I'm looking to go from acoustic to blown out distortion within the same song, but I have no idea about pedals as ive never used them before. I'm talking about something that will sound like the microphones/early modest mouse/ pavement/ cymbals eat guitars/ neutral milk hotel. Its probably important to note that I dont play with a pick, and will mostly play rhythm

someone once told me to try a Russian big muff.

I'm looking for the cheapest thing possible. It will be used for playing shows not recording so I want something tough.
Last edited by blackmajik2021 at Sep 21, 2009,
Do you have an electric guitar also? Acoustic simulators could be helpful, such as the BOSS AC3, if you can't find exactly what you want.
I want to play acoustic, and then in parts of songs get a really heavy distorted fuzzy overdriven sound. I don't want to play electric, the majority of the songs are written for acoustic.
Ah okay. The Big Muff seems like a pretty good suggestion then. Just gotta watch out for feedback, Acoustic Guitars + Distortion frequently equals a f@#$load of feedback and unwanted noise.
i would recommend you to use berhinger ultra distotion, i had one of those its great, they are not expensive as boss and it could work well great for rithm and solo, if you want something heavy you might want to buy an electric guitar with HH pickups and for the pedal you can buy the heavy dist. or the metal dist.
you hipsters with your nmh, but i think a russian big muff or a ny pig muff will be good for that
Hmm, I don't have much experience myself, but like with anything guitar related- I'd try taking some gear to a guitar shop and getting first hand information.
Quote by blackmajik2021
so I'm between the behringer and the big muff. I'm looking for the cheapest thing possible, but I know behringer has a bad rep (at least with recording equipment)

where do you live?
Avoid Behringer products like the plague - they are poorly constructed, unreliable, and sound like crap.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by blackmajik2021
ny. what the hell does that have to do with anything?

no need to be an asshole i was just gonna say if you lived in the uk theres a cheap one on ebay brand new. go to a ****ing guitar shop its not like you live in the desert
well he was hating on neutral milk hotel so i thought he was going to make some snarky joke about brooklyn or something. my bad.
Last edited by blackmajik2021 at Sep 21, 2009,
This thread is populated by controversy.

I use the Russian Muff myself and absolutely love the thing.
You are going to want to get something to plug the hole in your acoustic electric completely as well to make sure the russian muff doesn't cause massive feedback.

Planet Waves makes a product just for this
EHX Metal Muff can usually be had on Craigslist for less than $50. Much better alternative than the Behringer pedal IMO.
Big Muff, solves everything.

R-fuzz?

depends on how much feedback you get, but then you could get a feedback controller.

But to answer your question, BIG MUFF

I really want a cream puff

from frantone electronix, duh
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
If you're going to play an acoustic, you could kill two birds with one stone and get a Sansamp Para DI. It's a DI, which you'll need for an acoustic, but it also has a good amount of gain if you crank the right knob. Maybe not as much gain as a Big Muff though.
Quote by blackmajik2021
ny. what the hell does that have to do with anything?

typical NYer... all he wanted was your home address so he could suprise you with chocolates and flowers and butt sex you dick.

I don't really even want to help you anymore, but I will say that the thing used to plug the soundhole of your acoustic is called a sound hole plug. There are models with built in humidifiers.
Big Muffs sound awesome on acoustics.

But a soundhole cover is a must to prevent feedback.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Cholas
If you're going to play an acoustic, you could kill two birds with one stone and get a Sansamp Para DI. It's a DI, which you'll need for an acoustic, but it also has a good amount of gain if you crank the right knob. Maybe not as much gain as a Big Muff though.

I dont need a DI....why would I need a di...
Why has no-one pointed out that 'huge distortion' + acoustic = huge feedback?
Even with one of those special soundhole covers, anything more than a moderate crunch is going to be difficult to control.
Quote by kyle62
Why has no-one pointed out that 'huge distortion' + acoustic = huge feedback?

Ahem.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Ah okay. The Big Muff seems like a pretty good suggestion then. Just gotta watch out for feedback, Acoustic Guitars + Distortion frequently equals a f@#$load of feedback and unwanted noise.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']You are going to want to get something to plug the hole in your acoustic electric completely as well to make sure the russian muff doesn't cause massive feedback.

Quote by Bluesy...

depends on how much feedback you get, but then you could get a feedback controller.

Quote by Guitartist
Big Muffs sound awesome on acoustics.

But a soundhole cover is a must to prevent feedback.

Did you read the thread?
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Sampy
Ahem.
Did you read the thread?

Haha, looks like my skim-reading isn't as good as I thought!

Still think it's a crucial thing to bear in mind though.
yeah haha everyone pointed that out. I have a question though. why will i get feedback with pedal if I dont get distortion with my amp? is it because my amp is small? I have a line 6, 30w that I play with the acoustic on "insane distortion" and I don't usually get feedback.