So i've been playing bass guitar for about 6 months now. Im about to buy a new bass, and have a price range of up to $400. What should i get? And also whats a bass without an amp? What amp should i look into? And i want my bass sound to be distinctive, so are there any really cool pedals or anything out there i should look into? Any help is greatly appreciated.
You should for sure drop $400 on an amp before you buy a new bass.

A crap bass will sound OK through a good amp,
but a good bass will sound meh through a crap amp.

What do you play? Be SPECIFIC. Metal? Punk? Funk? It doesn't matter if you play Blink 182, Rush, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, and Red Hot Chili Peppers, the more we know from you, the better our advice can be.

In the $400-$600 range for amps there are typically two suggestions, Acoustic Amplification for a transparent tone (amp affects tone less, a "cleaner" sound, so to speak) and Ashdown MAG series for a colored tone (amp makes tone sound almost a specific way) (this is hard to explain, the difference between transparent and colored, somebody else should chime in and do a better job).

There are other brands in this range too (I suppose maybe Peavey, Hartke, Ampeg, etc., but Acoustic and Ashdown are most recommended on this forum for this range).
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i agree about the amp. i also want to point out that a distinctive tone isn't about effects - it's about how you play and what you dial in on your bass and your amp. it will also be affected by which speakers you use in what conjunction with what head.

sure, the right effects and settings together can create a sound that is distinctly yours, but it doesn't sound like you know exactly how you want to sound.
Last edited by patticake at Sep 21, 2009,
There are more amp options in that range. Kustom and Hartke both have great stuff in that range. I'd suggest Kustom, honestly. They're a lot like Peavey...warm, clean tone, build solidly, and effing loud.
Nope, no sig here.
6 months and you want a new bass, i was happy for 2 years. The actual bass shouldnt be a concern at all, your playing standard, ability and technique should all be first and focused on. I agree though buy a good amp, ashdown, peavey, hartke are all good.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
6 months and you want a new bass, i was happy for 2 years. The actual bass shouldnt be a concern at all, your playing standard, ability and technique should all be first and focused on. I agree though buy a good amp, ashdown, peavey, hartke are all good.

Well my strap broke and I cracked my bass. So I have to get a new one.
Also, is this for gigging or just for playing at home? If you're playing at home, a 30 watt amp will do you fine, but if you're planning on gigging with this rig, you may need to wait a bit until your budget increases.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by Mephysteaux
Also, is this for gigging or just for playing at home? If you're playing at home, a 30 watt amp will do you fine, but if you're planning on gigging with this rig, you may need to wait a bit until your budget increases.

It's for gigging.
300w seems to be the magic number for gigging.
What style of music do you play?
Quote by gwath42
300w seems to be the magic number for gigging.
What style of music do you play?

genre wise I don't even know, I mean it's rock. If you search YouTube for paper sky theory, you'll find the video of us playing at a local bar.. And you can judge what kind of music we play.
That one video? Hm, I think the "typical" of that would use a MAG with some slight overdrive, but I think it would sound amazing with a really thick clean tone instead because of the twangy strat (what does the other guitarist use?)

basically, I mean that you luckily have the freedom of using anything if that minute defined what kind of music you play. Sort of like alt-rock influenced by some indie and stuff.

As for what bass (if you need to replace it), get whatever you want, you don't need to really go into a specific type of bass with that kind of music. I'd assume bands similar to you use like P, J, or Deluxe (both pups) basses. A bass with soapbars might be kind of atypical, but it isn't against the law to be atypical. Go for what you think sounds good, basically.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
That one video? Hm, I think the "typical" of that would use a MAG with some slight overdrive, but I think it would sound amazing with a really thick clean tone instead because of the twangy strat (what does the other guitarist use?)

The other guitarist uses a Les Paul studio edition.