What kind of humbucker does Fender put in there MIM Hss strats. I heard yhey are weak and should be replace with a sycmore duncan or something. a friend has a strat with a duncun in it and it sound great, when I play the guitar in the store with the stock PU it sound thin and tinny.
Quote by Mrod44
What kind of humbucker does Fender put in there MIM Hss strats. I heard yhey are weak and should be replace with a sycmore duncan or something. a friend has a strat with a duncun in it and it sound great, when I play the guitar in the store with the stock PU it sound thin and tinny.

By weak you probably mean low output, and yes fender pickups are low output. They are intended to be used in blues and classic rock mostly so high output isn't a requirement. If you are looking for a pickup that can take a lot of distortion then both Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan make some great pickups. Some are high output, some medium and some are as low as the fender stock ones. But they all will be better quality and will sound better.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
I have a fender strat. it's got three pickups they're seymour duncan's, i don't know what kind though. i was recently putting some thought into putting different pick ups on it.
Zmatt, do you think that will change my tone much? or is there not a huge difference from one pick up to the next if i already have duncan's?
They make many different pickups and some are wildly different. However many people will tell you that the majority of your tone comes form your amp. i took my SSS strat to a mesa dual rectifier and it sounded amazing. Most people would not have known it was a strat. To be fair I did mess with the settings a lot.

What amp do you have now? What music do you play? And how well does your setup achieve that in your opinion? If you have a strat with seymour duncans then it has been modified as I don't known any fenders that use third party pickups. And although it is unlikely, whoever did the pup swap may not have changed that pots, which could be limiting you, as you should match up pot to the pickups to get the right sound out of them.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Three posts in and there's already so much misinformation...

The humbuckers that normal MIM Fender HSS Strats use is a generic, I believe ceramic-based, mid-output humbucker that's wound to match the two ceramic singlecoil pickups. It's not a great pickup but then again neither are the singlecoil pickups used in MIM's, that's why they made the Deluxe range which mostly come with better pickups.

Whether you should change it or not depends entirely on your playing style, your amp and how you like to use your guitar's controls. Just because one person makes it sound good with one amp set up one particular way, doesn't mean it will sound good through a different amp set up a different way. your amp makes up far more of your tone than your guitar does, and your pickups especially are very insignificant. Humbuckers sound different to singlecoils which in turn sound different to P-90s and active pickups sound different to passive pickups of course, but in terms of changing from one Fender mid-output ceramic humbucker to, for example, a Seymour Duncan high-output Alnico V humbucker, you won't notice any difference really, especially if you play with much distortion.

Really, pickups should only be changed to increase clarity or change output. Whether you need to alter either of these aspects depends on your amp and playing style, so unless you give us more information on how you play and what you play with, nobody can tell you whether you need to upgrade pickups, let alone what type of pickup to change to.

Also remember that the best way to find out if something will suit you or not is of course to just go and play it. Play the guitar through your normal amp at the settings you usually use (or if you can't do that, play it through an amp as similar to yours as possible) and see how you like it. If it all sounds fine, nothing needs doing to it. If it doesn't sound good, consider changing your amp, pedals or playstyle first before you consider altering the guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i do most of my playing through a cheap ass fender frontman 15 watt practice amp. i'm actually fairly pleased with my tone, as long as the amp stays on below 5. i was just putting some thought into it though because i don't know too much about pick ups and from my bridge pick up the tone (unless i suck out all the tone, either with a pedal, or by turning the pots to like 1) is just so ****ing bright and twangy on clean, it just sounds ****ty. i mean i know that twang is like the "classic" Fender sound. but like i said, if i don't turn the tone way down, and put on some effects it's horrible. and i figured it maybe a result of cheap electronics.
Last edited by KurdtStaley at Sep 21, 2009,
then you're never going to need to change pickups until you get a better amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com