I've Learned on the internet and Jamming with many many people, one of the observations i've made is, the net offers many theory about music and guitar, but it doesn't give you the growth formula.

I've learned the major scales formula, how chords are constructed, musical intervals, pentatonic scales, blues scales and other scales, modes, arpegggios, CAGED Formula, how to transpose and figure out songs by ear, writing, creating, progressions, creating musical bridges, open,minors, 7th, 6th minor 7th etc etc.

But i cannot determine what i'm supposed to learn now, Atleast in school there's a learning process, but on the internet you just bite pieces of information and try to make sense of everything.

Whats your view on this? AND PLEASE POST YOUR FAVORITE GUITAR THEORY WEBSITE, I'M DESPERATELY SEEKING A GUITAR SITE WHERE I CAN STUDY MORE.

THANK YOU ALL.

Chearsy.
At this point i think it is just a matter of what you want to learn. The learning process for each individual is different. The internet is a good resource but it isn't a teacher.

If I might suggest something, try taking a break from theory and just learn songs you like and work on technique for a while before coming back to theory. By then, hopefully you wil have a better idea of where you want to go.

moral of the story: the internet can't tell you what you need to learn
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 21, 2009,
That's because, in my opinion, implying there's a strict progression of what a musician NEEDS to know is wrong. (This is true for most subjects, really)
The Internet is on a do-whatever-you-want-as-long-as-it-works-for-you basis, and for some people it doesn't, they need that idea of a strict curriculum.
Rubys.
We could change the world if we had the source code.
Quote by Rubys
That's because, in my opinion, implying there's a strict progression of what a musician NEEDS to know is wrong. (This is true for most subjects, really)
The Internet is on a do-whatever-you-want-as-long-as-it-works-for-you basis, and for some people it doesn't, they need that idea of a strict curriculum.

I think strict curriculum is important for musical growth, thats probably why many get stucked wondering what to learn next to break this rut.
Thats where having a teacher is handy - but in lieu of that, have you had a look through the music theory FAQ sticky to see if there is anything in there you haven't done that looks interesting?
As for the strict curriculum thing, I don't think it is useful for music past the basics. You need to understand diatonic scales, chord formation and basic timing, but beyond that, it's whatever you want.

My favorite site to learn about music and guitar is this website none of you have probably heard of. www.ultimate-guitar.com
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Learn how to actually use all the stuff in your first post, that's the whole point of it anyway...no point learning it just for the sake of learning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Learn how to actually use all the stuff in your first post, that's the whole point of it anyway...no point learning it just for the sake of learning.

+1

i've also seen people "learn" music theory (as in sit down and read it and understand the basic concepts it teaches) but have no idea how to apply it. as for "musical growth steps" i'd say you shouldn't need someone to say "what can't you do?..... ok, now pick one of those and work on it if you think you'll want to use it"
Quote by Rubys

The problem with that is that it becomes difficult to determine direction. Some people require direction. Others don't.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by justinb904
The internet is a good resource but it isn't a teacher

What a perfect summation! There is no substitute for a good teacher, they can give you direction when you are lost and help you develop in the way you want to. There are very few things that you 'need' learn as a musician, but plenty of things that are useful to know or help you develop creatively. They'll only help though if they are relevant to you, which is why a good teacher will point you at the things which are relevant to you specifically rather than random titbits of information and bizarre long-dead techniques and theory.
Quote by chearsy

But i cannot determine what i'm supposed to learn now, Atleast in school there's a learning process, but on the internet you just bite pieces of information and try to make sense of everything.

Why don't you try books then? They are organized well in a step by step format. I think it's better if you come here asking for book recommendations.

By reading your post, I think you're asking for a good website with organized lessons.
Most of the free sites offer you bits of information from here and there to get you buy there stuff. So, if that's what you want, as I've heard some of the pay-sites are pretty good, like Jamorama. But I can't recommend any because I haven't tried any of them.
Last edited by YA89 at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by chearsy
But i cannot determine what i'm supposed to learn now,

I'm gunna list 10 elements of music. Music theory fits in ONE of these

Groove
Notes
Articulation
Technique
Emotion/Feel
Dynamics
Rhythm/Tempo
Tone
Phrasing
Space/Rest
Listening

Pick one of those and learn/practice all you can about it. There's A LOT to learn

*E-Cookie who gets where this stuff is from*
Quote by Ssargentslayer
I'm gunna list 10 elements of music. Music theory fits in ONE of these

Groove
Notes
Articulation
Technique
Emotion/Feel
Dynamics
Rhythm/Tempo
Tone
Phrasing
Space/Rest
Listening

Pick one of those and learn/practice all you can about it. There's A LOT to learn

*E-Cookie who gets where this stuff is from*

Its from some Victor Wooten thing.