Page 1 of 3
Christmas is around the corner and I want to buy a pedal for my girlfriend. She doesn't own ANY pedals right now, because they're really expensive. Which is a shame, because she's absolutely wicked at guitar.

Her favorite band is Opeth. Other bands she likes (ripped from her MySpace): Apocalyptica, Slipknot, Mr. Jarzombek, Parkway Drive, The Children of Bodom, System of a Down, Black Label Society, Dethklok, Cannibal Corpse, Alice in Chains, The Lamb of God, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, Job for a Cowboy, KoRn, Deftones, Static X, Stone Sour, Mudvayne, and Staind

Thanks so much!

hv
Boss Metalcore
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
Well does she have a Gain channel on her amplifier that seems to sound good?
Do you remember her amplifier by any chance?

EDIT: If the Brand BOSS is even mentioned when refering to Metal distortion boxes without some form of modifications done I am going to ****ing kill someone.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Sep 21, 2009,
I know she has distortion on her amplifier, and I know that she "does not have a tubehead or a cabinet." Her guitar is a Schecter "Hot Rod 39"

*Edit: Why the hate for Boss products?
Last edited by hvsahin at Sep 21, 2009,
boss pedals are alright, not crappy. i have a metal zone (cousin didn't use it much and gave it to me), and it works fine for me, but i'm not gonna recommend that you buy one because you could probably find better.

all i wanted to say was that you have an awesome (or imaginary/exaggerated) girlfriend
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Boss makes ok pedals. They are rugged as hell. If she has a good drive channel, I'd suggest an Ibanez TubeScreamer, T808 if you can afford it. Not so much with the Metal Zone. It's way to noisy.

-g13
Her guitar amplfier Isn't tube based.
Using a Tubescreamer into a Solid State amplifier would sound horrible.

What is your budget?
I'm a fan of Opeth in particular out of those myself.
Only their acoustic peices and the album Deliverance though honestly.

I know the effects that a lot of those bands use so I would be all the willing to help you in your search.

EDIT: The Metalzone has no Bass Responce making tones shrill and the Metalcore distortion made me cry. The tones coaxing out of those distortions is horrid to my ears.

Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Well, if you want a distortion for her, I'd say have a look into the Blackstar HT-DistX, it's a bloody fantastic pedal. You could also look into someting like a wah (in wich case, I'd suggest either the Zakk Wylde Crybaby, or Tremonti Wah by Morley), or a Whammy (there's only Digitech that make these), or you could try something with an amusing name.
+1 to the Blackstar HT-distx

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
man are you worried 'bout losing your girl?
I hadnt thought about christmas 'till now.
Quote by GuitarUser

Downer

Good point has been made though.
Buy it last minute if you can
hey man, how much you lookin' to spend? because pedals can get really great, and expensive, really fast. also, find out exactly wha amp she plays through. and a metal guitar playing girlfriend? can she be my girlfriend too?

jk, my wife would not like that too much.

on a side note...
BTD, have you grown a pair of ears!!!

TS, do you ever show up to her band practice and ask her over and over again if she's ready to go, even though you just got there, and do you tell her that she never spends enough time with you, that she's always with her band, and have you suggested that maybe she and you could start a band, even though you can't play anything and your voice sucks, and is your name Yoko?
Are you insulting my choises in tone Griskey?
I am not the only one who thinks that Boss makes horrible gain pedals for metal.
Infact... I beleive it is something most people should know within 5 minutes after they plug into one.
Nick, the tubescreamer referances were torwards boosting the Gain channel of a solid state.
Causeing harsh clipping that would be unpleasant.

I have tried out the Metalzone and I personally thought it didn't have nearly enough bass for my tastes and I spent a damn good amount of time with it.

I'm not generalizing Boss pedals!
I own 3 at the moment
Besides those that offered the "Not a Boss MetalZone/Core" option. The best distortion pedal I've run through is the ElectroHarmonix Metal Muff with Boost. This is the best Metal voiced pedal. The Gain sweep on it is good enough that you could do some real raunchy blues with it dialed back. The mid range on it sweeps through a nice range of low end Doom/Death Metal, to the high end Chainsaw Boss metal distortion side. Then you have the Top Boost which is like a lead boost and will give you some extra top and volume for leads. can't beat it and It's like 99 or 109 I believe so totally worth it.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
+1 to the Blackstar Dist-X, Wah or Digitech Whammy. A Mesa V-Twin would be pretty good, but those things are heaps expensive.
BTD, relax man, just a joke.

...and as it turns out, Boss DOES make the best metal distortion pedal!!!

well, I mean, they do sort of put most of the parts together before Robert Keeley fixes it, but they kinda' help make it.
Quote by GrisKy
BTD, relax man, just a joke.

...and as it turns out, Boss DOES make the best metal distortion pedal!!!

well, I mean, they do sort of put most of the parts together before Robert Keeley fixes it, but they kinda' help make it.

I was just asking a question from you.

Nick on the other hand basicly just took everything I said and called me an idiot which made me feel like explaining myself further in order to defend my case.

No anger involved
And my name is Ryan, nice to meet you

I guess I should back off on debate on metal distortions as I have never found one that satisfies me. None of them have enough features and Bass for me to use them

I honestly just dislike the MT2 because of how thin it sounded all 3 times I have tried one out.
^ Not to anger the BOSS haters, but I've found that the ML2 sounds pretty good IF you run it through a decent amp and EQ it all properly. I own one, I'm hoping to offload it and get a Blackstar Dist-X, but still. I agree about the MT2 though, either do the Keeley mod or don't bother with it.
hey man, name's Mark, and with few exceptions (mainly MIJ's... hehe MIJ's), I generally dislike Boss products, none more so than their OD's/Distortions.

I realize that's been a bandwagon subject for some time, but hey, I agree with the bandwagon.

In all honesty, the best bass response I've heard from a stock dist pedal came from the (god help me) line6 uber metal... quite possibly the most raunchy and disgusting, tho sometimes useful, distortion i've ever heard.

never had a problem with bass from the metal zone, but the metalcore i found very schrill.

i dislike distortions and most ODs in general (admittedly, strange for a guitarist), but they have their purposes, particularly in the studio, and there is certainly a heirarchy regarding quality amongst them.

but i digress.

back to TS's question (thread starter, that's you): there's a wide world of stompbox fx beyond distortions and overdrives. phasers, flangers, chorus, compression, clean boosts, pitch shifters, harmonizers, ring modulators, EQ's and specialty filters, delay, reverb, noise gates, tuners, wahs, volume, whammy... so, still gotta know, how much dough you lookin' to roll out? do you want an "aw, how sweet" response, or do you want to wear her panties as a christmas hat?
I'll have to agree with the Blackstar HT-DistX. I have an HT-Dual and absolutely love it.
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Last edited by lethalagent14 at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by lethalagent14
I'll have to agree with the Blackstar HT-DistX. I have an HT-Dual and absolutely love it.

have you tried an MT-2 Twilight Zone?
oh yea, i recently bought a tubescreamer (ts-7, the cheapest "tubescreamer" ibanez makes). i put it in front of my metal zone, and it definitely does make it sound a whole lot better, making the mids and highs more full (and thus getting rid of the metal zone's admittedly thin sound). i'm using a solid state amp.
Quote by archerygenious

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
oh yea, i recently bought a tubescreamer (ts-7, the cheapest "tubescreamer" ibanez makes). i put it in front of my metal zone, and it definitely does make it sound a whole lot better, making the mids and highs more full (and thus getting rid of the metal zone's admittedly thin sound). i'm using a solid state amp.

Wait, wait, wait a minute, this is making my head spin. So you're running a cheap Tubescreamer into a Boss Metal Zone into a SS amp?

.....?

......?

.......?

I um..

Well OK then.
Dude check out the Damage Control Solid Metal. Decent preamp tubes built in and wicked amounts of gain.
-Ibanez js1200
-Epiphone Les Paul w/ Invader in bridge
-Alvarez acoustic
-Orange Thunderverb 50w w/ 1x12 cab
-Vox Satchurator
-Ibanez ts-9
-Pod x3
-Apple Logic Studio

www.purevolume.com/stoplooklisten
Quote by BobDetroit
Wait, wait, wait a minute, this is making my head spin. So you're running a cheap Tubescreamer into a Boss Metal Zone into a SS amp?

.....?

......?

.......?

I um..

Well OK then.

yeah, i know, i thought the same thing. there's a lot of undeveloped ears on UG that somehow have the power to control adjacent fingers into typing rediculous **** like that.

...just let it be.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Her guitar amplfier Isn't tube based.
Using a Tubescreamer into a Solid State amplifier would sound horrible.

What is your budget?
I'm a fan of Opeth in particular out of those myself.
Only their acoustic peices and the album Deliverance though honestly.

I know the effects that a lot of those bands use so I would be all the willing to help you in your search.

My budget is slightly loose around $100; is it possible to get something good for that? The quality:cost ratio is more important than the actual price.

Quote by GuitarUser

I usually do my Christmas shopping well before retail prices spike upward. I'm not worried about losing her, I'm just a poor college student. :P
Last edited by hvsahin at Sep 21, 2009,
being a gift, do you want to buy it new, or do you mind going used?

EDITh ****, you go to school in Austin? UT?

...or as we Ags call it, TU.

well, check it out bro, you just happen to be in one of the best cities for hidden little music shops with great stuff. go to my profile and look in my friends list for a guy who's screen name is mmolteratx... he's in Austin and also knows his ****. I'm sure he'd be willing to help you out.
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 21, 2009,
*space reserved for when you thank me later*
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by hvsahin
Christmas is around the corner and I want to buy a pedal for my girlfriend. She doesn't own ANY pedals right now, because they're really expensive. Which is a shame, because she's absolutely wicked at guitar.

Her favorite band is Opeth. Other bands she likes (ripped from her MySpace): Apocalyptica, Slipknot, Mr. Jarzombek, Parkway Drive, The Children of Bodom, System of a Down, Black Label Society, Dethklok, Cannibal Corpse, Alice in Chains, The Lamb of God, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, Job for a Cowboy, KoRn, Deftones, Static X, Stone Sour, Mudvayne, and Staind

Thanks so much!

hv

Ha, had a feeling you'd end up posting here, if you check the Reddit thread, you'll find my reply under "Verdelet".
Are you dead set on a dirt pedal?

If the amp's already got a drive channel that is tolerable, think about delay!
Quote by GrisKy
*snip* mmolteratx... he's in Austin and also knows his ****. I'm sure he'd be willing to help you out.

Yes haha, I go to UT. And TU is fine, except we haven't used that name officially in ages. :P

I'll be sure to message this mmolteratx chap. =]
Quote by Blast For Satan
Ha, had a feeling you'd end up posting here, if you check the Reddit thread, you'll find my reply under "Verdelet".

Hey, I saw your message but to be honest I have no freaking clue what kind of amp she has. I need to do some spying.
Hey guys, Update! I just learned that her amp is a "really cheap, crappy practice amp. Would it be possible to get her a good amp (for personal use) for $100-300? What would I look at? I know nothing about amps either.
Quote by hvsahin
Hey guys, Update! I just learned that her amp is a "really cheap, crappy practice amp. Would it be possible to get her a good amp (for personal use) for $100-300? What would I look at? I know nothing about amps either.

B52 AT112

You WILL get sex if you buy that for her.
Quote by phlip999
B52 AT112

You WILL get sex if you buy that for her.

Discontinued and only a few stores carry them

TS GO Used and buy a Flextone
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by BobDetroit

.....?

......?

.......?

I um..

Well OK then.

hey **** you, i'm a poor kid. i bet my tone quality to money spent ratio is more favorable than yours.
Quote by archerygenious

Page 1 of 3