Hey, the other day I got an Epiphone SG G-400 used for just $220, including a case. It's amazing so far, except for a couple things.

1- gets muddy with any distortion. I think this is my amp (****-tacular 15-watt that came with my Squier), so probably not guitar-related. But I'm no expert.
2- The tone knobs seem to do very little to the overall tone, with or without distortion. The volume knobs seems to be the only ones that do anything.

Anyone else experience this, or have solutions/explanations to offer?
I don't know whether to be joyous or sorrowful after hearing that lol...

Nothing wrong with the guitar, but I have to get a new amp. Daaayyyyyyummm.

Whatever, I've been thinking of upgrading for a while. Anyone have a suggestion? I don't need loud, I want something small and portable that has good sound quality. Preferably pretty cheap too.
Yes, this is all your amp. I play my Epiphone G-400 live and I pretty much don't touch my amp setting (other than volume) through the whole show and I get sooooo many different tones out of it it's really incredible. Just learn to use the pickup selector and volume knobs as well as the tone knob. I switch pickups usually at least onece a song, and I am constantly adjusting my tone knobs and volume knobs. My setup is the stock guitar through a crate half too. Check out our myspace page if you want to get an idea of the variety I am talking about.
www.myspace.com/apenatural (no, this is not promoting my band, I am just trying to give him an example of how many different tones you van get out of this guitar).
Last edited by Ape_Natural at Sep 21, 2009,
sick, thanks for the info. I've been looking around to see the kinds of tones I can get out of this.

any amp suggestions?
Last edited by Insaneguy75 at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by Insaneguy75
Hey, the other day I got an Epiphone SG G-400 used for just $220, including a case. It's amazing so far, except for a couple things.

1- gets muddy with any distortion. I think this is my amp (****-tacular 15-watt that came with my Squier), so probably not guitar-related. But I'm no expert.
2- The tone knobs seem to do very little to the overall tone, with or without distortion. The volume knobs seems to be the only ones that do anything.

Anyone else experience this, or have solutions/explanations to offer?

Don't tone knobs make it sound more brighter? On my Epi LP it does.
Quote by FCurimao

the epic fail that is my amp makes it hard to tell, tbh. But I think that the general idea is that the tone knobs enhance the current setting or whatever, so giving you heavier gain if you're going distorted and brighter sounds if you're not.
Yeah, I would check out the dream, all the lead parts are done without switching my amp settings at all (until the metal part) but you can see how drastic the tonal changes are. I think that will give you a decent idea of what you can do. Also the song take my hand, the distorted chorus section and solo sections are just done by rolling my tone knob up and down and you can see the tonal changes there too. My amp is rediculously trebly though, I don;t really like it.

EDIT:A good small sized amp for practicing, I would recommend wither the roland Cube of those little Vox AD15VT or something like that, both amps are very good and fairly cheap.

DOUBLE EDIT (to avoid double posting): ^^^ What the tone knobs do is control the treble of your tone, as you roll back on your tone it rounds off your treble and gives it a more warm thick sound. The higher your tone is, the more trebly and cutting your tone will be, it also seems louder becuase it cuts through more.
Last edited by Ape_Natural at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by Ape_Natural
Yeah, I would check out the dream, all the lead parts are done without switching my amp settings at all (until the metal part) but you can see how drastic the tonal changes are. I think that will give you a decent idea of what you can do. Also the song take my hand, the distorted chorus section and solo sections are just done by rolling my tone knob up and down and you can see the tonal changes there too. My amp is rediculously trebly though, I don;t really like it.

hell of a lot better than my amp lol... But yeah, this is a pretty sick guitar, especially for its price. I'd love to get a better amp to go with it.

SUGGESTIONS, GOGO

EDIT: Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

EDIT 2: I see a Line 6 Spider II 15 for sale for $50 on Kijiji. Is this a good amp?
^ no. spiders are digital sounding. like what ape said, look at roland cube and vox valvetronix.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by FCurimao
Tone knobs don't make the tone brighter, they can only take away brightness. In fact just having a tone knob at all (even if you leave it at 10) curves off some of the higher frequencies.

Anyway, it is indeed all in your amp.

In terms of upgrading your amp, we need to know your budget and what style of music you play, as well as how you play. No point people taking wild guesses and suggesting amps with enough natural distortion for heavy metal if you like to play jazz with a completely clean tone and lots of effects, for example. We need details before useful suggestions can be made.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
they're both expensive... T.T

(Yes, $100 or so to me is expensive lol)

Between the two I think I'd prefer AD15VT.

EDIT:

I play all sorts of stuff. Metal and Hard Rock (Metallica, Coheed and Cambria. AC/DC, etc), Classic Rock (Eagles, Led Zeppelin, etc), Punk and Modern Rock (Foo Fighters, Green Day, etc) as well as the occasional Acoustic (Matthew Good, Eric Clapton, etc). Yeah. So pretty much need the most versatile amp I can get lol.

Budget? $100 at the most, I guess.
The Vox should be able to be found used for that low of pirces. Just look on craigslist. I picked up a 450 watt 2x10 bass combo for $100 the other day. Just look and you may find something good.
I hear that the peavey vypr 30 is much preferable, and it's only like 100 more, should I just save for it?
Quote by Insaneguy75
I hear that the peavey vypr 30 is much preferable, and it's only like 100 more, should I just save for it?

I have the vypyr 30 and I love it it has more effects, sounds less boxy because of bigger speaker, and IMO its more reliable. I say save for the 30w if you have the time.