better tone

tone comes from your amp,about 90 percent of it and some amps handle distortion WAY better than others

a frontman is not a "metal" amp and does not handle distortion very well
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Quote by hopespaul

Wow, misguided information and cracking on the dude's gear.
Crank "dat amp" he has and see how quick every dog in the neighborhood goes nuts!

In TS's case its like driving a Yugo and wondering why it does not perform like a Ferrari. He is just not gonna get a killer tone with than amp. He needs a better amp period. Hell now you have me cracking on his gear.
Last edited by halo71 at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by williamdllr
Yea it will?

alot better tone

tone comes from your amp,about 90 percent of it and some amps handle distortion WAY better than others

a frontman is not a "metal" amp and does not handle distortion very well

learn the difference between tube and solid state amps and how they work, then give a suggestion.

buy a better practice amp, i personally reccomend the peavey vyper, best practice amp i can think of.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

well he never really stated whether he was going to get a ampmuch less ss or tube...

ive learned quite a bit but i thought that guy was being really sarcastic and pretty much saying your amp doesnt give you a good tone
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by williamdllr
well he never really stated whether he was going to get a ampmuch less ss or tube...

ive learned quite a bit but i thought that guy was being really sarcastic and pretty much saying your amp doesnt give you a good tone

well frontmans aren't exactly known for their amazing tones......
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

yea i know man,thats what i was saying lol.sorry if my op was misleading
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by RChandlerUG
I'm asking if anyone has any suggestion as to a basic metal tone setup involving Gain, EQ's, Volume, and what pickup/s to use.

to all you "get a new amp" pplz, you should read the OP question one more time. maybe a couple more times.
It's all about feel
Well I kinda think the general consensus is that none of that stuff is gonna help him out with that amp.....may just be my assumption though.
yah it's annoying. it's like taking your car to a mechanic and him insisting you buy a new car
It's all about feel
I hear ya, but my earlier Yugo/Ferrari comparison holds true. You can dip a turd in molten gold and it'll still be a turd.

EDIT: Well assuming it don't like burn up or turn to charcoal or something like that. You get my point though.
Last edited by halo71 at Sep 21, 2009,
Haha new amp time it seems I don't even use my amp anymore... my also garbage cheap digitech rp50 multieffects pedal gives better tone through some of it's amp modeling features.

It makes sense, I've had this gear since I started, so it's only natural to have to upgrade to mee current needs. Thanks to everyone!